Author Topic: Bury  (Read 6080 times)

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Bury
« on: August 16, 2019, 04:36:57 PM »
Spot of bother up at Gigg Lane if you guys have been following this story.

Their owner went on Talksport for an absolute car crash of an interview today https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1162330968604237824

Unfortunately very reminiscent of the last days of Chester City. An absolute charlatan of an owner putting out ridiculous statements on the club's website and typing IN ALL CAPS like professional owners do. 5 games already postponed and looking very bleak indeed. If they're expelled which they will be if the EFL stick to their deadline then that will be liquidation at this stage of the season. I'm not sure why the owner is still hanging around, there's no shady potential property deals like they were planning at Hereford so I think the bloke is just a nutter.

Luckily for us our bad apple owner knew when it was time to bugger off when some genuine people came knocking.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bury
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 11:08:42 PM »
Owner Steve Dale has told BBC Radio Manchester he has agreed a deal to sell Bury, as a deadline for their possible expulsion from the EFL approaches.
Dale says the League One club has been sold to football analytics company C&N Sporting Risk, headed by Henry Newman and Rory Campbell.
Bury have been given until 23:59 BST to prove it can pay off creditors and has funding to complete the season.
United we stand..................

Bodge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 07:57:11 AM »
Gone, how lucky we are to have the Chestnuts. Listening in it seems the finances were similar to BUFC’s with debts turning up all over the place when someone started to look at things more closely. Where they will surface in the pyramid we will have to see next year.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 08:09:17 AM »
Bury and Bolton will soon be found in Vanarama North.
United we stand..................

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 08:10:21 AM »
Gone, how lucky we are to have the Chestnuts. Listening in it seems the finances were similar to BUFC’s with debts turning up all over the place when someone started to look at things more closely. Where they will surface in the pyramid we will have to see next year.

AFC Bury - like Wimbledon, Telford etc.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 08:33:41 AM »

There'll certainly be a phoenix club so that's another season we'll be stranded by a big spending ex-league club zooming past us to get back to being bankrupt again, joy!

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 09:11:40 AM »
Certainly a moment to remember how lucky we are to have David Newton as Chairman.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 09:34:59 AM »

There'll certainly be a phoenix club so that's another season we'll be stranded by a big spending ex-league club zooming past us to get back to being bankrupt again, joy!

Quite right Pete and that is the thing that irks with me. It is awful these things happen but as we know if a club has success ( Bury Promoted) the fans are on the crest of a wave and owners are not questioned so do what they want. If fans organisations do question them they are bullied and treated disgracefully as I know from personal experience. Bury fans will be devastated  and I really feel for them, however as you say those that care will invent a new club that will be accommodated somewhere in the pyramid because they have history and will be sustained by non league clubs doing the right things.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 10:05:37 AM »
Do not get me going about Wimbledon.  They sell their soul for a few bob, then are instrumental in the demise of Wimbledon stock car/ greyhound stadium.  Merton council and Boris ( then mayor) steamrolled planning through for housing that included a stadium for Wimblekeynesdon or whatever they call themselves.  Three plans were submitted two of which included the very profitable Stock car and greyhound stadium ( the last in London ).  They chose the third, so they could bring back the football club and site it on the Stock car stadium.  Local residents raised a 500,000+ petition to keep the Stock car stadium, but to no avail.

They sold their Plough lane stadium, pocketed the money and moved.  AFC Wimbledon were formed from the ensuing car crash.  I was told certain directors involved with the original club are now part of the reformed club.  I have also been told they had full funding for the stadium via various grants etc. Save Wimbledon Stadium facebook page makes very interesting reading.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 11:21:24 AM »

Quite right Pete and that is the thing that irks with me. It is awful these things happen but as we know if a club has success ( Bury Promoted) the fans are on the crest of a wave and owners are not questioned so do what they want. If fans organisations do question them they are bullied and treated disgracefully as I know from personal experience. Bury fans will be devastated  and I really feel for them, however as you say those that care will invent a new club that will be accommodated somewhere in the pyramid because they have history and will be sustained by non league clubs doing the right things.

