Author Topic: R.I.P. Boston's greatest manager  (Read 5672 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
R.I.P. Boston's greatest manager
« on: December 10, 2019, 06:57:21 PM »
R.I.P Jim Smith
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Boston's greatest manager
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:04:31 PM »
R.I.P Jim Smith

Before my time at Boston Mick but know how he was revered. It would be wonderful if we could win on Monday and dedicate it to Jim.  UTP

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 07:13:42 PM »
My mate was Jim's milkman.  We had a poor match and my mate put a note in his empty milk bottle.  We need a new winger,  it said.  The next day milkie went back and he found a reply. It said "  we need a new milkman, I'm moving to the co op" an old fashioned manager who was well liked.  A minutes applause before the match would go down well.

southender

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 07:54:59 PM »
I agree - Jim was our greatest manager. He laid the foundations of Boston becoming one of the biggest non league teams at that time, leading by example both on and off the pitch. He was and always will be one of my heroes. A sad day for football especially Boston United.

RIP Jim.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 09:33:20 PM »
BUFC legend. RIP Jim Smith  :'(
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 10:18:01 PM »
A cracking bloke.as well as one of our greatest players / manager. We certainly need to celebrate his achievements for us.

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 06:58:18 AM »
Sad news.

Just a thought... Watford have named a stand after Graham Taylor, Man Utd after Alex Ferguson and Nottingham Forest after Brian Clough. We'll soon have four new stands to name at The Quadrant. Could we call them different to the North, East, South and West stands? Why not name our stands after our most successful (and popular) former managers?

Can't make tonight's fans forum, maybe a, question someone else could put to the club?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 08:05:18 AM »
Sad news.

Just a thought... Watford have named a stand after Graham Taylor, Man Utd after Alex Ferguson and Nottingham Forest after Brian Clough. We'll soon have four new stands to name at The Quadrant. Could we call them different to the North, East, South and West stands? Why not name our stands after our most successful (and popular) former managers?

Can't make tonight's fans forum, maybe a, question someone else could put to the club?

It's a nice idea, but we'll probably flog the naming rights to sponsors.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 08:07:31 AM »
Sad news.

I'll be raising that point myself, as a club we could do more to honour both Jim and Howard Wilkinson. I know commercial concerns override emotion in football but in the case of these two I'm sure the club could come up with something.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 09:14:31 AM »
Sad news.

I'll be raising that point myself, as a club we could do more to honour both Jim and Howard Wilkinson. I know commercial concerns override emotion in football but in the case of these two I'm sure the club could come up with something.

Perhaps a happy compromise could be found in naming some of the new facilities we'll have after legends. I'd have thought there's little commercial value in naming the new Pilgrim Lounge after a sponsor, so why not "The Jim Smith Lounge" or similar? Same with the new hospitality banqueting suite on the upper floor, which I assume will be the new home for Club '85. That would be ripe for a tribute to an ex-player.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »
Bazza's Bar...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »
We could name the toilets after a previous manager, I wonder who that could be ??? ??? ???

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 11:44:52 AM »
Naming something after Jim Smith would be an appropriate memorial. He was the only person to have been manager of both 'my' clubs (Derby County have always been my other one), so he has a particular place in my heart. I once went to Pride Park to one of those fans' forums (I can't remember exactly what they were called) that Radio 5 Live used to have years ago. I remember that Trevor Brooking chaired it, and that Nigel Clough was one of the others on the panel. I asked Jim whether there had been any difference in trying to keep a big non-league team (BUFC) at the top of the tree in his early days as a manager and trying to keep (as he then was) DCFC in the Premier League as a more experienced manager. I can't now recall his answer, but I do remember being somewhat disappointed by the brevity of it! Anyway, he signed my copy of his autobiography, so that was good.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
I remember on TV a few years back, a camera crew followed a football manager around.  I think it was Big Ron Atkinson ( I could be wrong ).  He entered Jim Smith's office unexpectedly . Jim was seen quickly removing a bottle of whisky from his desk. As was the culture of the time, most managers (and players) liked a drink.

God bless you Jim.

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 12:50:54 PM »
Sad news.

Cheers N40. I'd also put Arthur Mann in the same bracket as Smith and Wilkinson. The achievement in reaching Wembley can't be overestimated.