Author Topic: The Cobra effect  (Read 44969 times)

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
The Cobra effect
« on: March 02, 2020, 06:33:16 PM »
A policy of early aggressive containment is a possible outcome of today's Cobra meeting. It appears to be working to reduce covid 19 infection rates in China, but the country has been completely locked down and that's not likely to happen over here at the moment.
However there could be advisory/compulsory limits on the numbers of people gathering to watch sporting events etc. Apparently legislation is expected.
Worrying times   :-\ :-\:-\

Oops

• View Profile
Re: The Cobra effect
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 07:02:29 PM »
Not for Kings Lynn it ain’t. 😁

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 09:20:17 PM »
The rumours are  limits no more than crowds of 1000 . I can see Cheltenham racing off next week.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 10:26:02 PM »
10 teams in our league currently averaging over 1000 crowds. Southport are on 999!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 01:19:46 PM »
Boris has pushed peak coronavirus back to May/June  ??? to avoid overloading the NHS so, if he's right, we should be OK for the rest of the season.  8)
If he's wrong, and we see an exponential rise in the number of cases, they will introduce the new measures. 

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 07:54:11 AM »
Another cobra meeting today after the 3rd UK death from covid 19. 
Also a meeting of the DCMS to discuss the effect of sports events being held behind closed doors as in the Italian Series A.
The liklihood of this happening here has allegedly moved from possible to probable.  :-\

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 09:29:10 AM »
My lefty bordering on communist mate, visits certain websites. Not the websites which would prompt a visit from plod I must add :D.

Last November on a Chinese website,  they were concerned about a man made virus escaping from a lab in Wuhan province. 

He tried to find the article since and it had been deleted.  I think that as usual Joe public is only being told a few facts.  I am not saying this is man made, but things are more serious than is being told.  Italy has a death rate of nearly 5%, but this could be lower due to people showing no signs.

Anyway worrying times ahead.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:34:17 AM by Dipdodah »

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »
Thats interesting Dipodah, as in the USA certain experts, who for decades have advocated against the development and use of bioweapons, suspect COVID-19 is a weaponized pathogen that escaped from Wuhan City’s Biosafety Level 4 facility, which was specifically set up to research coronaviruses and SARS
They think the COVID-19 virus is a chimera. It includes SARS, an already weaponized coronavirus, along with HIV genetic material and possibly flu virus. It also has a 'gain of function' property that allow it to spread a greater distance than a normal virus.

Personally I prefer the bat soup theory  ;)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 11:06:13 AM »
Thats interesting Dipodah, as in the USA certain experts, who for decades have advocated against the development and use of bioweapons, suspect COVID-19 is a weaponized pathogen that escaped from Wuhan City’s Biosafety Level 4 facility, which was specifically set up to research coronaviruses and SARS
They think the COVID-19 virus is a chimera. It includes SARS, an already weaponized coronavirus, along with HIV genetic material and possibly flu virus. It also has a 'gain of function' property that allow it to spread a greater distance than a normal virus.

Personally I prefer the bat soup theory  ;)

I saw an undercover video of Wuhan market, taken by an animal rights campaigner.  I will not go into detail, but the scenes were shocking.  You could easily see due to lack of hygiene, and the slaughtering of animals in public, how such a virus came into being.

I see Sky and BT will not be able to broadcast into pubs and clubs if a spectator ban comes into force.

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 11:09:40 AM »
PSG v Borussia Dortmund is now behind closed doors on Wednesday  :o

Oops

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 11:11:18 AM »
I am considering the dubious possibility that it’s the monkey in Africa to blame. He gets the blame for most things so why not this, despite the fact he hasn’t been to China.
As for controlling crowds at sporting events, I have a season ticket so will be ok. Anyway providing everyone stays 2 yards apart should be ok as well. Will certainly make the ground look full. 🤧

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 09:05:56 AM »
Cobra meeting today, looks like we are moving on to delayment of the virus.  Looks like we may not be able to finish the league.  What happens then?  I think all games will be null and void, and this season will deleted from the record books.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 09:37:57 AM »
I think all games will be null and void, and this season will deleted from the record books.

Is there a Duckworth-Lewis-Stern equivalent in football?

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 10:02:33 AM »
I see that two of the Six nations Rugby games have been postponed, only Wales v Scotland is going ahead.
They are saying that they might not be able to conclude the championship until May.
I say conclude it after Saturday, the result of the match in Cardiff has no bearing on the outcome of the championship, so just void the result and start again next year.
Most of players will be outside of the contracted international window anyway after Sunday, their respective clubs will probably not release them anyway.
Many of the fans would have made other plans or have other commitments.
Sometimes things just happen, and you have to take it on the chin.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 10:04:58 AM »
I am considering the dubious possibility that it’s the monkey in Africa to blame. He gets the blame for most things so why not this, despite the fact he hasn’t been to China.
As for controlling crowds at sporting events, I have a season ticket so will be ok. Anyway providing everyone stays 2 yards apart should be ok as well. Will certainly make the ground look full. 🤧
I blame it on Brexit, and if it's not that it's definitely Global Warming  ;D :P
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".