Author Topic: Tommo handbagged by BBC  (Read 5666 times)

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
Tommo handbagged by BBC
« on: November 29, 2020, 05:15:46 PM »
Steve 'Tommo' Thompson has been suspended by the BBC until the new year after some listeners complained about sexist remarks.
He described an altercation between players as 'handbags', nothing wrong with that, its common parlance in football punditry.
He went on to say 'the ref's wife is in',  nothing to see there, and followed it up with 'they're a couple of drama queen's... should be wearing dresses',  all within the first 20 minutes!

Sounds like he was having a great game, but he fell foul of the overly-woke BBC hierarchy and was red-carded off the airwaves  :police:
Hope and Glory won't be the same without his insightful and amusing contributions. He's a freelancer apparently, so could link up with Endeavour, or maybe do some work with the streaming from the new ground  B)

Its a sorry state of affairs when we have to pay a license fee and then be force-fed this woke, intersectionality, claptrap  :police:
Time to get rid of the licence fee and de-fund the BBC;  its an outdated business model, and it's token attempts at fairness and impartiality long since disappeared.  It would soon change if it had to fund itself like the other mainstream media do. :police:  ;)
Good luck Tommo, don't let the bastards grind you down!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 05:17:26 PM by Ed Kandii »

steve m

• View Profile
Re: Tommo handbagged by BBC
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 05:47:04 PM »
Typical BBC.....political correctness gone mad...he should be reinstated....

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 10:37:40 AM »
Steve 'Tommo' Thompson has been suspended by the BBC until the new year after some listeners complained about sexist remarks.
He described an altercation between players as 'handbags', nothing wrong with that, its common parlance in football punditry.
He went on to say 'the ref's wife is in',  nothing to see there, and followed it up with 'they're a couple of drama queen's... should be wearing dresses',  all within the first 20 minutes!

Sounds like he was having a great game, but he fell foul of the overly-woke BBC hierarchy and was red-carded off the airwaves  :police:
Hope and Glory won't be the same without his insightful and amusing contributions. He's a freelancer apparently, so could link up with Endeavour, or maybe do some work with the streaming from the new ground  B)

Its a sorry state of affairs when we have to pay a license fee and then be force-fed this woke, intersectionality, claptrap  :police:
Time to get rid of the licence fee and de-fund the BBC;  its an outdated business model, and it's token attempts at fairness and impartiality long since disappeared.  It would soon change if it had to fund itself like the other mainstream media do. :police:  ;)

Defund the BBC!

Can I ask you who you think will provide commentary of Boston games if BBC Lincs is defunded?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 10:41:38 AM »
I see Piers Mogan has took up the fight to get him reinstated.  Well that's poor Thommo finished then ;D ;D
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 02:45:57 PM »
makes you wonder what we will be too scared to say next week.
The "issue" with complaints is if 10000 people are listening and 10 make a complaint chances are the complaint may be upheld.. not the fact 9990 weren't bothered/offended/upset in any way.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 04:33:07 PM »
Personally I think he's a bit 'old hat' now and the show could do with a younger, more relevant voice next to Hortin.

How long has he been out of football on a day to day basis managing or coaching? Seems a long time since he managed Notts County, 10-12 years maybe. Fashions change and people get left behind. Not that he's irrelevant, just a bit dated now. A case in point being Soccer Saturday not renewing contracts this summer, yes they were a good team but good teams grow old and new blood is needed.

I know I listened to a few commentaries from them last season and they were bad, especially Thompson who showed little or no awareness of The Imps opposition. For a freelancer I thought it was pretty poor form when he's paid to have a view on both sides.

But I do agree with the general consensus on here that we live in a woke society of easily offended and even worse, offended on the behalf of others, snowflake types who suck the joy and fun out of everything in their right on pursuit of what they consider fair and just. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 04:45:12 PM by noughtyforties »

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 04:37:41 PM »

Defund the BBC!

Can I ask you who you think will provide commentary of Boston games if BBC Lincs is defunded?

Endeavour do a sterling job Pete, perhaps a way could be found to get them to commentate on away games too.

I'm not a subscriber to defunding the Beeb but they need to be more accountable and more reflective of their audience instead of pandering to woke inclusivity and diversity mob that seem to be running amock there at present. 

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 04:54:02 PM »
The 'handbags' one is unlikely to get you in trouble really, that was actually a fairly common saying when players had a 'disagreement' on the field. However the other two just show what a dinosaur he is.

This is clearly not as bad as the Andy Gray/Richard Keys incident(s) and I don't think he needs to be publicly hung drawn and quartered as he's clearly not a bad bloke, but I can't see how he can have any complaints about getting hooked to be honest.

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 09:13:35 PM »
In September the BBC told commentators not to use language linked to slavery or racial stereotypes, such as 'nitty gritty', 'cakewalk', and 'whiter than white',  ;D you really couldn't make this stuff up!!
Its as if the corporation is now being run by a bunch of not very bright adolescents, devoid of any traces of wit, intelligence or subtlety, trying to change how we talk and think,  and all with a BBC air of utter self-righteousness.
Surely nobody should be forced to pay for such a service?
 :police: :o

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 10:15:00 PM »
Could someone please explain this word "woke". I get what it means (I think) but why "woke" exactly?

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 08:00:32 AM »
Could someone please explain this word "woke". I get what it means (I think) but why "woke" exactly?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/woke

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 12:10:50 PM »
I see. Thanks. Not an adjective in my seemingly limited vocabulary!

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 06:23:02 AM »
It really amazes me that 65000 people signed a petition to get Chris Packham removed from BBC because of his clear breach of impartiality, and his constant unfounded and unproven persecution of Field Sports and Gamekeepers.
Spreading lies and miss information to further his own causes through his television status.
Nothing has been done by the BBC to control and discipline him.
Poor old Tomo gets the full force of it because some gender equality activists complain about some humorous comments, that should just get on with it like the majority of us do.
I am afraid this what happens when the Labour party is full of people that quite frankly are tree hugging kill joys.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 06:40:02 AM »
Tommo's getting a lot of local support :

Leader of ELDC, Craig Leyland said 'Common useage... a complete overreaction to suspend him'.

Lincs CC leader Martin Hill called the suspension ridiculous.

Local councillor Roger Patterson said 'the BBC are happy to pkay offensive songs on radio one, but censor things that are not offensive. The biggest threat to the BBC is the BBC'.

MP for Lincoln, Karl McCartney said that the public were losing patience with the BBC's 'out of touch-ness'.

Anyone heard what Matt Warman thinks of it?  :police:

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
Tommo's getting a lot of local support :

Leader of ELDC, Craig Leyland said 'Common useage... a complete overreaction to suspend him'.

Lincs CC leader Martin Hill called the suspension ridiculous.

Local councillor Roger Patterson said 'the BBC are happy to pkay offensive songs on radio one, but censor things that are not offensive. The biggest threat to the BBC is the BBC'.

MP for Lincoln, Karl McCartney said that the public were losing patience with the BBC's 'out of touch-ness'.

Anyone heard what Matt Warman thinks of it?  :police:

Matt Warman THINK ??? ???
The older I get, the earlier it gets late