Author Topic: An excuse for a referee  (Read 3904 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
An excuse for a referee
« on: February 12, 2022, 09:10:08 PM »
Paul Brown is, and always has been one of the poorest referees to officiate a Boston match.

Southport took full advantage of his biased and inept performance.

I can remember starting a thread on him a few years back, but am unable to trace it. My mate started timing their keeper on goal kicks. He timed them between 35 seconds and 62 seconds.  Over a minute to take and nothing said.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 09:20:23 AM by Dipdodah »
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Greengrass

• View Profile
Re: An excuse of a referee
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 09:29:31 PM »
Has your mate ever timed Dewhurst when we are away and one nil up?
It's a disease in football that's been around for years and getting worse.
Ref was average for the league we are in. Both teams were below average, really felt like I shouldn't have bothered.

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 09:37:19 PM »
Fair enough but how much time is added on at the end to take account of this time wasted? Their defender was down injured most of the time and you just don’t get the time back. Refs (especially this one) should add this ‘game management’ on at the end. They rarely do. I hate to see it, even by us..

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 09:32:55 AM »
Ref was average for the league we are in. Both teams were below average, really felt like I shouldn't have bothered.

I know what you mean, but yesterday was taking the proverbial.  Not the best match I agree.  Four things spoiled it in my opinion.  Not in any particular order.
1,  The wind
2,  The referee
3,  Southport's tactics
4,  Our inability to string no more than two passes together.

I think a playoff place is touch and go unless we improve.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: An excuse for a referee
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 07:48:06 AM »
Referee was bang average to be frank, can't say I was too offended by anything he did. And in all honesty, in not adding extra minutes on towards the end I think he was doing humanity a huge favour.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 08:54:41 AM »
Worst game I've seen in a very long time, the referee's only real crime was not nipping the time wasting in the bud but lets be honest, if it were us 1-0 up away from home we'd do the same so I'm not going to get all pious about it. I usually stay until the end but left with 10 minutes to play and I can honestly say I've no regrets about missing the goal. This current Utd side have thrown one manager under a bus and there's so many doing the absolute minimum I can't wait to see the season end, hopefully in mid table mediocrity so Cox has all the excuse he needs for a proper clear out of this eminently dis likable group of players. 

Oh, and I wonder if the corporate guests had the same waiting time as us mere fans? I get the staffing issues but I'll wager there's no problems in the hospitality areas. Its about time it was sorted, our money is just as good as theirs.   

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 09:24:04 AM »
Speaking to David Newton afterwards he said staffing in all areas of the stadium is a huge problem. Service in Club 85 was slicker than it has been in the past but they've had to cap numbers in there at 170 as that's the maximum capacity current staffing levels can cope with - they overstretched themselves over Christmas. They need extra chefs to cover hospitality/Ellenders but are struggling to get anyone in even for an interview and have even had to close the restaurant due to there being no-one available! The long waits in the concourses are a known problem but again, staff are just hard to come by and the club is competing with several employers in the area who have exactly the same issue. They are trying to fix it though - I suppose a statement to that effect on the website might help as I think a lot of fans think their moans are being ignored.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 12:31:21 PM »

When was the last time we were 1 up away from home?  😄🤣

artie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 03:53:33 PM »
Morpeth in the trophy and Blyth in a league match 😁

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 12:28:55 PM »
Did you expect anything different. Even there own fans made comments on the time wasting. But it was said before the game that expect 30 min football each way and 15 min each way wasting time. Anyway, how is everyone enjoying the cox ball show

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 01:58:32 PM »
Exactly, I'd have fully expected us to do exactly what Southport did had the roles been reversed. Should the ref have hurried them along a bit more? Yeah, probably - but while they were testing everyone's patience a bit, it wasn't completely outrageous.

As for the tactics, think it's unfair on Cox to draw any kind of summary from Saturday. I didn't much enjoy watching us keep launching balls long into the wind knowing full well it was going to end up going backwards, but the game as a whole was just woeful. We'll have much more of an idea soon enough...

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 02:10:38 PM »
. Anyway, how is everyone enjoying the cox ball show

You've got to give it time, probably even this time next year he'll still be looking at sorting things out because lets not beat about the bush, we've some proper tossers out there this season. In past seasons when we've had a poor side its been understandable as its been a rebuilding job, but most of this lot have come with good reputations and they've let everyone down with some pitiful performances. And the blame lies with Elliott 100%, for bringing them to the club and tolerating abysmal performances and terrible attitudes in some cases. I heard Duxbury said the players were giving an extra 10% since the change.......to me that's an admission they weren't giving it 100% before, surely that's a minimum requirement and a damning indictment of the regime overseen by Elliott. 

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 03:40:26 PM »
Yes, that's what Duxbury said in Club 85 after the game. Basically chucked Elliott under the bus, said things were much better now and everyone was giving an extra 10%.

I don't think that statement landed as he intended - I winced at it. If I'm forking out money to watch you lot play, I don't want to hear that you weren't trying as hard as you could under a manager you didn't like. That's just pathetic.

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2022, 07:16:59 PM »
He certainly always seems to play within himself. Am I the only one who was surprised he got MOM?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2022, 08:14:17 AM »
I was sat in front of the match sponsors and when Duxbury was announced as MOTM they just seemed relieved their choice didn't get booed!!

Tricky to pick anyone out of the mess on Saturday to be fair.