Author Topic: Wigan  (Read 2617 times)

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Wigan
« on: July 01, 2020, 01:48:21 PM »
Announced on the News, Wigan have entered administration!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wigan
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 01:52:56 PM »
12 point deduction, to be taken at from this year's total if they don't finish bottom 3 (it would put them in the bottom 3 now), or from next season if they finish in the bottom 3.

They're in good form, so they might be OK to stay up even with the deduction. Interesting to see if it affects them on the pitch.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 02:29:22 PM »
Tip of iceberg this, expect to see at least 15 league clubs to follow suit, in fact there could be that many clubs going under we could end up being promoted in to League 2. Any justice and we would replace Wigan who beat us to the football league all those years ago. 

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 04:59:29 PM »
Tip of iceberg this, expect to see at least 15 league clubs to follow suit, in fact there could be that many clubs going under we could end up being promoted in to League 2. Any justice and we would replace Wigan who beat us to the football league all those years ago.

Rather than Wigan Athletic directly themselves, it was the stupid ground grading rules that allowed Wigan to go up into the Football League instead of us.

If memory serves me correctly (which it might not exactly) Wigan finished 2nd in the NPL that season, 6 points behind champions BUFC- and remember it was only 2 points for a win back then, so really an even more emphatic winning margin than 6 points would be today.

We did the double over them in the league, and also won both legs of the NPL KO Cup Semi-Final against them.

But York Street (pre-Boston Utd Lottery redevelopments) wasn't deemed suitable for the Football League, whereas Wigan's Springfield Park was. Just how it was is still a huge mystery to me -  even the 'old' York Street was a much better ground than Springfield Park, where at both ends behind the goals you still stood on grass banks!!

Years later the DW Stadium was built for both Wigan Athletic and Wigan Rugby League Club to share. Both Springfield Park and Central Park (the now called Warriors' then home ground) were demolished. Where Springfield Park stood is now houses, and Tesco occupies the site that was Central Park.

I found myself working in Wigan just a few years after that 'injustice', and ironically I am normally a frequent visitor to the DW Stadium where I have a Season Ticket for Wigan Warriors. And, my seat is in ....... The Boston Stand!!

Sadly, not named after their 'lucky' promotion to the Football League at our expense, but after a player regarded as their best ever, Billy Boston.

Whilst the ends of the DW Stadium are just named the North Stand and South Stand, the East Stand was named by Wigan Warriors (The Boston Stand) and the West Stand named by Wigan Athletic (The Springfield Stand, after their former home).

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 05:05:41 PM »

Rather than Wigan Athletic directly themselves, it was the stupid ground grading rules that allowed Wigan to go up into the Football League instead of us.

If memory serves me correctly (which it might not exactly) Wigan finished 2nd in the NPL that season, 6 points behind champions BUFC- and remember it was only 2 points for a win back then, so really an even more emphatic winning margin than 6 points would be today.

We did the double over them in the league, and also won both legs of the NPL KO Cup Semi-Final against them.

But York Street (pre-Boston Utd Lottery redevelopments) wasn't deemed suitable for the Football League, whereas Wigan's Springfield Park was. Just how it was is still a huge mystery to me -  even the 'old' York Street was a much better ground than Springfield Park, where at both ends behind the goals you still stood on grass banks!!

Years later the DW Stadium was built for both Wigan Athletic and Wigan Rugby League Club to share. Both Springfield Park and Central Park (the now called Warriors' then home ground) were demolished. Where Springfield Park stood is now houses, and Tesco occupies the site that was Central Park.

I found myself working in Wigan just a few years after that 'injustice', and ironically I am normally a frequent visitor to the DW Stadium where I have a Season Ticket for Wigan Warriors. And, my seat is in ....... The Boston Stand!!

Sadly, not named after their 'lucky' promotion to the Football League at our expense, but after a player regarded as their best ever, Billy Boston.

Whilst the ends of the DW Stadium are just named the North Stand and South Stand, the East Stand was named by Wigan Warriors (The Boston Stand) and the West Stand named by Wigan Athletic (The Springfield Stand, after their former home).

Just to clarify - and perhaps obvious from the last sentence - Billy Boston is regarded as the best ever player for the Rugby League team.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 05:56:01 PM »
I remember watching him on grandstand most Saturdays. Eddie Waring commentating.  The league was a closed shop in those days. That was just one of several injustices aimed at United. Wimbledon being another.  We convincingly won the champions of champions playoff to be put forward for the league.  If I remember correct,  we did not get a single vote.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late