Author Topic: Season cancelled?  (Read 14928 times)

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Season cancelled?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 10:08:10 AM »
Like I have said before the Leagues are administered by a bunch of unprofessional morons. How can the higher eschelons of the game be allowed to ignore the plight of non league clubs. No genuine football supporter should be showing the slightest support for Premier League clubs and shoving money their way by subscibing to TV to watch them. The obscene amount of money in the game at the highest level will always be there and we at our level will just have to accept that those who administer our leagues are in tow or are scared to criticise them. Just feel for David and Neil beeing professionals having to deal with a bunch of cretins.

gatley pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 10:10:45 AM »
In respect of the voting system the BPA website is a bit clearer but still does not make it absolutely clear. In any case it seems very complicated about the possible outcome.

As i see it.

Resolution 1 is voted on by all 23 NL sides and NLN and NLS get 8 votes in total regarding whether to go for Res 2&3 or Res 4. It is not clear how the 8 votes are cast (Proportional representation maybe). Teams near bottom of NL may think the best option is to get a null and void season and the best way to get that is to vote against Res 1 as a 75% majority is required to pass it. If it does get passed then only 50% of NL teams to pass Res 2 for season to continue and I imagine the top 12 would do that. So if bottom 6 of NL vote against Res 1 then only 2 of the 8 NLN / NLS votes need to go against Res 1 and the decision is then on Res 4.

So if it goes to Res 4 then either all 3 leagues continue or all 3 end. So if only bottom 7 of NL vote for, then season will continue as need 50% majority overall to pass (and season to end). I think it will need the bottom 10 of NL to vote for and 6+ of NLN / NLS to vote for, for season to end.

My prediction is therefore for Res 1 to fail and go to Res 4 and that will marginally fail and so season continues. However, given that clubs have 28 days to vote, then it depends on what happens regarding loans vs grants in the meantime. If clubs in NLN and NLS get grants approved then more likely for season to continue.

I did see 1 reference to say that NLN and NLS would each have separate votes and therefore separate possible outcomes but that is not mentioned elsewhere.

Hopefully this makes some sense!!!!

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 04:57:07 PM »
I assume that if the leagues are null and voided then so will the FA Trophy?

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2021, 08:56:16 AM »
Can someone please explain to me simply WTF is happening and are we playing Saturday?

I don't think anybody is sure either way at the moment. Bit of a shambles really. Fixtures are arranged for Saturday but many clubs in National League North and South saying they won't play until outcome of vote is known. National League really need to come out today with a statement on Saturday's fixtures. Further suspension feels most likely but could be the case that some clubs play Saturday and others choose not to.

Curzon who we are scheduled to play Saturday were one of the clubs in the joint statement of 17 clubs saying they don't want to restart playing until they get covid testing funding. So we could be without a match if Curzon don't want to play without funding for testing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 10:08:02 AM by Lee Newell »

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2021, 10:36:37 AM »
I assume that if the leagues are null and voided then so will the FA Trophy?

No, I think that would carry on! Bizarrely.

gatley pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2021, 11:21:17 AM »
According to the AFC Fylde website statement funding for Covid tests has been agreed and so hopefully will be inplace for Curzon before Saturday.

'Last week we circulated information to fellow National League North members regarding the availability of lateral flow testing and how it has now become very affordable. Rapid testing programmes are not perfect but provide a very useful tool in detecting infection in asymptomatic individuals. The costs are now down to £5.25 per test, and because of that we are testing twice a week, so for 30 players and staff it’s £315. Clubs do not need to test twice a week – that decision lies entirely with the football club – but once a week will cost £157.50. We also suggested that it would not be unreasonable to ask the players to pay/donate themselves if clubs are really struggling. Since that time, in fact early this morning, Sport England have now verbally given assurances that they will be paying for these tests in the future.'

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2021, 03:13:29 PM »
AFC Fylde are full-time aren't they? It makes more sense for them to do it twice weekly due to how often their players will be with each other.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2021, 08:29:09 AM »
Dover Chairman, Jim Parmenter has today resigned as a Director of the National League.

In a letter sent to National League Chairman, Brian Barwick and members of the board, Mr Parmenter said “I can no longer support the direction of travel that the board is taking and I’m afraid I can no longer be seen to be party to actions which I absolutely disagree with.

I accept that the board is a collective and whilst as a member it is a prerequisite that, in public, the board and it’s Chairman are supported. I have therefore chosen to resign, in order to say what I really believe publicly.

The lack of grant funding should have been properly addressed in late December or at least very early January. As it stands it is likely to be two months with no funds for clubs before any sort of resolution is forthcoming.

