Author Topic: Curzon at home  (Read 4706 times)

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Curzon at home
« on: January 07, 2020, 10:23:33 PM »
I’d like to summarise by paraphrasing the manager’s post match interview on Radio Lincs...
Sometimes you have to take one on the chin and almost appreciate the opposition and the game plan which nearly had them stealing all 3 points but for a late blaze over the bar.
Yep, the pitch was heavy, the injury list grows again, the ref was pants and we should have had 2 pens, but even so, we sit 5th and there’s a lot of positive to be taken from that.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

steve m

• View Profile
Re: Curzon at home
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 10:25:47 PM »
However you dress it up, we have to beat teams like Curzon, if we are to be contenders.....

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 10:30:06 PM »
However you dress it up, we have to beat teams like Curzon, if we are to be contenders.....
...but to get into the playoffs you can stand an odd result like that. In the context of the game and how it panned out, I feel it’s a point that we might not have got on another day. Despite their position Curzon have beaten York and Chester, so clearly can grind a result out against better sides. Personally I’ll take 1 point tonight, but I’ll happily accept your comment that we should be looking for 3 in  these games. You don’t always get them though...
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Boston forever

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 10:30:55 PM »
Should we not take it as a compliment that teams are now coming to yorkstreet and closing up shop on us and hoping to scrape a draw, last season they would have been hoping for a win. We are 5th with a game in hand on 4 of the 5 teams above us.

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 10:41:07 PM »
Think we might be in danger of talking up Curzon.... They have been beaten 13 times in the league......

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 10:44:42 PM »
How on earth does anyone take anthing possitive out of that load of rubish. How have we become so poor in such a short time? extremely fortunate to have scraped 4 point the last two games against teams at the bottom of the league. No glory hunters there tonight in a poor crowd. How in Gods name Abbott got MOM is beyond belief match sponsors obviously being given to much to drink during game and goodnes knows what Ellender and Greavesy  thought about it.  UTP

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 11:43:53 PM »
Mel, I can't agree with you about Abbott. I thought he covered most blades of grass this evening, won the ball frequently, tried to get things going, and has been one of our most improved players in recent weeks (like you, I've had my doubts in the past). I'm not sure who else deserved it.

However, that does not excuse the witless football we saw this evening. I cannot understand why we continued all game to hoof it forward when it was obvious after a few minutes (as it is in most games) that this simply does not work. Most defences at this level will lap up that approach, as Curzon indeed did all night. The forwards rarely dropped back to try and get the ball in space (which only encourages the hoof, of course), and when Knowles did a few times towards the end of the first half he was ignored. There didn't seem to be any move by team or management to change the style. We have players who like the ball at their feet this year, so why on earth do we not play to their strengths? I wish the team would be coached to look for and find space as there is a serious lack of movement most of the time. I was too far away to judge either penalty appeal, but we shouldn't have to rely on such things. Credit to Curzon, as they came with a plan and stuck to it. I'm afraid that quite often I don't know what ours is.

We didn't deserve to win this evening, even though it is the sort of game we ought to win if we have play-off hopes. However, UTP!

holbeach 56

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 02:20:55 AM »
We do seem to have short memories sometimes, were a number of us complaining about Scott Garner lumping the ball forward all of the time, and surprise surprise once he is back we start lumping it forward.
Might it also be a coincidence that we have not played well since our manager was awarded a 2 year contract.

We had a fairly settled team but we seem to have gone back to last season where it is a different team every game.

Yes we are in the playoffs but it is a poor league this year and my fear is if we don't do it this year we will be stuck here for at least two more years.

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 07:47:40 AM »
We need a reality check. We are a part time club these players have had so many games in such a short period of time some carry knocks and injuries it will take its toll.  We didn’t win but also didn’t lose. Cursing played with ten begin the ball and we just couldn’t get the break. Final word about the ref he should be ringing Jake up to say sorry.  The challenge he took for his injury was a blatant red he was running through the middle and just blatantly taken out by the centre back when the ball was near the corner. Shocking. Big games coming up so we need to get behind them in this tough period.

semion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 08:18:36 AM »
I would suggest the NYD defeat at home to Kings Lynn has knocked the stuffing out of us.  Time to re-group and build back the confidence levels.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 08:57:58 AM »
When you 'sign up' as a supporter / season ticket holder, you should tell yourself there's going to be games in the fixture list that don't have the outcome you'd expect on paper. Last night against Curzon was one of them.

I know that if I was the Curzon manager I would have been telling my players that I wouldn't want a six hour round trip on a Tuesday night just to get a pasting  - and that's probably what he did. They battled hard and time wasted and did all the things you'd expect of a team that is fighting relegation. We can blame the ref (we usually do when we lose) but let's remember, he's only non league - just like the players in front of him (ie quite often not that great).

What I will say is that I do think we lack some balance in the team. Rollins, Thewlis, Knowles, Wright etc are all fairly similar sort of players and I think we need something a little different up our sleeves. Look how King's Lynn get much of their success - through the tried and tested non league formula of a big target man (Gash) and the nippy forward alongside (Marriott). I don't know if Elliott likes this way of playing but I think you have to have an approach like this at this level - three quick forwards works at Liverpool but not so much at NLN ! Having said that, it's not the end of the world - we're doing ok. I don't think we were ever going to win the league. Play offs at best and a good cup run will represent a successful season.

TEP

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 09:42:33 AM »
My take on the game has been mirrored by the majority of these posts.  The times ( especially in the first half ) Rollins was calling for the ball on the wing, and Penny either passed it back, or tried to put in through a very crowded midfield.

The pitch was very poor, and players from both teams seemed to struggle to keep their footing.  I am not sticking up for CE, but playing the ball on the ground last night seemed very hard to do.

Curzon were very good at what we seem to struggle to do.  That is going down very easily, playing the referee and blocking runs off the ball.

In my opinion Scott Tallis, last night's referee was as bad as Jonny Urwin the Kettering match referee.  He did not let the game flow.  He turned down two penalty incidents ( both for us ).  How that was not a penalty on Walker only I, and 800 other supporters will never know.  Danny Shaw should have got a straight red for taking out Jake wright, and every decision seemed to go Curzon's way.

We could have, and should have won this game, but we got a point and that puts us up to 5th.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 01:43:51 PM »
Still in the Play-offs!  :police:
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 11:13:53 PM »
Think we might be in danger of talking up Curzon.... They have been beaten 13 times in the league......

And they've pulled the odd result out as well - won at Chester on 28th December, and beat York at home in November.

The point we got could be crucial.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/