Author Topic: Gloucester City  (Read 6133 times)

wismo

• View Profile
Gloucester City
« on: November 21, 2020, 05:33:01 PM »
Gloucester City march on. Are they under new management?

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucester City
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 07:08:53 PM »
Gloucester City march on. Are they under new management?

Don't think they will march very far playing like they did today, We really have nothing to fear from them.  UTP

brummie exile 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 10:28:27 PM »
Very interesting 2 games coming up. AFC Fy£de away first. I was at the 9-2 defeat when DG was the boss. He wanted out. Take it from me there were some smug b£s*a%ds from Lancashire that day. Do a Leeds UTD job on them[circa 1972].
 Well OXO, I hope Gloucester away is the oppisite to last season when we lost 3-0 at Evesham. I remember you and I were less than happy with the team's effort that day. Regardless of that I look forward to having a pint with you in the not too distant future.

UTP

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 09:37:44 PM »
Can anyone explain to me how Gloucester ended up in National League NORTH when they are geographically situated in the SOUTH?

baldfinn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 10:46:05 PM »
Are they full time?

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 04:59:35 PM »
New stadium this year, heard they had ambitions of going full time but unsure if they actually are at this stage.

Must be some money floating around there though to suddenly be attracting Chester's best player from last season.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 11:12:26 PM »
New ground of the Docks
And a Bank roll.

TBH Im normally against Bank Roll jobs but they have had some crap luck over the past few years so they are due a bit

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 10:45:31 AM »
Their manager (James Rowe) off to Chesterfield.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 12:12:35 PM »
Oh dear, apparently he is Garden leave now.
I wonder how many of his squad he will take with him and coaching staff.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 01:43:51 PM »
Oh dear, apparently he is Garden leave now.
I wonder how many of his squad he will take with him and coaching staff.

Good news for us I think.  I was worried they had their eyes on CE.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 10:46:14 AM »
March halted at Gateshead, Fylde draw. Can we make up the points? Will know better after Tuesday night......if they go ahead

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 03:08:35 PM »
Can anyone explain to me how Gloucester ended up in National League NORTH when they are geographically situated in the SOUTH?

Because the FA split a geographically-southern-based country into 2 at this level, and the teams are split into the the 22 most northerly clubs and the 22 (this season 21 due to Bury/Macclesfield's demises, and knock on effects) most southerly. Some clubs have switched between north and south, such as Gloucester themselves, Oxford City and Bishops Stortford.

Oxford City are this year's most northerly National League South club, and Gloucester is (slightly) further north.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 03:49:29 PM »
As someone stated above, find it hard to begrudge Gloucester a bit of success and a few bob given what they've had to endure since their ground got wrecked. But if they could now turn crap, that'd be great!

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 08:53:09 PM »
Oxford City are this year's most northerly National League South club, and Gloucester is (slightly) further north.
Braintree's slightly further north than both Gloucester and Oxford.

Timshorts

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 09:17:31 PM »

It's historically down to the isthmian league having one of the three promoted sides getting promoted for years yet not being as strong as the southern league or Northern Premier.
If you are old enough to remember, sides used to volunteer to get relegated to the isthmian as it was easiest to win - Yeovil being the obvious example.
Then they had two thirds of the clubs going into conference south when it was invented despite the same relative weakness. It will take years to work that out of the system - just as it will take years and has taken years to get the Northern league (which was step 4standard when it joined the pyramid at step 5) to level off. Look how often there has been a northern league team in the vase final. There ought to be an average of one every 6 or 7 years but in reality it seems two every three years.