Author Topic: v Stratford  (Read 7604 times)

Worsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
v Stratford
« on: October 16, 2021, 10:22:17 PM »
So I take it by the lack of reaction you guys are as fed up as I was witnessing that mess of a game ?

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: v Stratford
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 10:41:55 PM »
It wasn’t great admittedly, but at least we’re in the hat tomorrow and we have a chance to make amends on Tuesday.  I think credit should be given to the opposition. They came with a plan, they stuck to it and as a result they got something out of it.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Batistuta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 11:29:01 PM »
I'm confused how anybody can argue Wright's red card. I saw both incidents and can't complain about either. Could make an argument that at least one of their players should have seen some sort of card but that doesn't detract from how idiotically stupid Wright was.

I honestly can't think of any sustained benefit he brings to the team other than s***housing refereeing decisions like the penalty against Telford.

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 03:35:41 AM »
First half we were passing it backwards and forwards in our own half. I understand we were trying to get them to come out, trouble was we kept giving possession away.
Second half we were much better, if it wasn't for their big defenders I'm certain we would have scored.
Like others around me saying it was definitely a sending off, I really expected a straight red.
Another game we really didn't need but who knows what will happened Tuesday night.
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 07:52:51 AM »
Undoubtedly Jake Wright is a very talented player but his fiery nature is his (and the teams) undoing. I think that’s why he hasn’t been given a start apart from this Saturday. Give him a start and he’s unlikely to last the game. Give him 15 to 20 minutes at the end of a game and he can make an impact with the possibility of just a yellow card.

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 09:52:43 AM »
I console myself with the thought that surely Boston can't be as bad next time.

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 10:04:13 AM »
Undoubtedly Jake Wright is a very talented player but his fiery nature is his (and the teams) undoing. I think that’s why he hasn’t been given a start apart from this Saturday. Give him a start and he’s unlikely to last the game. Give him 15 to 20 minutes at the end of a game and he can make an impact with the possibility of just a yellow card.

But he wasn't given a start. He came on in the 2nd half.

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 10:10:27 AM »
Apologies. Even 45 mins too long. Should be limited to 15-20 mins max

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 10:41:06 AM »
Jake right makes a massive impact when he comes on. The game changed yesterday once he came on. same as the several matches this season, but i guess some people will only ever see what they want to see longs it means they have something to pine and moan about. Jake is that wind up player every team needs when you need someone to do the dirty business. And yes sometimes he goes a bit far like yesterday and gets a red but take that away from him do you have the same player left. When he got the red yesterday it was a blow as at that time he looked the most likely person to score. Never doubt the red but where is the level playing field. One player has is foot in his chest the other with his hands round his neck both straight reds. Keeper starts to get up for a fight then see play as stopped so he dive back down and rolls around. My Brother in law hates football as he says its the only game they teach you to cheat and TBF on yesterdays match he has a big point

Batistuta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 11:17:58 AM »
I'm not saying he didn't make a difference because he did, and he sure as hell did when he got sent off.

Who's to say bringing on Burrow or Preston wouldn't have changed the game? My guess is it would have, because they clearly set up man marking each midfielder so taking one off and putting a striker on was bound to change it.

I wouldn't play him again after that, he knew full well what he was doing and we can complain about the lack of cards for their players but he played that risky game and at the end of the day let the team down. Indefensible.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 11:45:09 AM by Batistuta »

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 11:52:11 AM »
I'm Yet to see Burrow Make any sort of impact the way Jake does. to look at what a player does we have to look past goal scoring and look at other things. I.E. Jake as a good ability of holding the ball up better than most. Something that can win games. He can wind up players and get there heads in a mess, something else that can win games. He drives a players.

I never get some fans. They shout for us to get into players and when they do they moan when it goes wrong.
If you would not play a player Because he got a bit rash then most teams would not be able to field a 5 a side let alone 11

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 12:01:08 PM »
I'm just worried now. a) we are not that good away from home this season (albeit some tough sides so far in league) b) Stratford website encouraging the whole town to turn up as "the biggest game in their entire history" - bacl to 1946 c) it's not going to be easy for too many away fans to get to (maybe on this last point I'm just reflecting that by train I need to leave London at 1637 and would then get back to Paddington at 0608 via overnight trains through Banbury, Oxford and Reading).

Batistuta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 12:31:42 PM »
When Burrow came on yesterday he won headers and held the ball up without getting sent off (or picking up a yellow for that matter). I'm not denying that Wright doesn't try to get into opposition players heads, but he often goes too far and gets himself in trouble.

I would rather have a player on the pitch who isn't at risk of picking up a yellow card for doing some completely indefensible, which he did yesterday (twice!).

I'm sorry but I wouldn't call what he did 'a bit rash'. He left his foot in on the player once the ball had already gone and then left both feet in on the keeper in an attempt to get one of their players sent off. Look how that turned out.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 12:35:11 PM by Batistuta »

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 12:38:03 PM »
I have waited until today to post.  I came away from the game yesterday blood boiling.

First things first.  The officials were worse than bad. I have no complaints with the Wright sending off.  When I saw him start the second half, I said he would not last the game out.  His mouth gets him in trouble.  No excuse for that. The referee should have given out more cards in the Wright incident.  I was surprised no reds were given.  Jake Wright's card was another yellow. So he got booked for something else ( gobbing off maybe? ) Violent conduct is a straight red. I saw plenty of violent conduct in the incident, a lot from their players, but no more cards. The disallowed goal from Preston was another incident. It was one of the best goals I have seen down the new ground. Beating several players and planting the ball in the onion sack.  Only for it to be ruled out because Green was in an offside position.  If that had counted I think we would have gone on to win the game.

The tactics we employed left me scratching my head.  Tap tap football ( have they been watching England ? )  Passing the ball across the back, getting to the halfway line and doing it all again.  Our best full backs were left on the bench.  We gave them no respect.  It was as if we had a given right to be in the next round.  This is supposed to be the best squad we have assembled, they have to improve a lot to convince me.

Also, who's the guy kicking off in the bench area?  He wore a green shirt. I thought it was coming to blows.  I think he is one of our many coaches.

A big crowd yesterday, how many will not be returning?

End of rant.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 01:23:48 PM »
Winner on Tuesday evening are home to Shrewsbury in Round 1
United we stand..................