Author Topic: Structures?  (Read 20105 times)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Structures?
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:50:34 PM »
Due to the big queue outside the Spayne Rd, we made a rare excursion into the main stand on Boxing Day.
We did a quick hypothetical excercise, while waiting for a burger  :rudolph, into the way the stand has been constructed, the easiest way to take it down, transport it, and then reassemble it somewhere else, when the fateful day arrives and BUFC has to relocate to a new ground.  :'(
With the Malkies wanting to sell the ground its going to happen sooner or later and, whether the club is still being run by the Chestnuts or has been handed over to the Trust, the relocation will have to be done as efficiently as possible to keep costs from spiralling.
So the question is, do the Malkies own the structures around the ground or do they belong to the club?
I remember Bob Lee asking a similar question, but I'm not sure if it was answered.

cappo

• View Profile
Re: Structures?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:39:14 PM »
good question well presented.as there has been many different boards along the way i.e scumflow,chestnunts they have all been renting the ground so if it is any thing like renting a house and you make an improvement to the said property you would lose what you have done and so benefit the landlord i would think.
"till saturday comes"

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:11:29 PM »
yes the stands was built from the accounts of bufc(fund raising etc). All structures around the ground belong to the club.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »
The club may own the structures, but to install them at a new ground will require them to be fit for current building legislation, which they may well not be...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:21:51 PM »
I am pretty confident that it has been said that the club owns the actual stands, as it goes back to when the fans helped fundraise etc. for the building of them.  The Malkinsons only own the premises on which they're situated I think.

Either way, I don't know much about these things but surely we wouldn't be able to transport the stands?  Anyway, I am sure the Chestnuts will ensure that costs are kept to a minimum, and I can imagine that the seats at least would be used as part of a new ground.  There will be lots of ways we can save money.  If we could transport whole stands I would only take the Main Stand and Town End anyway.  It's a long way away yet though, and I should imagine that if anyone can do this ground move successfully it is our Board.  I say have faith, and if we do whatever they ask of us it should go to (an expensive) plan!
Well thats good, if the Malkies owned them they'd be cashing in on the structural steelwork!
The stands consist of 3 main structural elements; foundations, steel frame, and the pre-cast concrete units.
Its all bolted together like meccano. The frame is bolted down to the foundations, and then the concrete units are lifted into place and bolted up. The rest of it is a bit of insitu concrete followed by whatever blockwork you need for burger bar etc. Thats your basic structure...there's no reason why it can't be taken down in the reverse order, obviously you wouldn't be transporting the foundations anywhere.
A`structural engineer would soon tell you if it was possible to get it past the planners etc, the bolted connections would probably need strengthening, and the framework itself might need beefing up in places to meet current legislation.
Benton Bros could do a deal on a couple of lorries  ;)

You'd have to do the new foundations, then take the Townend and Spayne in the first year. The main stand would go the following year, leaving the York Street stand as a memorial to the old place.
Some of the grounds in this division are pretty poor, so it could be possible (if we are still in the unibond) to have a season at york street without the Townend and the Spayne  :o :o what a mind boggling thought!

threenil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:44:29 PM »
I got a screwdriver set in my cracker if that helps.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:05:48 AM »
A cheaper and better alternative is to build a new stand.

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 11:11:16 AM »
surely all the metal work will have a very decent scrap value if nothing else!

Pilgrims67

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 01:02:13 PM »
Why would you reuse a structure that is over 30 years old?
The cost to remove and install, the cost to transport, it's more viable to build a new structure.

I am doing a project at the moment that reuses an existing structure, it very difficult, there is a cost benefit to us, but it's more a sustainability benefit than a financial one

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 04:25:08 PM »
It is only viable if it can be dismantled and rebuild by threenils cracker screwdriver.

threenil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 05:14:20 PM »
We may need more crackers - I'm not doing it all on my own.

aggy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 06:43:43 PM »
Wasn't Pescod Hall picked up and popped on a set of skates to be moved for the new shops?

Trundling the main stand down to the boardsides at 1/2 mile hour would not hold up anyones journey any more than normal!

Bunyan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 09:37:07 PM »
Might struggle a bit with the roundabouts! :D

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »
 I would expect the new ground to be in the NW or SW sectors of 'Greater Boston ' ..away from Town Centre bottlenecks ..
 If there was land by the Haven that would be good  ..like Middlesboro's ..

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »
This was a hypothetical scenario, fuelled by Batemans  :xmashat
But there are advantages...

Why would you reuse a structure that is over 30 years old?

If you can't afford to buy another one, then why not recycle the one that you already have  ???

The cost to remove and install, the cost to transport, it's more viable to build a new structure.

The transport costs would be less, the installation costs would be similar, the removal costs would be less than the cost of buying brand new steel and having a load more pre-cast concrete units made up.

I am doing a project at the moment that reuses an existing structure, it very difficult, there is a cost benefit to us, but it's more a sustainability benefit than a financial one

What sort of structure are you reusing in your project?
Several years ago I worked on the Notts County ground when they were putting up a few new stands. Its a simple enough process, it seemed to take longer to fit out the all the internal areas underneath than it took to bolt the rest of it together!
Biggest problem with taking down structures like these is breaking out the insitu concrete...but there's several ways of getting around that.

The post-Hillsborough Health and Safety legislation would probably prevent such a project anyway, so it looks like York street will be flattened by the demolition contractors and sold off for scrap.  :'(

If we have enough bucket collections we might even be able to afford a new one  :dan