Author Topic: Weather  (Read 4348 times)

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Weather
« on: February 17, 2020, 09:41:11 AM »
I see the Met Office is forecasting bad weather at the weekend, so there might be a likelyhood some games will again be postponed, will the League chiefs be
forced into extending the season?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 09:43:36 AM »
Very unlikely Ernie,  that would take common sense :D :D
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 08:42:52 AM »
Looking like the ill fated Gateshead match will be in doubt. That would make it three postponements, bloody weather >:(

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 10:06:26 AM »
I was talking to my 90 year old father in law this morning.  He said in all his 90 years, he has never known it rain so much for so long. The Wainfleet floods were last June, and apart from the odd few days it's rained till now.  We seem to be stuck in a cycle, a couple of dry days, then heavy rain.  I doubted global warming, I thought it was another way of taxing the working man.  I am afraid there is no doubting it now. We may have to rethink things, and quickly.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
Bit of a baptism of fire for Jim, a knackered pitch and all this rain. Feel for the lad really, you can't polish a turd and this rain makes the job doubly hard.

I've been coming 43 years and never known us lose so many games to waterlogging. If there is one positive to the new ground its the pitch should be up to dealing with all this water.

The week looks a bit damp full stop, we might be lucky with next Saturday but I think its safe for Josh not to book a train for tomorrow night.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 11:35:36 AM »
I remember you and your dad laying drainage in the late 80's early 90's.  It always got a bit heavy Andy.  Perhaps things have changed, for a match to be off it would take a plague of locusts.  I would not worry about protecting the pitch ( it will soon be gone ).  I am in the mind of putting pressure on all around us.  The league I doubt will extend the season.  Let Kings Lynn and the others play six matches in fourteen days.  We could turn this to our advantage. Perhaps I'm just p*ssed off with all the postponements, rant over. ;) ;)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 01:56:20 PM »
I remember you and your dad laying drainage in the late 80's early 90's.  It always got a bit heavy Andy.  Perhaps things have changed, for a match to be off it would take a plague of locusts.  I would not worry about protecting the pitch ( it will soon be gone ).  I am in the mind of putting pressure on all around us.  The league I doubt will extend the season.  Let Kings Lynn and the others play six matches in fourteen days.  We could turn this to our advantage. Perhaps I'm just p*ssed off with all the postponements, rant over. ;) ;)

Only the barrow boy but it was pretty tough going!

Points on the board are all that matter, I'd rather have that than a few games in hand.

Still think Xmas will bite us on the bum though which is a shame as I've not enjoyed a season this much since 82/3 when we lost 1 home game all season, got to the Trophy last 8 and took The Red and White Wizards to a replay in the FA Cup. This group deserve something for their efforts and entertainment this term.

Oops

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 02:28:29 PM »
Like most folk I am fed up with all this bloody awful weather. Must have been going for 4 months or more. To top it all the met office are saying we should all have 8 inches by the weekend, I’ve emailed them and told them I’m not having 4 inches cut off for anyone. 😂
The old ones are the best.
I’ll be surprised if tomorrow nights game is a goer. Colder up north than here so wouldn’t wish that journey on anyone, maybe perhaps on Spendymoor.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 04:38:44 PM »
Anyone know how the pitch is?  I have an acre field which I  have been pumping water off over the past months. I have two submersible pumps which shifts the water fairly swiftly. Just an idea, but if we can get a group of like minded fans armed with a brush and bucket,  can we not clear any standing water? Depending on the weather forecast obviously.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 07:42:02 PM »
From Roy Hackford:

"Hopefully we won't get much more rain in the next 24 hours. James, the groundsman, has been using the large sponge roller BUSA purchased for the club to get the surface water off and allow the rest to drain away...."
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 08:52:43 PM »
Sorted.  Didn't know we had a giant sponge. Better than my plan.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 09:10:01 AM »
Great buy BUSA MATCH ON!

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 10:39:11 AM »
It's Shrove Tuesday and Jim Portas and his team are working hard to get the pitch ready for tonight's match against Gateshead.
Don't expect it to be flat as a pancake though.   ;D     
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 04:02:57 PM by Cavalier »
United we stand..................

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 01:15:11 PM »
Well done to all concerned, helps  the backlog.  Hope the lads put in as much effort tonight.  Tonight is a great chance to put pressure on the teams around us.  I will take a scrappy 1-0. Good luck lads. :D