Author Topic: Todays Game  (Read 11288 times)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Todays Game
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »
Nothing to appeal against. Two-footed and dangerous. If you have footage of the ones from their players that got away, that maybe be more worth it...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »
I'm having technical problems though.  If anybody knows a way of converting .MOV files to .avi, .wma or .wmv files so that I can edit them please let me know. :snowman

Your best bet is probably to go to the Apple Store and  buy a copy of Quicktime Pro. MOV is an Apple format and Quicktime Pro lets you convert MOV files to other more Windows friendly formats. There is other software for doing the conversion but it's difficult to find a free one. Quicktime is more likely to work as well.

Didn't the new camcorder have any basic editing software with it?

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »
Glad we got the 3 points as a big two fingers up to the ref but the standard of refereeing has really started to piss me off, what if crap reffing costs us promotion?

Good to see a few Lynn fans dotted around the place too.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 12:12:47 PM »
The ref absolutely ruined the game for me today. In fact I came out of the game not celebrating the win but furious with the referee, his "performance" made the result a total irrelevance.

First half we played some great football and deservedly went in 3-0 up. Second half was all about the clown in black. It was obvious for me that they came out in the second half with instructions from their manager to go in hard and dirty with the intention to take a few yellows and get some retaliation from one of ours to get them sent off as this was the only way they'd get back into the game, and did that gameplan pay off. Before Church's red there was at least 3 challenges from their players that where equally bad and deserved red.

We've had 2 shocking refs in the home game against Retford and the away at Matlock but the clown yesterday was by far the worst we've had and the worst I've ever seen in 25+ years watching. I don't usually buy into the fact it was 1 sided but yesterday every decision in the second half went their way,if a player in red went over it was a free kick regardless of whether it was a foul and our players where battered with nothing given and the one for Davidson when he was clearly fouled yet ended up with a yellow himself beggers belief.

The red incident shows the difference between the 2 teams and their intentions. Moments before one of their players went in 2 footed right in front of me and Church somehow got out of the way. The ref gave a yellow when it should clearly have been a red but our players just got on with it with no complaints. An identical challenge from Church and every player of theirs goes charging in making sure the incident is made to look much worse (as someone has already said) and Church gets sent off (rightly). Seems that to get decisions you have to appeal for everything as SPS did all day.

I'm Absolutely disgusted and am going to have a word with seeing better to get the email address to complain about the refs performance yesterday.

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 10:07:16 AM »
  Really had mixed feelings about the Stocksbridge fixture and disapointed in an official
  that looked as though he had just been promoted from 'Park Football'.

A deserved 3-0 at the break brought back the Ossett Town away game performance
  where we cruised to a resounding 5-0 win but things started to look a little different
  when SPS came out earlier than usual for the second period. And the inevitable started
  to happen when they started to mix it up and their intentions were clear for everyone
  to see apart from probably Churchy, having said that I take nothing away from the lad
  who is a very competative player, what I am disapointed in is the fact he fell into a trap
  and was punished rightly for it and without the resolute,battling qualities of the lads in
  defence the longer the prat in the middle allowed the game to continue a point was
  looking the best we would end up with.
  I would like to single out Tom Evans who has had his crtitics in the past but Saturday he
  commanded his area very well taking out crosses to relieve the pressure,very much a
  sign of a player with experience and also James Cullingworth whose goal line clearance
  was another turning point in the game but whose overall performance warrants some
  recognisition.
Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »

Right, time to add my own opinion. But where do you start after a game like that?

Firstly, a big thank you to all the volunteers who turned up on the morning of the game to help clear the pitch. A lot of credit also needs to be passed on to the club's groundstaff. When you consider the numbers of games falling foul of the weather recently and the state of pitches at places like Matlock, the York Street pitch really is something else that gives us pride in our club.

Boston were the best side in the first half, though in my view the three goal half-time lead probably flattered us. Stocksbridge created their fair share of chances in the first half but failed to convert any of them; Boston probably didn't create that many chances over and above the goals we actually scored, but crucially we were clinical in front of goal.

And then on to the second half.....

From my position Church's tackle looked like a bad challenge, and I wasn't surprised when the red card came out.But in all honesty a number of the Stocksbridge challenges in the build-up to that incident appeared equally reckless, and yet went completely unpunished. That is my main gripe with the referee.

