Author Topic: R.I.P. Boston's greatest manager  (Read 5656 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Boston's greatest manager
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 01:09:44 PM »
Possibly, but Smith and Wilkinson kept the club at the top table for almost a decade, Arthur was a nice guy and always deserves to be remembered fondly but Wembley was a one off, with a series of favorable home draws to boot. If we'd had to go to Runcorn that afternoon instead of them coming to a bear pit like York St I think the outcome may have been very different.

But a good point, I know BUSA have a Hall of Fame for popular players and staff members, maybe in the new social club we ought to have a Wall of Fame with photo's of these people?

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 06:37:44 PM »
Such heartfelt  & warm tributes paid to Jim Smith, from so many across the football world. Sir Alex Ferguson saying Jim was "Legendary", he also added "talking to Jim was one of the few pleasures left in the modern game". The story Harry Rednapp told regarding when Jim was his Assistant Manager & their was a knock on his office door (it was Chris Kamara). He waited patiently & knocked & knocked thinking Harry & Jim were discussing tactics & selection. He eventually walked in & Harry was reading the Racing Post & Jim Smith was looking over his shoulder writing a bet out. Rest Easy Jim, true Gentleman.

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 06:53:41 PM »
Incredible memories....best Boston team ever.... Great times thanks Jim Smith!

Ruddingtonyellow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 08:27:02 PM »
As a young supporter I remember being disappointed to read in the Standard that a Lincoln City player was to be our new manager but what a journey Jim Smith led us on. A sad day for many of us but thanks for the memories Jim.  My other manager hero would be Don Donovan who started the rebuild of the club

Pilgrim in France

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 09:40:49 AM »
With our match called off yesterday, decided to look at some early recordings of the Dream Team TV series. To my surprise and delight the first one I played included a very eloquent Jim Smith playing himself as manager of Derby County when Hartchester bought Sturridge!