Author Topic: My Computer Predictions  (Read 2181 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
My Computer Predictions
« on: December 30, 2019, 12:33:11 PM »
At the start of each Prediction League thread I usually add in a link to My Computer's prediction. I notice on this week's thread yam man asks how often is my computer right. So I thought I'd tell you a bit more about them. Back in 1989 I wrote a little computer program called "Dr Fox's Football Annual" on an Atari 1040 STFM home computer. It let me keep track of football results across the leagues in England and Scotland. It also calculated league tables and produced performance statistics. I think I produced a really nice user interface on it that made it easy to enter and analyse results.

As I had all the results in it I thought it would be neat to have a go at using them to make predictions, although just for a bit of fun rather than a serious attempt at beating the bookies or winning the football pools (remember them?). I just chose a simple configurable formula that pitted the home team's form against the away team's. The formula could include results, goals scored and conceded and could go back a set number of days. So I'd calculate a number for each team, e.g. how many wins*2 + draws*1 over the last six weeks and then compare the home team against the away team and if the two numbers were about the same then it would predict a draw and if one team's number was much bigger than the other then the prediction was a win for that team. So it's not very sophisticated, it's just based on previous results with no additional information on players or management changes or the weather or anything else that effects the results of a football match, but hopefully it would give some idea of the current relative strengths of two teams. The program also produced nice graphs showing the relative league positions of the teams, the goals scored and conceded and runs the teams were on e.g. consecutive wins, games without a draw etc.

I'm still using the program. It's now Windows based on a PC. I use it on the web site to automatically produce the Next Game page each week. So on that page you get the Position, Goals and Statistics graphs along with the last six matches played by each team and their lines in the league table. It also gives the prediction of the result. The predictions aren't quite as good as I'd like them to be, but football wouldn't be so much fun if everything was predictable! It seems to get about half its predictions right. For this season here are the results of the  the 20 league games played so far along with the prediction that was made and I've put a Y or an N at the front to indicate if the prediction was correct or not:

Y Boston United  1-1 Chester   3rd August 2019 PREDICT : A Draw ( DELTA= 0 ) 
N Alfreton Town  1-1 Boston United   6th August 2019 PREDICT : Away Win ( DELTA=-50 ) 
N Boston United  1-0 Leamington  13th August 2019 PREDICT : Away Win ( DELTA=-42 ) 
Y Boston United  1-1 Guiseley  17th August 2019 PREDICT : A Draw ( DELTA=-12 ) 
N Gloucester City  3-0 Boston United  24th August 2019 PREDICT : A Draw ( DELTA=-5 ) 
Y Boston United  5-0 Altrincham  26th August 2019 PREDICT : Home Win ( DELTA= 27 ) 
Y Hereford FC  0-0 Boston United  31st August 2019 PREDICT : A Draw ( DELTA= 19 ) 
Y Kettering Town  0-2 Boston United   3rd September 2019 PREDICT : Away Win ( DELTA=-58 ) 
Y Boston United  2-1 Bradford Park Avenue   7th September 2019 PREDICT : Home Win ( DELTA= 94 ) 
N Gateshead  3-0 Boston United  14th September 2019 PREDICT : A Draw ( DELTA= 0 ) 
Y Boston United  2-0 Southport  28th September 2019 PREDICT : Home Win ( DELTA= 50 ) 
N Darlington  2-1 Boston United  12th October 2019 PREDICT : Away Win ( DELTA=-75 ) 
Y York City  2-1 Boston United  29th October 2019 PREDICT : Home Win ( DELTA= 100 ) 
N AFC Telford United  1-3 Boston United   2nd November 2019 PREDICT : Home Win ( DELTA= 50 ) 
Y Spennymoor Town  2-1 Boston United  12th November 2019 PREDICT : Home Win ( DELTA= 137 ) 
N Farsley Celtic  2-4 Boston United  16th November 2019 PREDICT : A Draw ( DELTA=-19 ) 
N Boston United  2-0 Blyth Spartans  19th November 2019 PREDICT : Away Win ( DELTA=-29 ) 
Y Kidderminster Harriers  1-3 Boston United   7th December 2019 PREDICT : Away Win ( DELTA=-135 ) 
N King's Lynn Town  1-0 Boston United  26th December 2019 PREDICT : A Draw ( DELTA= 8 ) 
Y Boston United  2-1 Kettering Town  28th December 2019 PREDICT : Home Win ( DELTA= 58 )

So 11 out of 20 correct so far, so just about respectable.

I also use it to help me with my predictions on the Sky Super Six each week and it sometimes does quite well, but not quite well enough to win the jackpot so far. It did get all the results right one week, but I only got four of the scores right - I have to use my judgement to predict the goals scored as the program doesn't do that, though it does help with the analysis as I can see how many match scores e.g. 1-1, 2-1, 0-2 etc there have been for each team and each division.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 12:51:12 PM by Ken Fox »

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
Re: My Computer Predictions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 01:36:38 PM »
Very interesting.

Oops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 04:09:01 PM »
Very impressive Ken, upto the line that says Atari 1040 STFM. After that I started the Beano crossword for a rest. Your a genius. I honestly wish I had your understanding of computers. Respect. Happy New Year Ken. 👍🏻

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 04:20:20 PM »
I'm lucky to get the correct score once in ten games, so 4 out of 6 seems pretty damn good to me. Worth some sort of a prize!

And on the subject of predictions, the two ex-player "experts" on the BBC's NFL show try to predict the results of three matches each week. At the last count they were something like 24-24 and 25-23. Which just goes to show you could just pick the shirt colour you like best and be as good as them.

Thanks for the explanation anyway, Ken.