« on: September 06, 2021, 01:17:43 PM »
Corby at home, I'll take that.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Corby
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 05:41:47 PM »
I saw Corby lose 0-1 at Stamford last Monday. They were workmanlike and restricted Stamford who have got off to a very good start this season. Indeed they came more and more into the game as it progressed (Stamford scored early on) and it wouldn't have been a travesty if they had equalised. Our pacy forwards ought to cause their centre backs some problems.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 08:41:42 AM »
There are those of us old enough to remember going to Corby in around 1979 and seeing a hell of a lot of trouble before, during and after the game. At that time Corby had a massive steelworks with a large Scottish workforce and I think they saw our visit as a chance to reignite some cross border tensions.

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 10:29:11 AM »
I remember it well...and that some of our fans visited Corby the day before the match and fly-posted some amber and black posters proclaiming "Watch out Corby United are coming".

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 01:46:37 PM »
I remember the day well. I remember getting off the bus and John Blackwell begging us to help him protect his bright yellow Boston United van. I remember the brutal fighting amongst themselves, Celtic V Rangers.  I also remember the majority of Boston fans hiding their scarfs. I remember some of Boston's" hards " trying to put on a Scottish accent, so they didn't get a thumping. I can't remember the score, but think we won. I think nobody cheered when we scored.  I remember a drunken Scot thumping the next man along side him in the toilets.  The drunk had dropped his bottle of whiskey whilst trying to pee, and blamed the poor guy next to him.  Our bus driver made us leave early, because he feared for his safety.

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 03:34:38 PM »
I remember the day well. I remember getting off the bus and John Blackwell begging us to help him protect his bright yellow Boston United van. I remember the brutal fighting amongst themselves, Celtic V Rangers.  I also remember the majority of Boston fans hiding their scarfs. I remember some of Boston's" hards " trying to put on a Scottish accent, so they didn't get a thumping. I can't remember the score, but think we won. I think nobody cheered when we scored.  I remember a drunken Scot thumping the next man along side him in the toilets.  The drunk had dropped his bottle of whiskey whilst trying to pee, and blamed the poor guy next to him.  Our bus driver made us leave early, because he feared for his safety.

I remember going to two earlier visits to Corby too - in 1967 which was my very first away game in the FA Cup, and then again as our first match in the 1973/74 FA Cup run which took us to those two unforgettable matches against Derby County.

I also remember driving to this particular game across from Manchester. I’m not sure just how far I was from the ground but, as I approached a roundabout, I saw a couple of car loads of BUFC fans parked in a lay-by. I stopped as I recognised some of them, and it had looked to me like one of the cars had broken down. But no, they told me they were trying to find somewhere to park well away from the ground as they’d been by the ground and told to go elsewhere to park. I ended up following them to a street where we found a few other United fans parked up – and we walked all together the 20 minutes or so to the ground. We did win, 1-0 and I recall all the folks in that group I walked with (including myself) left our scarves in the car boot.

Kirtonian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 04:08:51 PM »
Similar situation KP. I had my Grammar school scarf, which doubled up as a United one, firmly under my coat. Rams fans never change.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 06:19:29 PM »
One of Steve Evans first clubs after he stopped playing was at Corby. Not sure what he did there though. Seems he was Chairman for a short period in 1994. This article on him says "After eighteen months of relative mediocrity at Holbeach, and after a strange spell as chairman of Corby Town, Evans made the switch to fellow United Counties Premier League club Stamford where his career as a manager got under way in earnest."

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/who-are-the-league-two-managers-no-15-steve-evans/

Anyone know what happened there?

Mr Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 11:26:48 PM »
Does anyone know how the parking will work for cup games? Do I keep my season parking?

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 08:05:48 AM »
I believe the parking is for all matches

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 08:41:49 AM »
Re parking. I hope next season we can keep the space we have now. I have a cracking spot.

Mr Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 08:52:22 AM »
Re parking. I hope next season we can keep the space we have now. I have a cracking spot.

Ditto.

Just didn't know if we can use our space for cup games or if it's a free for all.

Worsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 09:06:15 AM »
Talking of parking, where is the best place to park for the Corby game ?
Should be arriving about 2.20ish. Thanks in advance.

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »
Me too. Would happily keep mine for life.