Author Topic: Newsham v Middleton  (Read 2707 times)

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Newsham v Middleton
« on: January 23, 2022, 05:40:06 PM »
For reasons with which I won't bore you, I watched Sheffield FC v Cleethorpes yesterday. Cleethorpes won 1-0 with one of the rare moments of class in the game. It was an extremely competitive and full-blooded game, marred only by play-acting which led to one player on each side being sent off. For BUFC fans it was notable to see Marc Newsham being patrolled most of the game by Ben Middleton. They pretty much cancelled each other out on a heavy pitch. Just for good measure Ryan Cresswell is now the manager at Sheffield and Jamie Yates is player/coach (he stayed on the bench yesterday).

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Newsham v Middleton
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 08:25:40 AM »
Hallam are getting amazing gates, 700+ again on Saturday, it seems several hundred Utd or Wendy fans go there for their football fix when the respective side is away. I 'went' to Sheffield FC just before Xmas only for the game to be postponed at 2.30 due to waterlogging, and with it being in Dronfield right on the edge of the city I had no time to go to any other game.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 09:18:47 AM »
Hallam are getting amazing gates, 700+ again on Saturday, it seems several hundred Utd or Wendy fans go there for their football fix when the respective side is away. I 'went' to Sheffield FC just before Xmas only for the game to be postponed at 2.30 due to waterlogging, and with it being in Dronfield right on the edge of the city I had no time to go to any other game.

Perhaps you managed to seek solace in the excellent pub which is more or less in the ground. I had a couple of pints of very good porter before the game whilst chatting to a couple of Wednesday supporters. It doesn't surprise me that the pitch is prone to waterlogging!

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 10:45:36 AM »
Yes N40s I was as Hallam on Saturday (its 15 minutes walk from my house). It is a lot busier this season than it has been in the past perhaps because they are doing so well. The forwards are clinical in front of goal and I assume teams from higher up are looking at Iren Wilson, the centre forward...

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 10:49:21 AM »

Perhaps you managed to seek solace in the excellent pub which is more or less in the ground. I had a couple of pints of very good porter before the game whilst chatting to a couple of Wednesday supporters. It doesn't surprise me that the pitch is prone to waterlogging!

No, I was driving so turned round and went back into Sheffield, I was on a lads weekend away and snook away for a few hours break in the drinking! Saw the pub though and I know its been highly recommended.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 10:50:14 AM »
Yes N40s I was as Hallam on Saturday (its 15 minutes walk from my house). It is a lot busier this season than it has been in the past perhaps because they are doing so well. The forwards are clinical in front of goal and I assume teams from higher up are looking at Iren Wilson, the centre forward...

and no doubt the bottle bar and club house facilities are a bit of a draw too

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 06:10:49 PM »
They are! I can't tell you how they have changed since previous seasons as both times I've been recently the bar has been too crowded to even get in...

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 12:21:13 PM »
I must get over one of these day John, if SUFC & BUFC have a blank Saturday and Hallam are at home I might make a day of it.

That's a few stars having to align but I'd like to get the ground ticked off.

So much football heritage in Sheffield, certainly its the cradle of modern football as we know it...... it would have been the ideal place for the football museum but all the money seems to go to Manchester these days

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 08:02:51 AM »
Yes Andy, given the city has the oldest club, oldest ground and oldest club called United, Sheffield doesn't make much of its football heritage - just a few signs as you enter the city and Home of football walking tour app that isn't that well publicised...