Author Topic: York Street Memories - Floodlights  (Read 3021 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
York Street Memories - Floodlights
« on: August 06, 2019, 10:42:02 PM »
For my pieces in this season's match programmes I'm planning on covering different aspects of our time at York Street / Shodfriars Lane. My first one covered all the near misses where football almost came to an end there. The next one coincides with our only currently scheduled evening kick off - next week's match against Leamington. So I was thinking it would be appropriate to do one on the York Street floodlights. So what memories have you got of floodlit games at York Street. Anyone here who went to the first one against Corby in 1955? It was before the first Football League and FA Cup floodlit games - so Boston were pioneers of floodlit football. Or how about Eastern Professional Floodlit Cup games in the 60s and 70s. Or any other special games. Or even daylit matches such as the FA Cup game against Portsmouth - where I've seen a photo of fans hanging off the floodligh pylons to get a decent view in the packed ground.

Boston forever

• View Profile
Re: York Street Memories - Floodlights
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 10:40:13 PM »
Becky Thompson- do you have some old pics?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 01:56:18 PM »
Perhaps contact the Boston Standard.  I remember an iconic picture of fans perched on the stanction  for either the Derby or Portsmouth match.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 02:46:50 PM »
Becky has posted the photo on another thread, I recognise some faces, some no longer with us :( :(
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »
Brilliant article Ken. Some great memories

Devon Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 08:14:43 PM »
Yes Ken I was there an excited 14 year old for the 1955 unveiling of the floodlights, along with OVER 9,000 others ! Great team then with "Dusty" Miller, the Hazledine brothers, Ray Wilkins, Tommy Lowder and J. Birkbeck to mention a few! Oh and we beat Derby County at the Baseball Ground 6-1 in the FA Cup second round that season, by the way!!! Happy memories of York Street !!