Author Topic: Prediction League - 2020/21  (Read 1978 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Prediction League - 2020/21
« on: September 28, 2020, 10:38:28 PM »
It's almost time for the first "competitive" match in the season - the FA Cup match against AFC Mansfield, so it definitely must be time to start up the Pilgrims' Patter Prediction League for 2020/21.

It looks like fans won't probably be allowed in for a few more weeks so some changes will be needed to replace the attendance predictions for a while. It would be quite a lot of hassle rewriting my spreadsheet that does the sums if it's too complcated. So how about something simple like predicting the time of the first goal like Sky Super 6 have for their tie breaks. Perhaps 10 points for spot on, 3 points within 2 mins and 1 point within 5 mins.

For those who haven't played before, it has been all about predicting the results AND attendances of Boston United's competitive first team games throughout the season. As the season goes on you accumulate points and the winner is the person with the most points at the end of the season. There's no entry fee and no prizes apart from the honour of being the winner. It's just a bit of fun!

All predictions must be made before kick off - although I'm open to bribes of a pint of Batemans XXXB or Dark Lord to accept predictions that are a few minutes late.  8)

You get 3 points for the correct score or 1 point for the correct result.

You have been getting 10 points if you get the attendance spot on or 3 points if within 5% or 1 point if within 10%, so that needs replacing with something else.

Soon after each game I usually manage to process the scores and update the points table and post it on Patter.

You can edit your prediction right up until kickoff time.

In Cup games with extra time or penalties it's the score at the end of normal time that counts.

If a game is postponed or abandoned then all predictions for that match are null and void.

So if I finalise what is replacing the attendance prediction by Wednesday night you will be able to start making predictions for the FA Cup game from Thursday. So let me know your thoughts and suggestions asap.

stevie

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Prediction League - 2020/21
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »
I am happy with your goal time suggestion 👏👏

SMELLS LIKE VICTORY

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 05:57:12 PM »

I quite like the goal time idea; but what happens with a 0 - 0?
No points awarded?

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 10:14:23 PM »

I quite like the goal time idea; but what happens with a 0 - 0?
No points awarded?

How about it being a possible prediction, so can be either the minute the first goal is scored or say no goals scored. I've checked my database and out of the 4330 competitive first team fixtures played 231 ended in 0-0 draws, so that's about 5% or two to three games per season. So how about getting 8 points for a correct 0-0. So if you predicted 0-0 for every game you'd get about 24 points - pretty much the same as you'd get if you predicted every game as a Boston win.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 10:33:39 PM »
We are going to be playing so go ahead with what you think is best and I will pledge a mystery prize for the winner.  UTP