Author Topic: Player Statistics  (Read 2505 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Player Statistics
« on: August 23, 2020, 11:54:54 PM »
My computer has been working hard all weekend. It's been doing lots of adding up. It's been reading in all the team sheets from my website and calculating appearances and goals scored by competition for every season the club has played. I've got most of the team sheets, only missing a few in the mid 60s / early 70s so it's fairly comprehensive. It's done the sums and the first thing it's done is dump the totals to a sortable table. So there's now a table with sortable columns for the 1472 players who have turned out for Boston United since 1933. The columns are:

Forename
Surname
LgeApp - Appearances in league games
LgeSub - On as a sub in league games
LgeGls - Goals scored in league games
FACApp
FACSub - As above but FA Cup games
FACGls
FATApp
FATSub - As above but FA Trophy games
FATGls
LgCApp
LgCSub - As above but league cup games
LgCGls
OthApp
OthSub - As above but other games, e.g Lincs Senior Cup, Mather Cup, Challenge shield, Champons of Champions etc
OthGls
TotApp
TotSub - As above but grand totals
TotGls

The initial order is total appearances, but if you click on any of the column headers the table gets sorted smallest to largest for that column, then if you click on it again it is sorted largest to smallest. So it's easy to find out who has made the most appearances in the FA Cup, scored the most league goals in, come on as a sub most etc.

It's a bit crude at the moment. I'll try to tidy it up, sort out errors, add links in and any other stuff I can think of, but if you fancy a play you can find it here:

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/PlayerStatistics2.html

John C

• View Profile
Re: Player Statistics
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 04:46:05 PM »
I haven't time to study it now, but I can see myself spending a lot of time on this database... Thanks Ken!

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 07:05:01 PM »
Just had a quick look, my you have been busy!  It makes very interesting reading revives memories of games years ago.   Are you going to "pin" this one?

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 11:08:11 PM »
A little tidy up this evening. Added a Years column and instantly spotted a few players who probably weren't the same one, e.g. a Smith who played in 1934 probably isn't the same one who played in 1990. Also moved the totals columns to be the first ones after the names. Next I'll do a season by season breakdown to be added to the Rollcall.  Hopefully will help in producing a totally consistent and integrated web site before the start of the new season.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 07:11:12 AM »
Potentially one other case of players of the same name getting amalgamated together... we've had three Paul Wilson's in the relatively recent past (a striker from Frickley, a left back from Aylesbury (I think) and then a central midfielder on loan from Barnet, but I can only see two listed in the dataset. I suspect the left back and midfielder have got bracketed together as they were only a season or so apart.

Check the Richard Dawson entries as well, I think there were two different players there with the same name as well.

Other than that, this looks really good and far better than anything available for most clubs at our level.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 09:46:07 PM »
Thanks for that. I'd forgotten about the two Paul Wilsons in consecutive seasons. I'll separate them out in the next version. I got the two Jamie Clarkes! I'll check out the Richard Dawsons as well.

Potentially one other case of players of the same name getting amalgamated together... we've had three Paul Wilson's in the relatively recent past (a striker from Frickley, a left back from Aylesbury (I think) and then a central midfielder on loan from Barnet, but I can only see two listed in the dataset. I suspect the left back and midfielder have got bracketed together as they were only a season or so apart.

Check the Richard Dawson entries as well, I think there were two different players there with the same name as well.

Other than that, this looks really good and far better than anything available for most clubs at our level.