Author Topic: v Stratford  (Read 7575 times)

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: v Stratford
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 09:17:31 PM »
Could have killed em off early but after the disallowed (Preston)goal it gave stratford confidence I reckon. Anyhow clean sheet for Tuesday and a hell of a incentive to turn up muck in and get through to round one. Good luck dudes - whoever wants it more will progress

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 08:23:49 AM »
I console myself with the thought that surely Boston can't be as bad next time.

I'm not sure with this man in charge, he has an unerring ability to set new low water marks with away performances just lately. Regardless of the replay result he has to go sooner rather than later or this landmark season will drift into mid table mediocrity and the new support will be lost as interest wanes. 

I think that was Stratford's very best though and our very worst, I'm really hoping I'm proved correct tomorrow night.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 11:17:58 AM »
I can't make any defence of Jake Wright. I like him as a player, and he seems an engaging character off the field, but there can be no defence of his inability to stay on the pitch, or at least not get booked, within minutes of coming on. It's no defence to say that he gets in the opposition's faces and may sometimes go too far. There are plenty of players who manage to wind up the opposition without getting booked and/or sent off regularly. He let his team down and someone needs to get a grip on him (best, of course, if he can do it himself).

I was also dispirited by our tactics. This unproductive and desperately predictable passing across the field all the time played into Stratford's hands. Fair play to them, they came with a plan but we made it so easy for them to get behind the ball and in position whilst we passed it about getting absolutely nowhere. Sitting where I do, there seemed to be no urging from the dugout to move it around quicker. The glimmer of hope was Preston. The moment he got the ball the play immediately speeded up and we looked dangerous. Everything else was far too slow. And why do central defenders pass the ball to someone being closely marked when they have acres of room to push forward? When the other Jake Wright started moving forward more in the second half it unsettled Stratford and opened up space (think what players like Alan Hansen used to do). But not often enough, needless to say.

I'm probably in a minority who didn't think the ref had a bad game. If I understood him from my position, he told Elliott that the 'goal' was disallowed because it went through the Boston player's legs who was presumably offside. If that was the case, then he was right to disallow it.

Anyway, let's hope they can put on a decent performance tomorrow evening. UTP!

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 11:28:05 AM »
looking at the highlights there is a good angle/replay of the sending off incident (715) I cant see whether jake lashed out with his leg or not at the keeper but there didnt look a lot in it - he also didnt seem to react when 3 stratford players came flying in at him and the keeper seeed to go down 'fairly easily'....

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 12:19:16 PM »
I take my earlier comment about not defending Jakes Red Card. After doing it frame by frame its clear the only movement from jakes leg was when the keeper moved his from under Jakes. They should have had at least 1 red and a yellow. also a penalty should have been given for the way Jake was poll axed

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2021, 01:06:49 PM »
I take my earlier comment about not defending Jakes Red Card. After doing it frame by frame its clear the only movement from jakes leg was when the keeper moved his from under Jakes. They should have had at least 1 red and a yellow. also a penalty should have been given for the way Jake was poll axed

We both had a great angle from the terrace - he definitely kicked out, deserved at least a 2nd yellow. However the Stratford number 5 should've walked too, for pinning Wright down by his neck. Their number 6 and the keeper don't come out of it well either.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Batistuta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2021, 04:04:51 PM »
Jake Wright definitely did enough to warrant a yellow card as a minimum. Yes the lack of any card for them doesn't reflect well on the officials, but I'm assuming that it's the assistant on that side, rather than the referee, who impacted on those decisions.

End of the day, Wright did something idiotic, got caught out and let the team down. Can't defend him.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 05:05:43 PM »

We both had a great angle from the terrace - he definitely kicked out, deserved at least a 2nd yellow. However the Stratford number 5 should've walked too, for pinning Wright down by his neck. Their number 6 and the keeper don't come out of it well either.

We did. i was directly behind it and a first it looked as if he had but breaking it right down into segments the only movement from jakes feet is from the fall all movement was natural. Then there was movement coursed by there keeper pulling clear from the tangle there legs was in. The tangle was also coursed by there keeper as he put is knee in when getting up. At that point Jake pulled his feet away. There no offence that i can see and even Trever who came with me who is a ref himself could not understand how Jake got a yellow (2nd)

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 10:37:16 PM »
I'm just worried now. a) we are not that good away from home this season (albeit some tough sides so far in league) b) Stratford website encouraging the whole town to turn up as "the biggest game in their entire history" - bacl to 1946 c) it's not going to be easy for too many away fans to get to (maybe on this last point I'm just reflecting that by train I need to leave London at 1637 and would then get back to Paddington at 0608 via overnight trains through Banbury, Oxford and Reading).

I'll be driving to London after the game so could give you a lift if you like? I'm planning to drive to Stanmore as I need to be in London for work on Wed and it's an easier drive back to Lincs from there Wed evening rather than driving into central so if that works happy for you to jump in with me after the game?

gatley pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2021, 07:04:42 PM »
wright jnr starts tonight, how long will he last on the pitch, surely their players are going to wind him up.

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2021, 07:23:50 PM »
Aye, but Jake has something to prove!!!

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2021, 08:20:38 PM »

He'll soon have to start proving it we are losing 1-0 already!

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2021, 09:10:41 PM »

He'll soon have to start proving it we are losing 1-0 already!

make that 2-0

Batistuta

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2021, 09:20:21 PM »
2-1, Leesley. Wright just been subbed off, didn't prove much. Makes you wonder.

Batistuta

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2021, 09:25:40 PM »
When Burrow came on yesterday he won headers and held the ball up...

2-2 Burrow Header