Shiels
« on: January 21, 2020, 10:36:04 PM »
IMMENSE

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shiels
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:43:37 PM »
Covered so much ground and made at least 3 goal saving tackles and blocks. When we needed a leader he stood tall against 85 minutes of total onslaught. As you say, immense.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

pieman pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 12:05:07 AM »
Fantastic leader for us, first class character

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 06:40:10 AM »
Brilliant that lad is, let's hope he tied down for next season, if not must be done sooner rather than later.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Oops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 07:07:22 AM »
Fully agree about Shiels and everyone has their favourite but for me Alex Whittle should get a mention. I think he is terrific and works tirelessly.
And now for a little controversy, we must have the best defence in the league but I have always felt we lack something up front. I know we won but scoring goals always seems to be such hard work for us.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:03:50 AM »
Fully agree about Shiels and everyone has their favourite but for me Alex Whittle should get a mention. I think he is terrific and works tirelessly.
And now for a little controversy, we must have the best defence in the league but I have always felt we lack something up front. I know we won but scoring goals always seems to be such hard work for us.
I think it's more to do with trying to score the perfect goal, to many small little passes instead of just being direct and picking out the runners.
We do need a good powerful strong and direct forward though, just as another option if we go direct.
I would like to see Ainge play up there, or even give Middleton a go.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 09:41:58 AM »
What about Tuton for the direct and powerful role? From the little I've seen of him he seems to fit that bill.

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 09:47:59 AM »
Thewlis to pass the ball more, last night he had the perfect opportunity to pass to Knowles, who was free on the left,, but he decided to try and beat two
defenders and lost the ball.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 10:35:06 AM »
What about Tuton for the direct and powerful role? From the little I've seen of him he seems to fit that bill.
We what a goal scorer .

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 12:45:28 PM »
I feel sorry for Tuton, he scored a few pre season and now is totally out of the running, l would imagine that he would have picked Knowles out with a pass when they broke free, instead of what Thewlis did and try and keep it.
"I don't believe you""

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 02:30:57 PM »
I feel sorry for Tuton, he scored a few pre season and now is totally out of the running, l would imagine that he would have picked Knowles out with a pass when they broke free, instead of what Thewlis did and try and keep it.
What is Tuton's goals total over last 4 seasons ?

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 10:25:26 AM »
I don't think he should be judged on that, many strikers move to other clubs and find their scoring touch again, l am just making the point that he has never been given a proper chance, that's all.
"I don't believe you""

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 06:27:20 PM »
I don't think he should be judged on that, many strikers move to other clubs and find their scoring touch again, l am just making the point that he has never been given a proper chance, that's all.

In his last 79 games involving 7 clubs his goal tally is two(2) goals .

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 12:04:06 PM »

But how many have those have been from the bench??
I don't understand the animosity towards the lad, when we never get a chance to see what he can do.
Obviously Craig rates him or he would be down the road.
"I don't believe you""

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 05:53:50 PM »

But how many have those have been from the bench??
I don't understand the animosity towards the lad, when we never get a chance to see what he can do.
Obviously Craig rates him or he would be down the road.
[/quote

No animosity from me .   Just can't understand how a player who only scores 2 goals in 79 games can be termed a striker .