Author Topic: Season over  (Read 12411 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Season over
« on: March 25, 2020, 12:06:52 PM »
Looks like the National League have voted to end the season, with the only remaining decision now whether to void the season or go with some other method (points per game?) of determining final league places for promotion/relegation. None of the methods mooted would elevate us into second, so that's that: another year of National League North!

Shame, it had been such a great/memorable season up to this point. But I'm not sure there was really any realistic prospect of the NL completing this season, unfortunately.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Season over
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 12:47:43 PM »
Was really hoping they'd follow PL/EFL and complete the season whenever that may be.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 01:42:07 PM »
If you stop the 19-20 season now, when do you start the 20-21 one? I wouldn't assume we would be ready to start it in August...

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 02:17:46 PM »
No easy alternative really ,   I don't think there will be much of a problem sorting out promotion and relegation if they decide to implement it .

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 02:54:52 PM »
No easy alternative really ,   I don't think there will be much of a problem sorting out promotion and relegation if they decide to implement it .

Pete, you can't say that.  Kings Lynn were on a very bad run and York were in my opinion were only on top due to most games played.  I am not saying the league will not promote KL and York, but with a quarter of the season still to play, I think it is unfair to teams below.  If we were top the league would be voided.  I say write this season off and start again.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 03:05:26 PM »
Annoying.

Should restart when it becomes an option. If that's July/August/September then so be it. It's 'one game' but what we're seeing now is all the different leagues come up with different plans on what they're going to do. Of course money talks so the PL will just continue when that becomes an option!

Shame we won't have any competitive football until August at the earliest now.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 03:47:12 PM »

Pete, you can't say that.  Kings Lynn were on a very bad run and York were in my opinion were only on top due to most games played.  I am not saying the league will not promote KL and York, but with a quarter of the season still to play, I think it is unfair to teams below.  If we were top the league would be voided.  I say write this season off and start again.

With the virus situation I could not see any football in our league before June , well into July before promotion would be decided .Mick
A month break before the new season would not be acceptable to many part-timers I don't think .     

What ever formula they use relegation is easy . don't think Blyth or BPA would contest relegation .
Promotion ?  I suspect Lynn will stand aside and reject promotion .    in the current situation I don't think many teams will be keen on promotion .          " Write of the season and start again "    I think in our league most teams (and your bookie ) ;)would vote for that .

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 04:09:51 PM »
If you stop the 19-20 season now, when do you start the 20-21 one? I wouldn't assume we would be ready to start it in August...

I'd have competed this season at all costs,even if it took 8 months to restart and totally binned off 2020/1 and start up again in August 2021.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 04:37:15 PM »
Doing the maths... whethe you use overal PPG or a split home/away PPG for remaining games, the table finishes KL, York, BUFC.

Only differences between the 2 are KL losing 1/3 of a point (as they have more away games left), and us gaining a point (due to having more home games left).

If you compare both North and South, we have the 5th best PPG record. This might be crucial if for some reason they have to promote an extra team at this step.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 05:29:44 PM »
I'm with you Josh!

I think it is fine to curtail next season by say only playing each team once or having a two mini-leagues of 11 and play-offs to see who goes up and down as everybody would know what they were getting into before they start. Whereas even a month ago nobody was talking about stopping this season early so it just seems wrong to do it.

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 06:33:09 PM »
This whole debate's only happening because the FA / leagues had no plan in place. Obviously they couldn't have predicted this precise pandemic but pandemics in general are inevitable. It's much easier to agree on a policy when everyone's on zero points than most of the way through a season. They'll face legal challenges whatever they do now.

Anyway, we are where we are. I'm in the 'start again when we can' camp, even if that means large changes to playing staff over the summer, but am open minded. There's a decent chance that season 2020/21 will be interrupted by another lockdown during the coming winter so we might not be able to finish that season on time if we try to start again in August. If we do carry on this season and finish it in October (say) then the leagues should arrange a one-off cup competition (with groups to guarantee a minimum number of games) in the spring of 2021 to see us through to the summer.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 07:35:39 PM »
Whatever the outcome i have to conclude my Jam Jar collection so if anyone has one on the go could you please just let me know on here and I will make arrangements to collect when that is possible. As you are aware the money is for the TVs on the concourses, I stress on the concourses so only the fans many who have supported me can enjoy. At the present time with work on the stadium suspended it is clear there could be problems ahead regarding having it ready for resumption of play, but with little chance of using York Street again every effort will have to be made and all donations made to help get us in there. So I will be donating the £3,500 I have banked as soon as it can be done and any further jam jar donations will be used for something else, how about two chestnut trees at the entrance to the site one called David and one called Neil?. Please everyone stay safe and God willing we will all meet again soon.  UTP

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 09:38:22 PM »
I'm with you Josh!

I think it is fine to curtail next season by say only playing each team once or having a two mini-leagues of 11 and play-offs to see who goes up and down as everybody would know what they were getting into before they start. Whereas even a month ago nobody was talking about stopping this season early so it just seems wrong to do it.

Just have a one off mini league of teams in the east Midlands and call it the east Midlands sometimes floodlit league!
Us
Forest
Notts
Lincoln
Posh
Grimsby
Scunny
Leicester
Derby
Chesterfield
Mansfield
Burton
Alfreton
Lynn
Kettering

There you go 14 teams
Mixed standard
Play home and away

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 09:42:11 AM »
The National league I would suggest did not take this step without consulting all members ,  There appears to be no protests from clubs so it seems like that they were in overall agreement with a plan outlined as to how to conclude the season .     I think that most followers of the game prefer to stick to tradition , although whatever it is done we have to accept not everyone will be happy .   I don't really see many fans accepting mini-seasons or competitions against what would be against EFL youth teams .     We have to make the best of what is a one off happening . and next season kick-off the season in the normal format as near as possible .

The most important point missed is,   FINANCE !      Ultimately the arrangement will have the satisfy the league sponsors , the league , the clubs need to retain sponsors, and last but not least players and their agents .         I suspect most clubs require the time to devise a plan of survival .

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 10:50:47 AM »
Could we not finish this seasons games when we are able with no promotion or relegation and then carry on next season adding points for both seasons together for promotion and relegation the next season. This would then not penalize this years standings. If it was possible start playing again a week or two before the normal start to the season.