Author Topic: Season over  (Read 12408 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Season over
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 11:15:09 AM »
Could we not finish this seasons games when we are able with no promotion or relegation and then carry on next season adding points for both seasons together for promotion and relegation the next season. This would then not penalize this years standings. If it was possible start playing again a week or two before the normal start to the season.

Don't see the point in that idea ,   eg BPA could win the most points next season and not get promoted ,  surely we want the best team to get promoted .

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 11:18:42 AM »
I heard an option being talked about that if the current season is scrapped then next season teams will start with a handicap - along the lines of KL & York starting on plus 10 points - working backwards to BPA starting on zero.

TEP

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 12:06:59 PM »
It might not quite be over yet (for our sake let's hope it isn't!) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52048930

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 02:53:00 PM »
It might not quite be over yet (for our sake let's hope it isn't!) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52048930

In our case would we have a ground to play on ?    If an extension was imposed I think some clubs in our league would withdraw due to financial reasons .   

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 03:50:56 PM »
Could we not finish this seasons games when we are able with no promotion or relegation and then carry on next season adding points for both seasons together for promotion and relegation the next season. This would then not penalize this years standings. If it was possible start playing again a week or two before the normal start to the season.

Don't see the point in that idea ,   eg BPA could win the most points next season and not get promoted ,  surely we want the best team to get promoted .

It happens in other countries, where titles and relegations are decided over average points over multiple seasons.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 04:02:16 PM »
"All football below National League to end" https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351
All results expunged - no promotion or relegation - which presumably implies no relegation from our league?

Kirtonian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 05:13:00 PM »
This is all very confusing Chris B. Obviously they are not ruling out a possibility of concluding NLN. However there won't be any promotion from the feeder leagues e.g. Tamworth unless teams fold. That, sadly, could happen.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 05:38:58 PM »
I guess the further down the pyramid you go the easier it is to just void a season - less money involved. I think eventually the authorities will start to realise this season won’t be able to be completed.

Wuhan is still under lockdown and that’s been the best part of 4 months, we’ve only been in it a couple of days. I can’t see how this season will be completed without rejigging next season as well - something I don’t think thy will do. I’m gutted but coming to terms with the fact that I’ll never watch us play at York Street again.

It’s crazy to think that just a couple of weeks ago a full Premier League program would have gone ahead - the only thing that stopped it was Arteta being diagnosed.

Kirtonian

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 05:50:46 PM »
A good post BostonGoals. 100% agree with you unfortunately. Blame Forest's owner for shaking hands with Arteta.

holbeach 56

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 05:58:10 PM »
According to bbc national league fixtures are to be completed including north and south.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 06:17:01 PM »
I guess the further down the pyramid you go the easier it is to just void a season - less money involved. I think eventually the authorities will start to realise this season won’t be able to be completed.

Wuhan is still under lockdown and that’s been the best part of 4 months, we’ve only been in it a couple of days. I can’t see how this season will be completed without rejigging next season as well - something I don’t think thy will do. I’m gutted but coming to terms with the fact that I’ll never watch us play at York Street again.

It’s crazy to think that just a couple of weeks ago a full Premier League program would have gone ahead - the only thing that stopped it was Arteta being diagnosed.

Fully agree ,  First and foremost the virus situation will be the decide if the games can commence .  Following that the North and South league teams will demand funding to participate .   And even after that I go along with Kirtonian's suggestion teams will elect to resign due to finances .

PS If the season is extended would YS be available ?.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:20:16 PM by green hats mate »

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 07:39:11 PM »
Just reading about Vauxhall Motors, have to feel sorry for them. They'd already secured enough points this season to secure promotion, mathematically they were already up. But their season has been declared null and void and they stay in the same league.

That example though is precisely the reason why the points from this campaign have to count for something - either see out the existing campaign late or carry over points into next season.

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 09:03:03 PM »
Just a thought,
All clubs will have players out of contract May, June and July.
If the League runs past April some clubs might have limited squads.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 09:28:10 PM »
Just reading about Vauxhall Motors, have to feel sorry for them. They'd already secured enough points this season to secure promotion, mathematically they were already up. But their season has been declared null and void and they stay in the same league.

That example though is precisely the reason why the points from this campaign have to count for something - either see out the existing campaign late or carry over points into next season.

That way next seasons best team would probably miss out on promotion .   And the demoted teams from Nat Con how would they stand ?
Instead of having one season with  an unsatisfactory conclusion we would end up with 2 consecutive seasons with unsatisfactory conclusions .

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 10:34:56 PM »
I understand there is an issue with contracts for non-league clubs/players and of course finance issues for clubs with no income but we surely have to restart this season when we can.

Next season doesn't matter, it hasn't started yet. If this goes on until Sept/Oct lets re-start then. Next season can be worked out once this one is finished. There is no guarantee that that would be able to start as normal in August anyway.

It might be slightly selfish because we've a fair chance of going up but for me that makes the most sense. Will clubs refund us for going to games which no longer 'exist'? Will fines clubs have had to pay this season be refunded to them as the season is void?! The FA Cup is still going of course so we can keep hold of that prize money!

On an even more selfish view point next season will be a bit more of a bore for fans as we'll be playing exactly the same teams, no promotions/relegations with no new towns/grounds to visit.