Author Topic: FA Cup 3rd qualifying round - is it still a regionalised draw?  (Read 4064 times)

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
FA Cup 3rd qualifying round - is it still a regionalised draw?
« on: September 19, 2021, 11:18:07 AM »
Can Norwich United be drawn against Boston United in the next round?! Ken and/or Scotty need your extensive knowledge on this! Is it still a regionalised draw and, if so, what clubs could Boston United be meeting.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Kirtonian

• View Profile
Re: FA Cup 3rd qualifying round - is it still a regionalised draw?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 03:12:39 PM »
I'm not that knowledgeable BB, but I am sure at the next stage it will be a North/South divide. It's highly unlikely that Bath City would play York Cityfor example. I looked at the results in the Mail on Sunday and it's obviously regionalised. That said we were down as Boston Town!!

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 06:12:27 PM »
Nothing specific on the FA website, but there does seem to be a north / south divide in Q3 games in previous years. I guess it depends on how the clubs in the round are distributed geographically. Boston United seem to get drawn against Midlands or Southern teams at this stage, though back in 2012 we got an away game against Tadcaster Albion up here in Yorkshire and in 2008 we got a trip to Southport. So teams in the Midlands can probably get drawn against either Northern or Southern teams, so it could be anyone for us.

Won't have long to wait to find out though, looks like the draw is at 1pm tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:15:04 PM by Ken Fox »

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 06:35:54 PM »
We got Lowestoft in cup a few years ago which as a fellow Norwich exile it was fairly close away trip (not  a match to remember fondly) so should think Norwich United away is also a possibility. I'm sure last year or year before it was split north south and Midlands for regions with us and being Midlands

Timshorts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 08:38:35 PM »
I always thought that it was regionalised but staggered so that in theory anyone could draw anyone else.
Start with, say, 32 balls of the most northerly clubs, then when you get down to 8, throw in the next 24 and so on.
The order that they come out of the draw always follows the same order in the early stages, starting with Morpeth v Ashington, heading down, and then going east to west along the south coast until you get to Truro City v Bridport.

Guernsey used to be counted as if it was based in Gatwick, so I suppose Jersey will be similar.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 10:30:11 PM »
Start with, say, 32 balls of the most northerly clubs, then when you get down to 8, throw in the next 24 and so on.

That's simply not true.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 08:33:28 AM »
Thanks for replies, guys. Agree not very transparent who a team can be drawn against. Still, we'll find out properly at 1:00pm today!
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 02:03:26 PM »
Norwich United got Stamford away, instead
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 04:53:19 PM »
It's a shame the draw doesn't get more media coverage than it does. As far as I can tell its only available via the FA website and then via club social media accounts. Surely there's enough interest from clubs, officials and fans to warrant maybe a 30 minute slot on a station such as Talk Sport? It would also make the whole thing a lot more transparent in terms of how it is actually carried out.

At what stage does the media start to cover the draw?

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 06:25:50 PM »
Good draws for both my favourite clubs - I'm now a Boston exile! Norwich United will be tough opponents for The Daniels and this may go to a replay. Hope The Pilgrims eventually take on The Rocks who I used to watch as a lad when they ground shared, as an Essex League team, with Tilbury FC.   

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 06:43:55 PM »
It's a shame the draw doesn't get more media coverage than it does. As far as I can tell its only available via the FA website and then via club social media accounts. Surely there's enough interest from clubs, officials and fans to warrant maybe a 30 minute slot on a station such as Talk Sport? It would also make the whole thing a lot more transparent in terms of how it is actually carried out.

At what stage does the media start to cover the draw?

Talksport covered the Q3 draw 2 years ago. And the 4th qualy draw I believe
Maybe because of covid it was done by 1 man behind closed doors

Timshorts

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 08:47:04 PM »

That's simply not true.

If its not, then there is occasionally some wierd stuff that goes on. The early rounds clearly are fixed in a way that regionalises fixtures into at least four groupings. Then you get the odd wierd one where, say, Merthyr get to play Portchester away.
I notice that you don't come up with an alternative suggestion for the process.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 11:38:38 PM »

That's simply not true.

If its not, then there is occasionally some wierd stuff that goes on. The early rounds clearly are fixed in a way that regionalises fixtures into at least four groupings. Then you get the odd wierd one where, say, Merthyr get to play Portchester away.
I notice that you don't come up with an alternative suggestion for the process.

You every now and then get clubs drawn together who are at the extremes of the boundaries. You could argue that both Merthyr and Portchester are in the south west quarter of the country.

The daw is split into several regional sections at the extra preliminary round, and these sections get larger right until it goes national at round 1. Your suggestion of them "throwing in" the next lot of clubs basically makes a mockery of the draw and any regionalisation.

Bunyan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 10:06:20 AM »
Looks as though Stamford v Norwich United was the tie drawn out before Boston United v East Thurrock or Needham. Just a whisker away from an ideal tie for Burgh Boy of Norwich United v Pilgrims. Who knows- maybe the next round if Norwich U can overcome the Daniels.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 10:09:42 AM by Bunyan »

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 05:51:50 PM »
Norwich United are flying high at the moment - although we had an injury in a league game last night to our midfield maestro, the ironically named Matty Daniels, who will now miss the Stamford match. Still, Drury & co will have their work cut out Saturday week!