Author Topic: Atherton Collieries (FA Trophy)  (Read 14220 times)

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Atherton Collieries (FA Trophy)
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 02:17:43 PM »
The fringe players are as good as any in this league, but we need to keep in these competitions, as we are now compiling a nice pot of prize money, and its excellent for the fans morale. 
So play the strongest side possible and keep this run going.
The money will give Craig the opportunity to strengthen his side next season and also be able to hold on to his top players.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 05:17:35 PM »
I had cause to be in Atherton yesterday and, as I’d not been for several seasons, went by the Atherton Collieries ground to reacquaint myself with it.

I spoke with someone outside who told me that, although crowds are usually only around 300, the car park outside the ground gets full quite early. For those that went to Farsley last week, it looks a very similar set-up and sized car park, maybe a tad smaller.

The chap also mentioned that the residents of the neighbouring streets full of terraced houses can get a bit shirty if anyone parks next to their houses on matchday – so recommended going to the free town centre car parks if the ground car park is full when you get there.

The town centre is very close to the ground – 5 or 6 minutes walk – and is actually a much shorter walk than the drive around the one-way system in the town centre might suggest.

It is only a 7 miles journey for me yet, because of the way the local boundaries run, I start off from where I live in the Borough of Bolton, cross into the City of Salford, go back into the Borough of Bolton and then finally into the Borough of Wigan. A route I travel on very often, as I pass through Atherton on my to Wigan Warriors’ home games.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 10:15:48 PM »
I'll be there. A new ground for most of us
Can't imagine it'll be a bumper gate
Lots of ours will save the money... 60 or 70 at most

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »
8 changes from Tuesday, 6 of the usual first 11 rested and on the bench + 2 suspended which is the max Elliot could change with everyone who isn't injured or cup tied or suspended. Justified decision with cup and league matches coming up. Still a strong 11 though and big chance for likes of green to show what they can do
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 03:10:06 PM by Lee Newell »

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 04:52:30 PM »
Oh bugger, 1-0 we've failed against a lower League team - again!!! >:(

Bodge

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2019, 04:54:40 PM »
Would have been nice to have a Trophy run but I’m not too disappointed, still can see us getting a positive result next Sunday.

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
Very disappointing.....am sure the regular team would have won. Bad decision in my opinion.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 05:02:15 PM »
Very bad decision to by Craig full stop, why oh why did he make 8 changes.
We are never going to win the FA Cup, but we did have a chance of winning the Trophy.
Would he have played this team if it had been a league game, l don't think so.
The fans pay their money and deserve to see the best team play.
Craig has been outstanding this season,  but l am afraid this was a bad call today.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2019, 05:46:52 PM »
waiting for Oxo's verdict......

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2019, 06:23:06 PM »
A politician would say 3 very positive things came out of todays game:  We can concentrate on the FA Cup match without the inconvenience of a mid-week replay, Rochdale were unable to study the team they will be against and we have less games to play which aids our promotion push.

I say it's a missed opportunity to keep the momentum going.  It's what happens when you make too many changes at once.
United we stand..................

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2019, 06:32:12 PM »
Craig must have changed his mind over team selection overnight because in his BBC Radio Lincs interview last night he suggested he wouldn't change for change sake and he wanted to go as far in the FA Trophy as possible.
Well according to the commentary they were players who haven't played together much.

Poor decision Craig and had I gone to watch I would have felt short changed. Always field your strongest team no matter what the match is. Injuries can happen during training not just in matches.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2019, 07:20:15 PM »
Should've played the first 11 today and rest a few had it go e to a replay
A wasted opportunity. Nobody coming in today did themselves justice. First 11 have nothing to worry about

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »
a wasted opportunity IMO....why "rest" your best players when the "big game" is EIGHT days away?

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 08:56:12 PM »
waiting for Oxo's verdict......

Well Prof here it is. I and I am sure others who travelled to the dark side felt we were very much short changed. Craig has maintained that this competition was as important as any other so I expected a much better side than he put out. It has cost us travelling fans a lot of money supporting the team away from home (our choice I know) but we do expect to see the best possible eleven take to the field. On to the match, pretty boring to be honest but we had a few chances which we didn't take' they had a few and took one (that's it). Rest assured the first team has little to worry about from these lads. Still feeling short changed but will be there next Sunday when I still believe we have a great chance of a result.  UTP.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2019, 09:19:16 PM »
Personally I'm not too fussed about this. The number one priority this season has become cash from the FA Cup run. Additional income here will be invaluable for the months/year ahead.

League is next but realistically it was never going to be a big push for promotion season. The new ground won't be finished, we need to build gradually and it needs to be sustainable. Play offs at best.

FA Trophy is never going to be a big money spinner unless you get towards the end of the competition. That's why I went fishing today.  CE was never going to put his best 11 out.

If Craig had played some of the key players today and they had got injured or sent off then he'd be in for plenty of stick from everyone.

Of course it's nice to win every game but we're still competing in the two most important competitions that we enter. It's not like previous years when this could have meant that we have nothing left to play for.

TEP