Author Topic: Chester FC  (Read 3757 times)

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
Chester FC
« on: November 06, 2021, 06:46:15 PM »
What a truly awful day this has been.
My train journey to Chester from Kearsley was delayed and then terminated at Warringron. Had to hang about there for another train to Chester.
Now my return train has been cancelled and having to take a convoluted route home.
And in-between had to witness a performance like that. Even before the sendings off we had made Chester look good and mustered very little in the first half. But for a succession of saves by Peter Crook we could have been 0-4 down at half-time.
The less said about the second half the better. A much better side than Chester would have probably scored 6 or 7 after we had gone down to 9 players.
Must say well done though to Keenan Ferguson for his cameo when he was brought on. Gave the Chester defence more work to do in the last 10 mins on his own than the whole team had done in the first 80!!
Despite everything today no doubt I'll be at Southport next Saturday!!

Bodge

• View Profile
Re: Chester FC
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 06:55:06 PM »
I admire your commitment, I’m afraid I lost faith in our management team a while ago. So negative and devoid of ideas away from home.

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 10:39:46 PM »
Agree with all.

I've put my thoughts on the FB page so won't go into it all again on here other than to say it was a truly awful performance.

One positive though is it looked a good turn out from us, more than I expected.

Highlight for me was the Alton Towers fireworks on the drive back and I don't usually like fireworks!

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 11:16:19 PM »
We all know how the windup merchants in the Chester dug out work and we fell for the trap as did the referee. We did say in the first 15 minutes that someone would get sent off before the end as the referee had lost control of the game. That game has now gone we now move on to the next, onwards and upwards. Already booked a seat on the coach.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 03:10:01 PM »
Just about to watch Stratford in the F A cup and already peed off with the amount of comments on their win over us which is just rubbing salt into the wounds after yesterday.
So on to yesterdays game which was as humiliating as the loss against Stratford. Yet again a performance away from home like all the others ie; pathetic,absolutely no attacking in the first half and 1 down to a good but poorly defended goal. We were all speculating on the second half and suggesting we should throw everything at them, How daft are we such a thing will never be on the managers agenda (as he suggested in in post match interview he was content to be one down after 55 minutes) it always seems to be go out there and hang on and we may be able to do something later in the game. Yes the officials were poor but most are at this level although this ref is up there with the very worst,both sendings off were inevitable and acts of sheer stupidity shortly after being booked. It says everything that our best player was our keeper who made some great saves without which it would have been far worse. Sorry but too many players don't look interested with a few exceptions eg; Jordan Burrows who works his socks off and Fergie when he came on far to late but caused them problems on the front foot when all was lost. People know I will travel anywhere to support the club but I will give Southport a miss next week as the dismal away performances have become so predictable I can't face anymore at present.  UTP

brummie exile 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 08:28:42 PM »
February 2019 to November 2021. Both away games at Chester. 4-1 and 4-0. Both matches totally devoid of any attacking threat. Both results could have been in double figures. Only notable difference, 2 players sent off yesterday. I went to the first game and the only good thing about it was a pint or two with OXO in the club bar before the game. In 2 years 9 months there has been no progress. I stand by my previous post, if Utd are not in the play-off positions at New Year,, CE should go. DN has given him a fair crack of the whip.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 08:22:28 AM »
The sooner CE is gone the better, he's in danger of undoing all the good work everyone else at the club is doing in attracting a new generation of supporters to the new ground. 45 years a supporter and I've seen some poor sides and managers but I've always kept going but the current regime have managed to do what Ray O'Brien, Mel Sterland & Peter Morris failed to do and thats stop me going. Its awful, no structure or pattern to our play, just aimless punts up field and the same mistakes being made week after week while the support staff offer nothing but swearing at the players and the officials.
But while are averaging 16/1700 gates and the hospitality is full DN is unlikely to pull the trigger, the shame is that if we had an entertaining side to watch we'd be pushing 2000 punters with the new ground bounce. Its great we've got an extra 3/400 punters but it could be so much better if people felt they were going to be entertained, sadly thats not happened this season and that failing falls firmly at the team managements door.

Its time for a change David, lets get the fun back into watching the team. 

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 01:26:17 PM »
If anybody is interested, the highlights are on youtube . Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEaZvzkRl2k. Their players seemed much sharper whereas our players left too much space for them to use. They must close down players on the ball more quickly. It was almost they were afraid to do this at times. Their manager gave an honest interview and thought Duxbury`s sending off was harsh.

southender

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 07:34:33 PM »
Well put, Oxo. You've captured everything I have been thinking. My only disagreement was I didn't think the officials were poor but our team certainly was.
I have been to 3 away games this season Fylde, Leamington and Chester. We lost them all and didn't score in any of them. At Fylde we played as a team, were certainly their equal and deserved a draw. The other 2 were absolute shockers.
I was very positive about the team we assembled for this season. Whilst I didn't expect the team to perform perfectly from day 1, i thought by now we would see signs that we would be a team to be reckoned with. But with the exception of the Fylde and York games  I have seen little to make me think we will be challenging at the top come the end of the season. Leaving aside the early FA Cup games we have been second best for long periods of games against supposed weaker teams, even in home victories. But what was worse were the 2 away games where we totally outplayed (even before we went down to 10/9 men). We have no divine right to win games but given the players we have, we should be doing a lot more. As Oxo said the manager seeming to accept being 1 down after 55 mins and then trying to change it is simply not good enough. We were awful in the first half - why? We were playing a team with a very leaky defence and an even more embarrassing exit from the FA Cup than us. Yet we offered nothing in attack. The only players to come away with any credit were the keeper who kept us in the game in the first half, Garner who always gives 100% and Burrow who won everything in the air. Ferguson came on and showed great commitment, Byrne at long last woke up and Jordan Preston who did his best on his own against at least 3 defenders.

The 2 sendings off were totally justified and stupid. Duxbury had a running battle with their winger from the start and was spoken to by thr ref in the first half. Message to Duxbury - don't shake your head at the ref in disbelief when you have been correctly pulled up for a foul or develop temporary deafness by pretending not to hear the ref when he wants to speak to you. It will not endear yourself to him. Elliott I can only assume was frustrated by the crap service he received all game or at least till he was sent off but he did commit 2 bookable offences and deserved to walk.

We certainly miss Shiels at the back and have had a number of injuries and suspensions this season. But the manager has been backed by the chairman to get replacements in - something not all our rivals have had the luxury of. The suspensions are self inflicted and should not be used as an excuse. At the end the team to their credit came over to applaud the fans, though not too close as they probably didn't want to hear the shouts of rubbish.

Craig says he never gets too carried away when we win or lose. Well I hope this time he does and let the players know that improvement is needed now or move on - them and him.

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 10:32:45 AM »
I see Chester's attendance v Darlo yesterday was 900 or so up on last week's against us.

Amazing what a big win does, but four coach loads of Darlo fans also helped to take it to just over 2,300.

Mad Dog

• View Profile

gatley pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 05:43:09 PM »
Spoke to a Chester fan today and apparently they gave away some tickets to school children for the game against Darlo.