Author Topic: AFC Fylde (a)  (Read 3349 times)

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
AFC Fylde (a)
« on: August 21, 2021, 07:25:39 PM »
Today was my first game since Curzon Ashton (a) in March 2020 and how good to be back watching BUFC again!!

Whilst not really looking like winning the game too many times today, I don't think we would have lost either without the penalty award - so I drove the 35 miles home feeling disappointed not to come away with a point.

There were some changes to the starting line-up from last week, and some tinkering to be done after losing Tootle through injury late in the first half, but not having seen the Spennymoor game I can't compare the two performances. Looking at today, though, and the fact that we were away at the joint-favourites, I don't think any panic button should be pressed yet. Sure, Fylde had plenty of the ball and were pretty to watch at times, but there was no constant bombardment on our goal. They did seem to find space fairly easily out wide, but they weren't able to deliver any real pinpoint crosses.

Going forward we did have our moments without giving their keeper too much to do until he was called upon to make three very good second-half saves. Indeed, that very late on-the-ground save from Jordan Burrow's header was an excellent save. He did, though, have the fortune to see the ball then fall to a defender, whereas Peter Crook had no such luck after his excellent penalty save as the ball rebounded back to the Fylde penalty taker.

Not sure as to the size of gates they are expecting this season, but the announcer described today's attendance as a 'fantastic' 1,166. Didn't hear a separate figure for the BUFC following, but I suppose there were 80 - 85 behind the goal. Didn't see how many were in the designed block of the main stand for away fans, but there were a few of us sat in a block much closer to the halfway line (sat there to get a better view for our £18.00!!)

Now looking forward to coming to my first home game next Saturday since the 1-0 win v. AFC Telford in that last-ever Saturday home match at York Street with a crowd in attendance in February 2020.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: AFC Fylde (a)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 09:15:23 PM »
Well said KP a very good summary. I also thought we were well worth a point indeed we frustrated Fylde so well we could with a bit of luck nicked it, limited them to one chance all game that being the dubious penalty and the lads gave everything sticking to the game plan. Rest assured everyone any team going to Fylde with the idea of going gung ho on the attack will get hammered. Let's all get behind the club, the team and the managerial staff and get them rolling next weekend.  UTP

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 10:16:37 PM »
Difficult to name our MOM but I thought Elliott caused their defence a lot of problems resulting with a lot of shirt pulling from their players. Ferguson also played a very good game at times. Well done lads, you made me feel proud today especially when I heard one of the home supporters say a draw would have been a fairer result and they were lucky to get a penalty decider.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 12:13:01 PM »
Usual suspects calling for the manager's head. Two dubious penalties and an offside goal. I must say we deserved nothing from the Spennymoor game.  We are only two games in and we have played two of the league's strongest teams. It is stupid calling for CE to be sacked.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

brummie exile 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 11:51:44 AM »
There is a 3 minute clip on the Fylde web-site, the last minute shows the penalty incident. Crook was VERY unlucky. I thought the decision was debatable, but the ref was up with play and with a clean view. Obviously a vast improvement on the opening day.

UTP

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 04:32:44 PM »
Didn't hear a separate figure for the BUFC following, but I suppose there were 80 - 85 behind the goal

107 Pilgrims
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 10:55:43 PM »
Piss poor turnout in truth
I hoped we'd at least take 200-250 there
Seems like the novelty of football being back wore off even before it began!
Let's see how many bother going to Bradford....

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 10:32:14 AM »
Can't blame people not going, they are sick of being in the same league playing the same teams at the same grounds knowing at best we'll make the play offs.

Despite all the new ground fanfare things are very stale playing wise.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 10:53:03 AM »
It's a crap away day. How many do we normally take there?

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 11:57:11 AM »
Had 85 for the 9-2 in mid November when it snowed
At the old ground I think we had about 30 in midweek and around 100 or so forth 5-2

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 12:08:30 PM »

107 Pilgrims

You can add a few more with, as I mentioned, my mate and I being sat in one of 'home' blocks near the halfway line and I spotted a few more familiar faces in the same area.

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 12:22:26 PM »
Piss poor turnout in truth
I hoped we'd at least take 200-250 there
Seems like the novelty of football being back wore off even before it began!
Let's see how many bother going to Bradford....

This is another ground just 30 odd miles away from me, and I've not missed a BUFC visit there (when crowds allowed). Sadly, with other things planned for the Bank Holiday, I'll not be able to get to the game and my 'ever-present' record will be broken.

Hopefully, Monday is a decent day weatherwise and, as well as all the regular away supporters, other supporters who have no specific Bank Holiday plans might make a last-minute decision to go. I suppose the performance / result tomorrow will be a factor too on how many decide to go.