Author Topic: Prof Jonathan Van-Tam on his 50-year love affair with Boston United  (Read 2489 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Nice piece on Prof JVT on the BBC this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58420444

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Prof Jonathan Van-Tam on his 50-year love affair with Boston United
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:24:06 AM »
Never met him but he does come across as 'one of our own', a proper down to earth bloke. Love the fact he's as geeky as me with the Utd memorabilia though, I thought I was the only sad act to actually have stuff in the house......

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 10:05:16 AM »
JVT's father taught in the Maths department at Boston Grammar School that was headed for many years by my dad. My dad has always spoken of Paul Van-Tam with enormous respect and affection, and still does at 93!

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 12:16:19 PM »
Be nice if the club made him a honorary pilgrim or something.
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 02:13:28 PM »
Top interview from the BBC. Very rarely you hear that from me :D  Top man and very humble.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

gatley pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 10:03:15 PM »
Not particularly BUFC related. but I now follow them as much as possible, especially away as I live in Manchester. but to responed to Oakham Pilgrim in particular. I am most grateful to your father who I assume is Ken Whittle and also Paul Van Tam for their excellent teaching of Maths at A level. I can not say how much I appreciated their dedication and support they gave me at BGS which gave me such a great base in Maths for my futrure career. After graduating from York University I have had a very successful career as an actuary and now enjoying early retirement.

Oakham and JVT, assuming Ken is your father (Oakham), I gained a double A in maths and further maths and so my successful later life was based on such a great start that they gave me.

Regards

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 10:47:16 AM »
Yes, GP, KHEW is my father and will pass your kind message on. I followed the family trade (Music rather than Maths in my case) and am having to miss today's game as I'm playing the organ at a former pupil's wedding. Such are the dangers of the profession!

Martyn Bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 05:40:31 PM »
I also have great respect for your dad - one of the 2 or 3 teachers who I remember with fondness from BGS. He led me to teach numeracy much later on. He won't remember me as I was never a 'high flyer' in maths!