Author Topic: Player of the Season  (Read 2658 times)

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Player of the Season
« on: May 04, 2020, 06:25:30 PM »
Player of the (curtailed) season voting is open until 5pm tomorrow (Tuesday). If you haven't done so already, you can send in your choice to vote@bufc.co.uk.

https://www.bostonunited.co.uk/news/annual-united-polls-now-open-2532170.html?utm_source=weeklyroundup&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=football

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
Re: Player of the Season
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 02:42:13 PM »
Congratulations to Luke Shiels on being voted the Supporters' Player-Of-The-Season. Well deserved. Although as usual, I missed a few homes, in all the games I've seen he has been excellent all season. Certainly, his absence was very noticeable in those seemingly panic-stricken last few minutes defending the 2-1 lead at Bradford Park Avenue.

I'd also like to congratulate someone who didn't make the Supporters' top three - but who got my own vote - Tom Platt. Interesting to note that the BUFC players themselves were in agreement with me. Tom too has been excellent. Just my opinion, but perhaps his role in the team is a little less 'appreciated' - particularly in home games - to attract enough fans' votes to claim the Supporters' award?

In a lot of matches, Tom's performances in midfield have perhaps been less spectacular than the exploits of Abbott and Thanoj - tied for second place and both rejuvenated this season - and his reliability, ability to cover every blade of grass and break down the opposition's attacks may well have been a catalyst to these two returning to their 2017/18 form. Away from home, he has consistently been our best player IMHO - with two games, in particular, where his performance stood out as simply being magnificent - at Rochdale and at Southport.

What is for sure, in Luke Shiels and Tom Platt, our manager Craig brought in two excellent players to his squad - and Alfreton Town's loss has definitely been Boston United's gain!! 

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 04:35:51 PM »
It was interesting to read in an interview that Shiels recommended Platt to CE.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 06:33:51 PM »
Congrats to Shiels indeed. I went for him in the end, although Platt was much in my mind. Both had outstanding seasons, and I think KP is right in that Platt (the sort of player we've been needing for a while) let Abbott and Thanoj get back to good form. Let's hope we get to see them all again at some point......

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 07:01:55 PM »
It was interesting to read in an interview that Shiels recommended Platt to CE.

Platt signed for Harrogate when John McDermott was their assistant manager. He then signed for Alfreton when McDermott was their manager. Maybe Shiels did recommend him. But I'd have guessed the transfer probably had more to do with our assistant manager.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 09:02:31 PM »
Shiels signed for us before McDermott joined as assistant manager...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/