Author Topic: Did we over-perform this season?  (Read 2642 times)

porl99

• View Profile
Did we over-perform this season?
« on: August 03, 2020, 01:55:44 PM »
Still really disappointed about Saturday, but I don't think you can fault the players or management, everyone has given their absolute best throughout the season.  I really liked the quote before the game saying it's all about having the best team, and not the best individuals, as for me, relatively speaking this was not as good a Boston side as has previously featured in the play-offs.  That's not to say I don't think they did well, but were they really that good as individuals, or has the quality of the division deteriorated?  Did they actually over-perform this year getting to the play-offs in the first place?

Here are the four teams that have reached the play-off finals over the last ten years.   Although not an exact science as we didn't always play 4-4-2,  I've put in bold the player who I rated the best for that position. Only Thanoj and Wright get in my 'best XI' (and I'm not sure about Wright), and it also made me think about what a fantastic team we had in both 2015 and 2016.

10/1114/1515/1619/20
GKBastockStrykekSpiessCrook
LBJelleymanSteerMcEvoyWhittle
CBMurphyPiergianniPiergianniShiels
CBPearsonGarnerBrownGarner
RBCanovilleMillsMillsChalloner
LMYatesWalkerRollinsPlatt
CMChurchMarrsGarnerAbbott
CMSleathDixonRobertsThanoj
RMSempleFelixHilliardRollins
STWeir-DaleyNewshamSouthwellThewlis
STDudfieldJonesFelixWright
Sub1DavidsonNewshamBurgessNicholson
Sub2StonesHallJohnsonWarren
Sub3BoyesMcGheeJonesKnowles
Sub4ClarkeRobertsMarrsAinge
Sub5CullingworthVinceLavelle-MooreMulhern
Sub6Willis

I'm really not trying to be negative toward this year's players as clearly, as a team, they have performed very well, but do you agree with my choices?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 12:52:47 PM by porl99 »

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Did we over-perform this season?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 03:25:25 PM »
14/15 was the "golden generation" of United sides over the last few seasons. 50/50 between Steer and Whittle, and I'd go Rollins ahead of Yates, and Newsham over Wright.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 04:46:08 PM »
14/15 was the "golden generation" of United sides over the last few seasons. 50/50 between Steer and Whittle, and I'd go Rollins ahead of Yates, and Newsham over Wright.

100% agree with that. Every generation has players they will tell their children about, in my case it was always Jimmy Raynor. I feel sure our Grandchildren will become bored with tales of Churchy and Pidge

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 08:32:51 PM »
I reckon CE would win the league with the 14/15 side...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 04:23:49 PM »

Same here

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 04:24:42 PM »
I reckon Scott and Hurst win the league with this team though