Author Topic: Jim Rodwell.  (Read 5700 times)

Gus

• View Profile
Jim Rodwell.
« on: April 22, 2020, 01:42:03 PM »
I have just seen that Rodwell is now CEO of Sunderland.

A strange one considering that Sunderland are up for sale.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Rodwell.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 05:44:28 PM »
See John 11:35 ! Nothing has surprised me in football appointments ever since Leeds United employed as certain Mr Evans as their manager a few years ago.  :police:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 05:50:42 PM by Burgh Boy »
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 07:56:12 AM »
See John 11:35 ! Nothing has surprised me in football appointments ever since Leeds United employed as certain Mr Evans as their manager a few years ago.  :police:
Whatever he had done after his playing days had probably not been the best.
But let's not forget that he played a massive part on the pitch for us when getting promoted to the the football league.
A very good player he was.
The reason we went bankrupt was not down to him, it was on the cards for a long time with each of the following owners stacking up massive debts, Malkinsons, Wood, Sotnick.
In my opinion Jim only tried to make the best of a debt ridden club, that was destined for bankruptcy.
He made the decision to place us into administration to protect the club until another owner could be found, which was his only viable option.
If Jim was as bad as you say he would never be able to take any CEO or Chairmanship position up, don't forget that you have to go through a strict auditing process and due diligence to gain this roles.
I know we all like to point fingers and accuse, but honestly Jim was not the cause and villain in our fall from the football league.

"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »
But let's not forget that he played a massive part on the pitch for us when getting promoted to the the football league.
The reason we went bankrupt was not down to him, it was on the cards for a long time with each of the following owners stacking up massive debts, Malkinsons, Wood, Sotnick.
In my opinion Jim only tried to make the best of a debt ridden club, that was destined for bankruptcy.
He made the decision to place us into administration to protect the club until another owner could be found, which was his only viable option.
If Jim was as bad as you say he would never be able to take any CEO or Chairmanship position up, don't forget that you have to go through a strict auditing process and due diligence to gain this roles.
I know we all like to point fingers and accuse, but honestly Jim was not the cause and villain in our fall from the football league.

Well said OBT people should not not judge without knowing the facts.

semion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:01:11 AM »
You lie with dogs, you get fleas

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 10:08:39 AM »
You lie with dogs, you get fleas

Exactly

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 11:37:34 AM »

"don't forget that you have to go through a strict auditing process and due diligence to gain this roles"

Hahahaha, yeah that process works so well.....

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 08:03:22 AM »

"don't forget that you have to go through a strict auditing process and due diligence to gain this roles"

Hahahaha, yeah that process works so well.....
Whatever the process is or isn't, the point that l am making is that Jim Rodwell did not rack up the massive debts that finally sunk us, that was done long before he arrived.
He did what he had to do in that situation, unless some magic multi millionaire came out of a genies lamp to save us, he did not have any other option.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 03:46:12 PM »
Rodwell arrived when Neil Thompson left in February 2004 (just after Sotnick took over...). He was caretaker manager, then Director of Football before becoming chairman for the final season in the FL.

He was the chairman for the full season that ended with us entering into a CVA. It was his duty to avoid this. He was also registered as a director of Lavaflow Ltd, to whom most of the debt was owed to... (now dissolved, last owned by DN and NK).

As soon as the planning application for a new stadium down Boardsides (plus redeveloping on Boston Town's ground too) was rejected in December 2006, that was pretty much it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/6208992.stm

Rodwell: "This is very, very disappointing and this is a very black day for Boston United. Where we go from here, I just don't know," Mr Rodwell said. This was submitted but came in quite late and we didn't have enough time to thoroughly evaluate it. He added unless he could convince shareholders to back the club, he could not guarantee Boston would have a football team in a league by the end of December.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 06:10:07 PM »
Whatever Jim Rodwell did and didn't do, I will always remember the fact he "went missing" during the days when the club was thrown into turmoil. Straight after Wrexham and the CVA it was always a case of local radio and newspaper reporters trying to get hold of Rodwell but him not making himself available for interviews or comments. The sports reports kept saying that nobody knew where he was. Fans were desperately worried about whether we still had a club to support and at the one time we needed reassurances and some clarification Rodwell went AWOL. I've never been happy with the way he handled that.

What a contrast we have with the way David Newton engages with media and supporters.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 07:55:12 AM »
Rodwell arrived when Neil Thompson left in February 2004 (just after Sotnick took over...). He was caretaker manager, then Director of Football before becoming chairman for the final season in the FL.

He was the chairman for the full season that ended with us entering into a CVA. It was his duty to avoid this. He was also registered as a director of Lavaflow Ltd, to whom most of the debt was owed to... (now dissolved, last owned by DN and NK).

As soon as the planning application for a new stadium down Boardsides (plus redeveloping on Boston Town's ground too) was rejected in December 2006, that was pretty much it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/6208992.stm

Rodwell: "This is very, very disappointing and this is a very black day for Boston United. Where we go from here, I just don't know," Mr Rodwell said. This was submitted but came in quite late and we didn't have enough time to thoroughly evaluate it. He added unless he could convince shareholders to back the club, he could not guarantee Boston would have a football team in a league by the end of December.
Very good summing up, but again it all comes down to the accumulation debt over the years, and relying on shareholders to prop the club up financially.
If one thing that this thread has proved, is that our current owners are doing the right thing by building a football club that has assets and a self generated income from its facilities.
"I don't believe you""

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 04:10:53 PM »
it all comes down to the accumulation debt over the years

£1.4m of debt was owed to Lavaflow (out of £3m), a company Rodwell served as a director for for over 3 years from April 2004.

The vast majority of the other half of the debt was to HMRC for PAYE and VAT payments, and £250k of rent, presumably built up over several years. There was also almost £100k of unpaid loan fees from players in the FL.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 04:35:01 PM »
Actually, as chairman of a club that went into administration as the third Wrexham goal went in, I'm amazed he passes the fit-and-proper test. Just shows you how feeble it is.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »
Weirdly, I don't think the fit-and-proper test even looks at any footballing history - just criminal records and bankruptcies.

semion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 08:48:22 PM »
Didn’t Gee Evans and Steve Evans in-laws join at the same time as Rodwell, as Director’s?