Author Topic: Atherton Collieries (FA Trophy)  (Read 14217 times)

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
Atherton Collieries (FA Trophy)
« on: November 11, 2019, 01:56:35 PM »
So we're off to the Borough of Wigan!!

A nice easy to get to away game for me  - infact, at  just  under 7 miles away, it will probably be my 4th closest away game in the 40 years since I left Boston (after Salford City; Radcliffe Borough and Bury and moving FC Utd of Manchester and Leigh RMI further down the list in the order of my nearby away grounds).

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Atherton Collieries (FA Trophy)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 02:04:04 PM »
I wasn't too sure where it was. Their website has nice directions:

http://athertoncollieries.co.uk/location/

Skuna Stadium
Alder Street
Atherton
Manchester
M46 9EY

As the street sign says, Atherton is in Wigan which was a North West in Bloom finalist in 2006 and 2007. Lovely.

Easily accessible on the train and bus from Manchester.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »
Maybe an argument to rest 10 of the first 11 like we did in lincs cup v grantham last week. Focus on the cup and league?  With the cup run and postponed matches we've got to play several extra midweek league matches, so a busy schedule. Got a big squad of 22 first team players so may as well use them, nearly all of which are decent at this level which is unusual for us to have as in previous seasons we've had smaller squads and struggled to fill the subs bench when having a player or 2 out injured.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 02:30:11 PM by Lee Newell »

Stannington Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 02:20:33 PM »
Short trip for Whittle and Knowles to cut down on their travelling time especially with the number of midweek home games coming up.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 03:08:21 PM »
Seven hours of travelling in total for me. No chance !!

TEP

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 03:20:22 PM »
Maybe an argument to rest 10 of the first 11 like we did in lincs cup v grantham last week.

No, this is a competition we can win, or at least go very far in. I'd accept a few changes, but not 10 or 11.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 03:33:32 PM »
They are in the NPL so only 1 division below us and have already beaten both Scarborough and Morpeth in the Trophy, both from NPL.  No push-over!  Be warned!
United we stand..................

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
They are in the NPL so only 1 division below us and have already beaten both Scarborough and Morpeth in the Trophy, both from NPL.  No push-over!  Be warned!

https://www.flashscore.co.uk/football/england/npl-premier-division/standings/

P W D L Goals Pts
Atherton 13 3 2 8 16:28 11

Currently third-bottom (though with games in hand on a few teams) - it does have the look of a potential banana-skin.

Whatever team Craig selects just need to go there with the same attitude as shown at the four FA Cup ties this season, and try not to be distracted by the FA Cup match coming up the following week - as hard as that might be.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »
Maybe an argument to rest 10 of the first 11 like we did in lincs cup v grantham last week.

No, this is a competition we can win, or at least go very far in. I'd accept a few changes, but not 10 or 11.

100% agree with you on this one! Any club from step 1-3 who really wants to win this Trophy will usually have a really good run in it. So many step 1-3 clubs will field "fringe" players in this competition as it is a "distraction" to them.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »
I believe money is given to winners of each round,  just like Fa cup.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 09:13:46 PM »
3750 quid for the winners of this game, so worth it.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »
Deduct traveling expences and put all winnings in a pot for the squad, I certainly think we should be going for this a great chance of going very far this year (and I don't mean bloody away trips).

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 11:35:35 AM »

In any of our past recent seasons I'd agree but we're not normally still in the cup at this time of the year and playing catch up the league with games in hand.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »

In any of our past recent seasons I'd agree but we're not normally still in the cup at this time of the year and playing catch up the league with games in hand.

It's a nice "problem" to have!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 11:56:46 AM »
Absolutely agree we shouldn't be fielding "fringe" players in this game. It's an important competition for us and winning is a good habit to get into. And they will be no pushovers either.