Author Topic: To Replay Or Not to Replay?  (Read 1668 times)

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
To Replay Or Not to Replay?
« on: September 08, 2021, 03:48:14 PM »
We all remember, of course, last season’s game at Darlington being abandoned after 87 mins or so with United just having gone 2-0 up, and Darlo about to go down to 10 men? The game was ordered to be replayed.

I’m not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but the FA Cup draw this week just reminded me that I was going to post about a FA Cup match played not too far away from me a couple of weeks ago in Mossley. It was abandoned after 89 minutes with Mossley having just gone 2-0 up.

The visiting supporters (of a team from the Liverpool area) had been goading the Mossley keeper throughout the match, and he obviously ‘lost it’ after their reaction to their team going 2-0 down. The Mossley keeper went into the crowd to confront the visiting supporters, followed by several of his teammates and a brawl apparently ensued. After some time, the referee abandoned the game.

So, what was the decision? A replay ordered?

No – the score at the time of the abandonment stood as the result!!

Yes, different competitions I know, but I just found it rather galling to see different decisions being made for abandonment of a match at virtually the same time, and the score exactly the same!!

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: To Replay Or Not to Replay?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 04:32:27 PM »
We all remember, of course, last season’s game at Darlington being abandoned after 87 mins or so with United just having gone 2-0 up, and Darlo about to go down to 10 men? The game was ordered to be replayed.

I’m not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but the FA Cup draw this week just reminded me that I was going to post about a FA Cup match played not too far away from me a couple of weeks ago in Mossley. It was abandoned after 89 minutes with Mossley having just gone 2-0 up.

The visiting supporters (of a team from the Liverpool area) had been goading the Mossley keeper throughout the match, and he obviously ‘lost it’ after their reaction to their team going 2-0 down. The Mossley keeper went into the crowd to confront the visiting supporters, followed by several of his teammates and a brawl apparently ensued. After some time, the referee abandoned the game.

So, what was the decision? A replay ordered?

No – the score at the time of the abandonment stood as the result!!

Yes, different competitions I know, but I just found it rather galling to see different decisions being made for abandonment of a match at virtually the same time, and the score exactly the same!!
No surprise there :(
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »
The simple reason being that the National League are an embarrassing rabble of incompetents incapable of making decisions in the wider interests of the clubs they purport to represent. Making us replay that game and travel such a long distance in the middle of a pandemic, with all the other pressures on teams around testing at the time, was a genuinely disgraceful decision that put both clubs at increased risk. I hope David Newton gave them both barrels.

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 12:47:56 PM »
You also forget that if it had been Boston Utd playing that game we would probably have been disqualified and the match awarded to the opposition.