I am in particular disagreement that the executive appear to be encouraging clubs to take large loans to complete the season, as I have said twice at board meetings I believe that the competition rules are being broken by allowing the proposed loans, let alone encouraging them. (Page 155 Appendices 08 of the rule book).

The league has for ten years insisted that clubs manage their financial affairs prudently and has had great success and received much praise for the results, now that is all to be thrown to the dogs and for what?

I understand why the bigger, richer clubs with chances of promotion are pushing hard to continue, but in a sense they are asking smaller clubs with no crowds or income who are playing for no reason to take large loans and probably over stretch themselves with dire consequences, to subsidise the larger clubs ambitions. I do not agree with that position.

The board has very little credibility as an organisation within our clubs and I believe the decision to send letters to clubs who find it difficult to play, threatening sanctions was ill conceived and will do nothing to unite the competition in what continues to be a very divisive time. Even if the vote is to continue I do not believe that the league will be able to continue in any credible form or with integrity for another five months.

There are some very good people on the board and I do not seek to criticise individuals, but as a body I do not believe we have shown strong, relevant leadership. Our governance has descended into chaos and some decisions made by the board seem to change when interpreted by the executive.”

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2021, 01:27:58 PM »
All that from a man who has overseen his club go to the brink over the past few years and stated they would go have to go out of business way before this pandemic. All sounds very heartfelt but there is a lot more to this man than appears just ask Dover supporters if you can find any. All good points he makes and if it had come from anyone else it would have had more credit.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2021, 01:32:16 PM »
All that from a man who has overseen his club go to the brink over the past few years and stated they would go have to go out of business way before this pandemic. All sounds very heartfelt but there is a lot more to this man than appears just ask Dover supporters if you can find any. All good points he makes and if it had come from anyone else it would have had more credit.
By the way where are Dover in the League?

gatley pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2021, 06:25:44 PM »
'Hamlet have tweeted confirmation the club has been charged with failing to fulfill the Braintree and St Albans fixtures.'

Presumably this will also apply to Curzon etc. Interesting to see if clubs still refuse to play this Saturday, although expect a lot of frozen pitches.

Curzon now stated they have been charged for failing to fulfill fixtures. They are also claiming that teams who earlier in the season failed to fulfil fixtures should be similarly charged, which of course includes BUFC (but I thought National league agreed to such postponements).

What a mees the National League has got itself in, bet the Legal Profession will be rubbing their hands!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:04:54 PM by gatley pilgrim »

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2021, 09:02:54 PM »
Elite Football? Clubs refusing to play? Bizarre and/or inept action by the League Committee? The National League need to realise how silly, annoying and ungrateful they look to the overwhelming of "non-elite" non-league football leagues who display better unity but are unable to play or even train due to the current Covid19 restrictions. Better togetherness is currently being displayed by Handforth Parish Council than National League clubs!  :police:
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2021, 11:34:05 PM »
There been enough ‘public’ votes at NLN and NLS clubs for a majority of null and void, so if the resolution to allow clubs to vote on their own steps passes (which looks likely), then that’s it for this season at our level.

That then leaves the possibility of the National League (step 1) voting to carry on but several clubs have already announced they’re furloughing players and if forced to continue will use local players. Could end up as a complete farce (if not already) with clubs losing 25-0 to teams like Notts County every week.

Unfortunately this season was doomed the moment they decided to start without any sort of plan on what would happen when the grant money ran out in January.

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2021, 11:16:51 AM »
Quite frankly, and with much sadness in my voice, I  have to say that {IMO, but Im only saying what a lot of other fans believe and are saying } I just cannot  see the point in playing the next match {Darlington away, as I write this, and I bet that doesnt go ahead...} or carrying the season on.

Not many clubs seem to have the appetite, or money, to carry on. Clubs seem to be able to postphone matches quite easily and there doesnt seem to be any firm directive from the NL themselves. And from a fans point of view, its getting hard to relate to matters on the field, not having ever seen the players play in person.
It must also be so difficult for the players themselves , everything seems "on hold and uncertain".

I obviously dont know all the true facts about everything ,but surely it was foolhardy to actually start the NL season in the first place knowing that there would be loans only, and not Grants, available in 2021.

Its a mess, and the NL really need to get a grip on the situation and make some definite decisions or there may well be no more NL anymore, and clubs like our beloved BUFC will have a shiny new stadium, quite a few players on contract and outgoings to meet, but with nobody to play...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:44:09 AM by Johnny Pilgrim »

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2021, 01:30:18 PM »
Resolution voting is taking too long,  the national league board have zero credibility left, time to resign en masse  :police: