Author Topic: Lincs Senior Cup Final  (Read 4233 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Lincs Senior Cup Final
« on: February 13, 2020, 08:14:43 PM »
Given that's it's Boston's last season at York Street I was rather disappointed to see that the venue for the Lincs Senior Cup Final against Cleethorpes Town is going to be Sincil Bank. How many people will bother making the trek to Lincoln for that one?

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lincs Senior Cup Final
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:59:57 PM »
This is a rather strange decision from Lincs FA, :-X
Not sure many will bother with a tin pot cup at Lincolnshire’s top sporting stadium. >:(

Oops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 08:21:05 AM »
That’s a bit strong, Lincolnshire’s top sports stadium. I always thought that was Boston Uniteds.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 09:48:28 AM »
No worries from me as I am flying to warmer climes that day. Back seven days later and yes you guessed it rearranged Darlington at home that day could be a bit of a rush to get there. They never consult me when rearranging games (disgusting).

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 12:17:56 PM »
Presumably the last neutral game we played there was the UniBond Challenge Cup Final against Gainsborough in 1997, losing AET. Nearly 3000 went to that one!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 12:19:10 PM »
Presumably the last neutral game we played there was the UniBond Challenge Cup Final against Gainsborough in 1997, losing AET. Nearly 3000 went to that one!

Cracking game that, despite the result. I loved the segregation too - Trinity and Boston fans put next to each other in the same stand! That went about as well as to be expected.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »

Cracking game that, despite the result. I loved the segregation too - Trinity and Boston fans put next to each other in the same stand! That went about as well as to be expected.

I still swear the ball crossed the line for Phil Brown (I think) off the bar. Grant Morrow scored the winner didn't he?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Bodge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 12:40:46 PM »
I remember a young tall long haired centre back for Trinity. He had a blinder, think he was called Paul Ellender.

I might be dreaming that though, long time ago.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »

I still swear the ball crossed the line for Phil Brown (I think) off the bar. Grant Morrow scored the winner didn't he?

Yeah, penalty in extra time! I remember Simon Armstrong crying at the end.

As for Brown's "goal", I honestly couldn't decide at the time it it was over or not. I seem to recall we were easily the better team but didn't really create much in the way of chances - definitely 'one that got away'.....

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 05:04:28 PM »
For the record the neighbouring Norfolk Senior Cup Final is nowadays played at Carrow Road with the semi-finals also played at a neutral venue at the Football Development Centre in Norwich.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 05:54:49 PM »
With games mounting up, I can see this game being used to give squad players a run out.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 06:49:52 PM »
For the record the neighbouring Norfolk Senior Cup Final is nowadays played at Carrow Road with the semi-finals also played at a neutral venue at the Football Development Centre in Norwich.

And the final of the Leicestershire Senior Cup is played at the King Power Stadium. I believe Leicester City enter one of their junior teams in the competition against an otherwise set of non league clubs. As far as I know the Leicestershire competition is commercially sponsored (this certainly used to be the case). The naming rights of the competition were sold which then meant more prize money was available for clubs progressing in the competition. I think the competition then gets taken a little bit more seriously than the Lincs equivalent sometimes is.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
Given that's it's Boston's last season at York Street I was rather disappointed to see that the venue for the Lincs Senior Cup Final against Cleethorpes Town is going to be Sincil Bank. How many people will bother making the trek to Lincoln for that one?
I couldn't understand it either, l can't imagine both sets of fans bothering with it, we will probably field a much weaker team in the final and consequently get beat by a team itching to get a scalp.
I don't finish work until 6pm that day, and then a trek to Lincoln.
Nope it's one that l shall not bother with thanks.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 10:43:35 PM »
Great financial boost for both sides. Lincoln folk are known for turning up in their thousands as soon as there's a sight of silverware. And it'll be the only silverware on show at Sincil Bank all season.