Author Topic: Jordan Preston  (Read 2506 times)

scottbufc

• View Profile
Jordan Preston
« on: November 03, 2021, 09:44:45 AM »
During our 'bad' run 2-3 weeks ago I was shocked he couldn't get a game, he looked half decent when he did play, came with a good reputation of success at our level and slightly higher but seems to have been frozen out a little.

Now we've picked up and strung some results together I don't actually think I'd pick him ahead of any of what seems to be our favoured midfield & forward line currently. Not because he's a bad player but I don't see where he'd fit. Certainly not going to play ahead of Platt/Bryne and for me not Leesley/F. Preston. Burrow can't be faulted at the moment and Danny is our top scorer.

How must he be feeling having come with a good rep and proven success at this level to find himself unable to even get a minute now when the likes of Lalkovic who have just signed are getting on ahead of him? How must he be feeling?

Do you expect Preston to stick around?

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan Preston
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 09:57:46 AM »
Yes, I do think he should stick with us and he will get his chance again.  Earlier on we lost both our regular full backs to injury, Crook was out injured, Rollins and Thanoj out for different reasons and now two centre backs are out injured. Things change quickly in football.

On the plus side, it's good to be worried that we have too many good players to fit in our first eleven and it gives us a strong bench, which is often a good judge of how strong a squad is.
United we stand..................

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 08:53:46 PM »
During our 'bad' run 2-3 weeks ago I was shocked he couldn't get a game

He was coming back from injury.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 10:05:50 AM »

Would you have him in your first XI Scotty? I suspect on your FM ratings this year he'd have higher rated attributes than most others in the squad!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »

Would you have him in your first XI Scotty? I suspect on your FM ratings this year he'd have higher rated attributes than most others in the squad!

I'd like to see him play up top with Burrow, there's seems to be an effortless flair to JP's game. He likes bringing others into play outwide.

He's actually quite low - still rated from the Gateshead side from last season, and will need to play more games for me to bump him up. The new guy Lalkovic would be our best player (but I think he signed too late for FM's release on Tuesday), ratings-wise, followed by Green, Wright Snr, Tootle and Byrne. Toughest decision will be Tootle v Ferguson at right back.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 01:43:51 PM »
Out of interest Scotty (and I'm not having a go), why would you rate Lalkovic as our best player if you've barely seen him play? What's the logic behind that?

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 03:45:02 PM »
Fair enough. I agree about seeing him up top and how he looks effortless even though he is putting a lot of effort in. I remember when he came on at Gateshead a few weeks back he tried to get on the end of everything which considering the score couldn't be said about every player. If you go onto his Linkedin (which is an interesting/unusual read!) he goes through his career/goals and never once describes himself as a forward.

That doesn't surprise me about Lalkovic, I assume he holds a high rating as he's been at some bigger clubs over the years. I hope we see the best of him but looking at his career bar Walsall he's only played a handful of games for every club he's been at...and there's been a lot which makes me think we won't see the best of him. His Twitter seems to suggest he's more focused on being a high-end travel agent now rather than a footballer!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 08:16:53 PM »
Out of interest Scotty (and I'm not having a go), why would you rate Lalkovic as our best player if you've barely seen him play? What's the logic behind that?

I don't rate him (yet), the researcher from his previous club/league has done. If we immediately rated players based on their debut the whole database would be screwed up each summer. We rely on the previous people doing their job, and then adjust as necessary after a few games.

He's come from the 2nd tier of a European country with a decent international pedigree, and was nominated for European Golden Boy in 2012, alongside some proper superstars (Isco won it). His previous 2 clubs before that were top tier, and last English club was Portsmouth. His ability right now *should* see him as our best player, this is the lowest level he's ever played at.