Author Topic: The Cobra effect  (Read 44959 times)

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Cobra effect
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2020, 06:26:58 AM »
All McDonald's restaurants are to completely close from today.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2020, 10:54:53 AM »
Messaging a friend who runs a school in South Korea yesterday. They were locked down for two weeks but now the school is open. They have to wear the masks but things are slowly returning to normal.

Key differences to the UK approach appear to be :

The South Koreans have the capability to community test 20k people per day, and they started doing that in February as they were one of the first countries to get it. ( Total number of UK tests as of March 20th 65k)
Any positive results were quarantined, all their recent activities were analysed and all contacts traced using credit card history and mobile phone data. All these contacts were tested and quarantined where necessary.

They had a total shutdown lasting 2 weeks.

In the UK we have very limited testing capability, its increasing but still nowhere near what's needed. You still cannot get a test despite last week's announcements of 25k per day capability being rolled out.  Maybe thats why they looked at the herd immunity option.  From the first announcements at Cobra 1 it looked like a government hiding behind the science and delaying the difficult decisions.

A big difference between the UK and South Korea of course, and you would never get people to surrender mobile phone data and credit cards over here, but the recent 'bank holiday weekend' mentality, and the delays, could mean we are heading for an Italy+++ situation unless they move fast.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2020, 12:15:42 PM »
Well said Ed.  Scary is an understatement.  Ban all gatherings,  no matter who it offends.  Stop dithering, no more advising and lock down before we have a Spanish flu type death rate.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Oops

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »
That’s the way in my opinion. Hit the crisis hard. Anybody who shows complete disregard of the rules and puts other people’s lives at risk should be shot. That’s probably why I’m not Prime Minister. Stand tall Boris. Make the hard decisions. Complete lockdown and a decree that Boston United have won the league and get promoted.

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2020, 07:27:37 AM »
Lock-down apart from the construction industry according to Robert Jenrick, Secretary of state for Housing.
He needs his patio finished off  :o

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2020, 08:10:01 AM »
Lock-down apart from the construction industry according to Robert Jenrick, Secretary of state for Housing.

Looks like work on the new stadium has now been shut down and the site made safe.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2020, 10:43:20 AM »

Looks like work on the new stadium has now been shut down and the site made safe.

Looks to me Pete we are very close to shut down on the pitch for National League teams .

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2020, 12:29:30 PM »
Boris confirmed as testing positive for covid 19 :o

Oops

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2020, 02:13:34 PM »
If that’s right I think the chancellor could take his place but he seems to have his hands full at the moment.

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »
Apparently Dominic Raab will take over if the Prime Minister is unable to continue.  He's OK at the moment with just mild symptoms.  My experience was mild symptoms to begin with, 3 days of sore throat and a slight temperature, followed by a much higher temperature, coughing, and struggling for breath. I didn't do much during the second part, but I'm out of quarantine now  ;D

Just heard Health Secretary Matt Hancock has also got it  :o

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2020, 04:47:15 PM »
Apparently Dominic Raab will take over if the Prime Minister is unable to continue.  He's OK at the moment with just mild symptoms.  My experience was mild symptoms to begin with, 3 days of sore throat and a slight temperature, followed by a much higher temperature, coughing, and struggling for breath. I didn't do much during the second part, but I'm out of quarantine now  ;D

Just heard Health Secretary Matt Hancock has also got it  :o
Pleased to hear you are on the mend.
Let's hope that most people get through this like yourself.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2020, 10:42:08 AM »
Thanks obt  :police:
Let's hope the PM gets through this.

Key tests are being carried out today at Porton Down, and the results will determine the lockdown exit strategy.
Apparently up to 50% of the population may be asymptomatic carriers  :o 
The scientists at Porton Down have been working on this since January, so hopefully their results will help the government put together an exit strategy.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2020, 02:08:43 PM »
With things getting no better, or even getting worse if you take in an estimated 8500 non hospital deaths.  I cannot see spectator sports  making a return anytime in 2020.

I think the government has brought in a herd immunity scheme.  They want 80% of the population to get the virus.  The theory being that the virus would then eradicate itself.  Why else would our borders be open with no checks on entry.  Why else would they allow the Cheltenham festival with 250,000 spectators take place.

I thought the government was doing an okay job in these difficult times.  But now things are starting to surface. PPE or the lack of it.  Why did we send China our surplus supplies of PPE?  I have a very bad feeling that we will have the highest death rate in Europe.  Maybe my first statement contradicts itself, maybe they will bring spectator sports back this year.  But as much as I miss watching the lads, would you feel safe?

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2020, 05:33:31 PM »
I have a very bad feeling that we will have the highest death rate in Europe.
Looks about right Dipodah... but we're all encouraged to go back to work despite a  daily death rate of 400+.
Its not going to to go away anytime soon, but can we adapt to the new covid reality and regain some semblance of normality, without hitting a second, super-size sombrero?  ???
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:57:24 PM by Ed Kandii »

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2020, 08:33:04 AM »
I have a very bad feeling that we will have the highest death rate in Europe.
Looks about right Dipodah... but we're all encouraged to go back to work despite a  daily death rate of 400+.
Its not going to to go away anytime soon, but can we adapt to the new covid reality and regain some semblance of normality, without hitting a second, super-size sombrero?  ???

Not a prediction I am happy to admit to Ed.  On a brighter note, I was reading somewhere that if you take deaths per million, we come about fifth.  I see the government has stopped using the comparison graph.