After Church was sent off we made a number of substitutions, with Camm and Davidson being called upon. Personally I didn't think either substitute performed particularly well. Camm does not "boss" the midfield in the same way that Church does, and for me "went missing" for the remainder of the game. (I didn't see too much of Newsham or Sleath in the second half either). When Davidson came on I wanted to see him hold the ball up to help in easing the pressure on our defenders. What I saw instead was a series of flick-ons which only found Stocksbridge defenders. Davidson was the furthest man forward, so for him to continually flick the ball further forward merely conceded possession and resulted in our defence being put under more and more pressure. I understand that the managers seem to prefer "like-for-like" substitutions and Davidson generally only replaces Suarez (or vice versa). But we were reduced to ten men and effectively playing with a lone striker; Davidson's first touch sometimes lets him down and I'm not convinced he was suited to that role in that formation. Jamie Clarke would have been the better option.

Suarez has played well in a number of games and has deserved some of his man-of-the-match awards. But on Saturday Tom Evans should have won the award - absolutely no question.

Other people have intimated that they are going to write and complain about the referee's performance. Quite honestly I wouldn't bother wasting your time! A few years ago Boston played away at Hartlepool in the FA Cup. The weather was bad and all of our official supporters' coaches were held up due to there having been a number of crashes on the A1. My understanding at that time was that Boston had asked for a delayed kick-off, Hartlepool had agreed with the request but the referee on the day had insisted on a three o'clock kick off. The result was that 200+ Boston fans missed the opening 30 minutes, and that there was a surge on the Hartlepool turnstyle as soon as the coaches arrived. I felt there was a very real danger of a "crus", and after events like Hillsborough I thought the ref had acted irresponsibly in insisting the game kicked off on time. I wrote to the Football Association to tell them what I thought. My letter had absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with events on the pitch. I eventually received the response from the FA, but it was a "bog standard" automatic response talking only about referee's decisions on the field of play being final, etc, etc. They hadn't even considered the safety concerns I'd raised and quite frankly it felt like they hadn't even properly read my letter. The authorities that govern football in this country are just as much a joke as some of the officials who run out on a Saturday afternoon.

If anyone does write a letter of complaint then I'd be very interested to hear what response they get. But I'd expect they'd only receive an automated reply that quite frankly isn't worth the paper it is written on.

One of our supporters snowballed the linesman during the second half, and I'm slightly concerned that this could put our club into more trouble - particularly if the referee mentions the incident in his report.

Church will no doubt get a three game ban and that will leave us short in midfield. I'm not convinced that Camm is the answer and wonder how close to match fitness Adam Millson is? Spalding may have had a few postponements, but in my view the door is now wide open for Millson to make his return.

The managers have spoken recently about the need for some more experienced heads to guide the younger players, and I don't know what the budget situation is regarding bringing in a new face. We do however have two managers on the bench, both of whom were player-managers at Ilkeston last season and either of whom could potentially fit the bill. I understand there may be contractual issues with Ilkeston which have prevented both from so far playing for Boston, but I wonder if those issues are resolvable? If Rob Scott plays in the same spirit that he manages, then he may just be that extra bit of steel that our team needs between now and the end of the season.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »
Can't beat a good old biased 'official' report:

http://stocksbridgepsfc.com/news/details.php?news_id=874
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »
Reading the first paragraph of the report it states that one Stockbbridge player was returning from suspension and two were missing because of suspenions .  Seems their brutal performance at the Jakemans was probably a typical example of their gameplan.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »
Simon Collins must have got his half time team talk across rather sharply as Stocksbridge came on to the pitch a full 4 minutes before both the home team and the officials.

How long can it take to say "Kick 'em?"
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Seenbetter

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 11:22:23 PM »
Hello woad_pilgrim. Email address is TheFA.com and to be forwarded for the attention of Mr John Jones, Contributory Leagues Referee Appointments Officer. The reply I received to my complaint about bad refereeing is on page 15 of this forum. I do think it is worth complaining in the hope that one day someone will read it who is not afraid to own up to the licensing of referees who are clearly incompetent at the job. Apparently in 2008 the fa were seeking to licence 8000 extra refs. It is also interesting that people wanting to become referees do not need previous football experience and that there is No facility for complaints to be made about bad refereeing by anyone outside of football. Even managers are not allowed to moan about them in case they are disciplined themselves by the fa. I accused the fa of being a closed shop. They are in fact a dictatorial self protected bunch of authoritarians who care more about themselves than about the quality of management they provide by regulating and disciplining  those they appoint to game control. We are clearly entering the days when referees decide who wins a game and not the quality of the football played. That man on Saturday should not be allowed to officiate any other game until he has publicly apologised for the shocking decisions he made on that day. He was a gisgrace. Happy New Year everyone, except for that man in fancy dress from Saturdays game.