Author Topic: The Cobra effect  (Read 44879 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Cobra effect
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2020, 09:47:46 AM »
I have a very bad feeling that we will have the highest death rate in Europe.
Looks about right Dipodah... but we're all encouraged to go back to work despite a  daily death rate of 400+.
Its not going to to go away anytime soon, but can we adapt to the new covid reality and regain some semblance of normality, without hitting a second, super-size sombrero?  ???

Not a prediction I am happy to admit to Ed.  On a brighter note, I was reading somewhere that if you take deaths per million, we come about fifth.  I see the government has stopped using the comparison graph.

As always I take on the advice you offer Dip .     I am collecting an order of facemasks for the family today .       I hold the same fears as you Mick ,  I will not take up the offer of going on golf courses for a time yet .     

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2020, 10:42:18 AM »
505 deaths per million, so we're the fourth worst performing country in the world after Belgium, Spain and Italy.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2020, 12:24:00 PM »
505 deaths per million, so we're the fourth worst performing country in the world after Belgium, Spain and Italy.

Very sad Pete.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2020, 08:00:43 AM »
I have to say, that in many food manufacturing companies in Lincolnshire, that the majority have not protected their shop floor worker's adequately.
No 2 meter segregation,no face masks, agency workers travelling together in Van's, sitting next to each other.
Delivery drivers allowed to exchange paperwork with no gloves on.
Whilst salary workers are sent home to work or furloughed, the soldiers on the floor have been exposed terribly to the disease.
It has took weeks for some companies to start issuing the correct PPE to their employees.
Believe me it has been by pure luck only that food production operatives have not had a plague like outbreak between themselves.
Shocking really.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2020, 04:14:17 PM »
What impact will the localised lockdowns yet have on the play-offs?

Centre of Leicester is now locked down for at least another two weeks - I believe Andi Thanoj lives in Leicester so this could impact on his ability to get to training / matches. Linked to this, unlikely that Leicester v Crystal Palace will take place in Leicester this weekend and may be moved to a neutral venue.

List of places circulating on line as "at risk" of similar measures because of COVID spikes - this includes part of Yorkshire - Doncaster, York and Wakefield. A lockdown in Doncaster could be damaging for us in terms of our training base, and presumably we will have players living in and around these towns. Could a lockdown in York jeopardise their home advantage in any play-off matches?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2020, 10:34:18 AM »

Centre of Leicester is now locked down for at least another two weeks - I believe Andi Thanoj lives in Leicester so this could impact on his ability to get to training / matches. Linked to this, unlikely that Leicester v Crystal Palace will take place in Leicester this weekend and may be moved to a neutral venue.

List of places circulating on line as "at risk" of similar measures because of COVID spikes - this includes part of Yorkshire - Doncaster, York and Wakefield. A lockdown in Doncaster could be damaging for us in terms of our training base, and presumably we will have players living in and around these towns. Could a lockdown in York jeopardise their home advantage in any play-off matches?

Local lockdown seem to be restricted to closing non-essential businesses and schools rather than limiting people's travel to and from Leicester, despite Hancock recommending against "all but essential travel". The rules are so muddled the police won't be able to enforce anything anyway.

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2020, 09:46:44 PM »

List of places circulating on line as "at risk" of similar measures because of COVID spikes - this includes part of Yorkshire - Doncaster

You can add Skeg Vegas to the 'at risk' list after this 'bank holiday' weekend;  hopefully they'll just lock Skeggy down and it won't affect Boston.

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2020, 07:54:46 AM »
Another Cobra meeting today. 
Sounds like extremely bad news for most sports with the restrictions on numbers at  events being looked at in the light of the rising infection rate.
Is it time for government to stop hiding behind the science (which could be wrong anyway), and make a political decision to keep businesses going?

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2020, 08:40:06 AM »
Just been announced fans returning to stadiums on October 1st will not go ahead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54246745

Really sad news, a lot of clubs at our level will now struggle to survive.

I wonder if the clubs have put anything into players contracts for this season to cover this?

Really don't think going to football is any more likely to spread Covid than pubs, cinemas etc that are allowed to open.

National League were saying we won't start league if without fans, so will they just postpone it until fans are allowed in? Could be months though. I assume we will still play FA cup match on Oct 3rd, behind closed doors. Bizarrely if we draw Gainsborough away 600 will all be allowed in the Northolme, if we get a home time will still be at Northolme but behind closed doors.

Anyone know how much revenue playoff streaming sales raised  /viewing figures ? I watched both our matches and seemed like most Boston fans did. Not sure if that would be more viable than not starting season for months.

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2020, 09:21:42 AM »
Presumably if we draw any lower league team at home we could just switch the tie to their home ground and get some revenue from 50% of the gate?

In fact we should probably switch any home draw if allowed even against a team from our own level - there's no point on paying rent at the Northolme to pay a home game if there are no fans there - we might as well play at Alfreton or wherever?

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2020, 09:46:42 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54246745

"Several months without fans" for elite sports. Under these circumstances I suppose the half dozen clubs in our league that don't go bust could start the season in March and play each other twice?

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2020, 12:02:05 PM »
I know keeping everyone safe is a priority.
But how many clubs will go bust, including full time ones.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2020, 01:02:55 PM »
I am not surprised it has come to this.  I am afraid a lot of people were under the impression the virus had gone away.  The missus and I went for our yearly jaunt to Yarmouth last week.  The place was heaving, and few masks being worn, with social distancing non existent.  We rarely ventured out and felt unsafe.

I have been a big critic of the under 40's and their selfish attitude during this pandemic.  I must say, what we saw it was all age groups and nationalities.  To get back to normality, we all have to take responsibility.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 01:13:22 PM by Dipdodah »
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2020, 08:56:20 PM »
Guess this now depends on the viability of streaming. Will any income from that be enough to tide clubs over? If fans are completely ruled out until at least the spring then it may be easier just to consider a ‘freeze’ for this season, as much as that would be unpalatable.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2020, 09:00:02 AM »
Not sure how they can freeze the season - clubs have players on contracts who will still need to be paid, and have no income.
IMO there needs to be Government support, because we have no TV deal to prop us up like the PL/EFL do - and go ahead with matches being streamed.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/