Author Topic: National League Relegation  (Read 1905 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
National League Relegation
« on: April 21, 2021, 02:15:40 PM »
I've been keeping an eye on King's Lynn's results and the BBC website keeps saying things like "King's Lynn improved their National League survival chances with a 1-1 draw at Aldershot." I thought there was to be no relegation this season, so are the BBC as up-to-date and well informed as they usually are? (i.e. they haven't got a clue)

If there was relegation then there would presumably be a case for some teams to get promoted to fill the gaps - already short after Macclesfield folded and a good argument for kicking out Dover as well. If there were some promotion slots, as one of the best performing teams in the National League North Boston United would have a good case to take one. However, I bet the league would find some excuse to not promote Boston United.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: National League Relegation
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 08:06:19 PM »
The powers that be would no doubt cover the 'gaps'  with a further restructure of the pyramid or find something really tenuous in the small print to prohibit our progress!
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: National League Relegation
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 04:13:31 PM »
I never expected that the proposed mini-league would go ahead but seeing as the National League is a team short I was hoping that common sense would prevail and allow the top 8 of each league to participate in a competition if they wanted to.

Could have been like the previous Euro format, 4 groups of 4 (regionalised to avoid travel) and the QF’s onwards with the winner taking the vacant NL spot. Would have generated a bit of interest and some steaming income for the clubs.

Instead the NL will run a team short which will cost the teams money as it’s one less game and hate receipts.