Author Topic: Leamington (H)  (Read 12714 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Leamington (H)
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 09:38:20 AM »
How I saw it, but could be wrong it happened so quick.

The No 2 tackled Jay illegally (not the first time on the night) a bit of a tussle on the ground with No 2 holding Jay down. The linesman did not flag.

Jay got up and was confronted by their No 7 who  ran a long way to get involved.  Both players were in each others face, Jay pushed his head aggressively into the No 7's face ( did not headbutt ).  My definition of an headbutt is when someone pulls their head back to get more purchase (Glasgow kiss).  What Jay did was still wrong and merited a sending off.  The linesman then started flagging.

I think the No 2 was sent off for the tackle, unless someone can remember something else.  Anyone know why Thewlis was sent off?  Someone next to me said they saw him being aggressive, but did not know what led up to it.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 10:28:37 AM »
Well, the video is now up and it largely corroborates what we all thought.

Rollins is tackled by English and hauled to the ground (yellow for English would have sufficed here I think).

Then all the pushing starts.

Rollins and Murphy (their number 7) stick their heads together and receive deserved red cards. I know they're not really "headbutts" in the traditional 'Skeggy on a Friday night' sense, but we all know refs give straight reds for them so it was easily avoided by both players. Daft.

Thewlis then runs in and it's unclear what he did to deserve his red. If you watch the video closely there seems to be a raising of arms with a Leamington player, but nothing obvious - and the officials surely couldn't have seen it at the time? Unclear on that. If I were Elliott I'd probably appeal this one.

I think English was unlucky to be sent off. He says the ref told him it was for a headbutt too. I can't see one, so I think he'd have good grounds to appeal that one too.

It's not really as bad on the video as it seemed on the night. Mostly pushing and shoving, with just the two clear cut dismissals.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 11:47:04 AM »
Having watched the video a number of times it looks as if our No.11 Thewliss was trying to calm their No.11 who was acting aggressively.  Could there have been miscommunication between linesman and referee resulting in the wrong No.11 being sent off?   
United we stand..................

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 12:41:31 PM »
I thought we got a soft penalty, and after watching the replay I stand by my view.  I will have to remember this when we get turned down for a "stonewaller" ;D ;D

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2019, 01:13:19 PM »
A few moment's juvenile behaviour from too many players marred an otherwise good night and a good contest between two decent sides. We look good at the back and front, although it's dispiriting that we've only got one goal from open play in the two games I've seen (Alfreton and Leamington) as our forward line is in a different class from last season (Knowles looked good on Tuesday). If only Platt can get some help to stiffen the midfield, I'd be even more encouraged. I confess that Abbott had his best game I've seen for a long time (particularly for most of the first half). I, too, thought it was a soft penalty.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2019, 01:38:48 PM »
Their number 6 came charging in with a fist towards Thewlis
Didn't see Thewlis do anything although it was a mangle of limbs
Not sure why their number two was sent off as the tackle itself wasn't a red and he didn't seem to nut anyone
Both 7s probably deserved reds despite no actual headbutts going in

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2019, 02:45:02 PM »
Not sure why their number two was sent off as the tackle itself wasn't a red and he didn't seem to nut anyone

Yeah, English was a yellow for the drag back - if that. His protestations of innocence on twitter are entirely justified!

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2019, 02:45:58 PM »
The tackle happened in front of me.  He went through Jay, then held him down when he tried to get up.

Yep, he did.

But Jay didn't need to get up and headbutt him. Stupidity.

But he didn't get up and headbutt him, He got up and ran away but was confronted by another of their players and they took up the usual pose of head to head. Not excusing anything they were all like a bunch of school girls.
Jay did throw his head into the other players face after they had the coming together with their silly head pushing game.
It happend in front of me and we all said that's him off then.
Jay went back for more after they had been parted, so he had to go, sorry but that's the truth.

Fair enough, they were all bloody pathetic and deserve what they get.
I agree mate, absolutely no need for it.
TBH honest l was shocked that Jay reacted in that way, l have never seen him like that.
Just a quick question, are they both banned for the Guiseley game, or do they get  a games grace before the ban kicks in.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »

Yeah, English was a yellow for the drag back - if that. His protestations of innocence on twitter are entirely justified!
Hadn't he been booked earlier though.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »
Having watched the video a number of times it looks as if our No.11 Thewliss was trying to calm their No.11 who was acting aggressively.  Could there have been miscommunication between linesman and referee resulting in the wrong No.11 being sent off?
I agree with you after watching the video,  he didn't do anything that is deemed as aggressive, l think the club should appeal that one, it's not even a yellow, if it is then all of them should have got one.
Jay though can't argue with is.
"I don't believe you""

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2019, 07:09:06 PM »
Just a quick question, are they both banned for the Guiseley game, or do they get  a games grace before the ban kicks in.

No, suspensions start on the 8th day after the offence.

Hadn't he been booked earlier though.

Nope.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2019, 08:40:25 PM »
Video shows,
No2 English sent off for violent conduct, neck high tackle and dragged to floor.
Therefore Not sure how some are saying it should off been Yellow card?

No7 clearly throws his head towards Jay before they separate, Jay unlucky as his head never moves forward towards opponent, but he should of walked away I suppose.

No 11 Thewlis grabbed an opponents face at the end of fracas right in front of referee.

No6 very lucky as he ran in and threw a uppercut to Jordan.

I though referee did well all night, cannot be easy with players throwing themselves to the floor screaming and managers screaming for free kick at every tackle or header. We will get worse than him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVD27crYKXY
No2 caused a brawl last season also with a high arm. around 2.37 on clip
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:47:06 PM by garry@ »

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2019, 09:25:17 AM »
I thought we got a soft penalty, and after watching the replay I stand by my view.  I will have to remember this when we get turned down for a "stonewaller" ;D ;D

Like the one about 5 minutes later..........

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »
Video shows,
No2 English sent off for violent conduct, neck high tackle and dragged to floor.
Therefore Not sure how some are saying it should off been Yellow card?

No7 clearly throws his head towards Jay before they separate, Jay unlucky as his head never moves forward towards opponent, but he should of walked away I suppose.

No 11 Thewlis grabbed an opponents face at the end of fracas right in front of referee.

No6 very lucky as he ran in and threw a uppercut to Jordan.

I though referee did well all night, cannot be easy with players throwing themselves to the floor screaming and managers screaming for free kick at every tackle or header. We will get worse than him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVD27crYKXY
No2 caused a brawl last season also with a high arm. around 2.37 on clip

I saw Jay move his head towards their number 7 with my own eyes on the night. Definite red, I said so the instant it happened.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 02:38:08 PM »

Like the one about 5 minutes later..........

The handball or the foul, two I thought were more of a penalty than the one we got.