Exactly right Mel and I know you and other members of the Trust were bullied and hassled not just by the club itself, but by other fans who would rather stick their heads in the hand than ask how the club was being sustained. You may recall I was even threatened with legal action by Jon Sotnick!

At the moment our chairman is a professional, sensible and honourable man. This may not always be the case - we don't know who will be sniffing about when the time comes for him to pass the club on. We should always be vigilant, and we should always be supportive of people who ask awkward/difficult questions about how the club is funded. They're not troublemakers or sh*t-stirrers - often, they're the people who care the most, and will stick around long after the club's loyal servants have buggered off after it hits the fan.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »

Exactly right Mel and I know you and other members of the Trust were bullied and hassled not just by the club itself, but by other fans who would rather stick their heads in the hand than ask how the club was being sustained. You may recall I was even threatened with legal action by Jon Sotnick!

At the moment our chairman is a professional, sensible and honourable man. This may not always be the case - we don't know who will be sniffing about when the time comes for him to pass the club on. We should always be vigilant, and we should always be supportive of people who ask awkward/difficult questions about how the club is funded. They're not troublemakers or sh*t-stirrers - often, they're the people who care the most, and will stick around long after the club's loyal servants have buggered off after it hits the fan.

Bloody hell Pete, I have found myself agreeing with you yet again. I'm going for a lie down ;)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »
Regarding Bury, (and Bolton who are on a cliff edge), sadly there will be many other FL & non league clubs who suffer the same fate. We have already seen it with Ferriby. Yes it's gross mismanagement of spending & a Massive problem at all levels is the obscene hike in players wages. I also think that within the pyramid; parachute payments should be scrapped. Why should relegated overspending, over budget teams, be financed by the League the following season to meet their previous seasons failed excessive budget??  This gives relegated teams a totally unfair advantage over the clubs in the League they are demoted to. It also forces those clubs to spend excessively aswell to try & compete with them. Look at York city getting over £600,000 in parachute payments for their season in the Conference & first season in CN. If the League done away with this nonsense maybe it would help stabilise spending below the premier league & stop rewarding failure, & mismanagement of wages & playing budgets.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 05:29:25 PM »
One down

Bolton next please .

Both have rendered the league a shambles
Both have been given overly generous extensions

If both aren't in the conference North or lower next season the efl have much to answer for. They cannot carry on having such basket cases in the league

Hopefully the efl tighten up their fit and proper persons test and it serves as a stark reminder to the other 50 or 60 clubs who are running at a loss in the efl that they'll be next unless they curb their spending

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 11:44:18 PM »
Reading in the Guardian this morning a list of those former league clubs that have disappeared over recent years brought home the fact that, but for the grace of the Chestnuts, we could well have been included in that list. I hope all BUFC supporters realise how fortunate we have been with our owners, and how grateful we should be to them. Pete B is quite right to refer to the struggles we had trying to get a viable trust into existence in the dark days. My experience then was that too many supporters did not want to know of (or acknowledge) the problems. I hope we are never in Bury's position.

PS On a slightly lighter note, I should add that the only time I ever asked to be absent from a parents' evening in my 32 years of teaching at a school in Leicester was the night of the trust launch in the Assembly Rooms - and the sympathetic Head (a Bristol City supporter) allowed me to go! I paid for it by having to make quite a few phone calls to parents over the next few days.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »
That was a while ago David!  25th November 2005 to be precise - I don't remember the date of the meeting, I just recall that we were setting things up when the news of George Best's death broke and we started the meeting with a fitting tribute.   

The issue of clubs getting into difficulty should be addressed by the respective leagues.  One start would be the mandation of an independent account for each club to deposit the relevant taxation payments into on a monthly basis.  Most of those in trouble seem to use HMRC as an unauthorised overdraft facility.

I would not wish total demise on any club.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:02:07 AM by Ferret »