Author Topic: Taken for a mug  (Read 12300 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Taken for a mug
« on: July 20, 2019, 02:44:23 PM »
When are the league going to take action against Spennymore.  Our match officially to be rearranged yet again.  >:( >:( >:(
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

mdfman

• View Profile
Re: Taken for a mug
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 03:14:30 PM »
Well they are laying a new pitch and drainage so hopefully and end to their problems after this is done.
We may well be in a similar situation this time next season  , who knows whats going to happen , so I think we need to show a little understanding.They have done well to raise the money to do this as it isn't cheap , and fundraising takes time as we all know.

Bodge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 03:59:17 PM »
If they spent less on their inflated playing budget there would be money to have done the pitch a couple of seasons ago

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 04:32:44 PM »
How long does it take to relay a pitch?  Boston have on several occasions, including drainage, done it post season.  They have always been ready for the start of the season.  This will be the 3rd time in three seasons they have done this to us.  They know that any team would rather have a trip up north on a Saturday, than a cold Tuesday night with work etc.  Once is unfortunate, twice you smell a rat, thrice is downright cheating.

Sorry but they should be fined or docked points for consistent bending of the rules.

mdfman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »
They are not deliberately cancelling Saturday fixtures so they can be played on Tuesday nights. Many people on here point out how much revenue Boston lose when a home game gets moved to a Tuesday and it's the same for Spennymoor. There is no conspiracy . They are just another non-league side trying to do the best they can with what they have got , sometimes they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong. They are not trying to cheat and people should remember our own history of poor behaviour. I know they annoyed us by cancelling a Saturday fixture a couple of seasons ago with bus issues but it's time to let it go and move on.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 05:25:52 PM »
They are not deliberately cancelling Saturday fixtures so they can be played on Tuesday nights. Many people on here point out how much revenue Boston lose when a home game gets moved to a Tuesday and it's the same for Spennymoor. There is no conspiracy . They are just another non-league side trying to do the best they can with what they have got , sometimes they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong. They are not trying to cheat and people should remember our own history of poor behaviour. I know they annoyed us by cancelling a Saturday fixture a couple of seasons ago with bus issues but it's time to let it go and move on.
I am sorry but l do not agree, it does give them an advantage because our players have to make the trip and play after they have finished work etc.
What about our fans also who travel away there, some of them won't be able to make the trip, so we also have reduced support.
Why have they not been kicked out of the league for not having their pitch  and facilities up to standard by the start of the season.
They have had years to sort this out before now, and yes you can re-lay and drain a pitch in a matter of a 2/3 weeks.
I agree with Dip they have had the funds and wasted it on there playing budget instead.
Shaun Tuton has seen the light and come to us, a proper club.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »
For my money, game has to go ahead on the date specified. Its not fair if we have to play an extra away midweek game compared to the rest of the league playing Saturdays, and it'll make the league imbalanced in terms of matches played if the game is postponed. Two options:

(1) Play the game at Boston, and then switch the reverse fixture later in the year,

(2) Play it on a neutral venue, like we did at Harrogate a couple of seasons ago.

It does frustrate me that it's always Spennymoor that seem to have these issues and I do think the league ought to look into it. At the same time football seemed to be played on a lot worse pitches in the past (anyone remember Welling Uniteds mud bath pitch in the Trophy and Kendal Town a few seasons ago? ). Nowadays it seems games sometimes get called off if the pitch isn't like a bowling green. Not quite sure when/why it changed.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 06:09:58 PM »
For my money, game has to go ahead on the date specified. Its not fair if we have to play an extra away midweek game compared to the rest of the league playing Saturdays, and it'll make the league imbalanced in terms of matches played if the game is postponed. Two options:

(1) Play the game at Boston, and then switch the reverse fixture later in the year,

(2) Play it on a neutral venue, like we did at Harrogate a couple of seasons ago.

It does frustrate me that it's always Spennymoor that seem to have these issues and I do think the league ought to look into it. At the same time football seemed to be played on a lot worse pitches in the past (anyone remember Welling Uniteds mud bath pitch in the Trophy and Kendal Town a few seasons ago? ). Nowadays it seems games sometimes get called off if the pitch isn't like a bowling green. Not quite sure when/why it changed.

The bowling green pitch, could be down to stricter insurance clauses.  Reverse the fixtures sounds the common sense option, but when has common sense been used.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 09:22:54 PM »
Many people on here point out how much revenue Boston lose when a home game gets moved to a Tuesday and it's the same for Spennymoor.

That's not the point. The benefit they get is part-time players travelling for hours on a coach on a midweek, potentially after working a shift, rather than a Saturday.

I'm not sure the backers of Spennymoor give a shit about the couple of grand they probably lose out on.

IMO the game goes ahead. It's up to Spennymoor to find a suitable venue.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Oops

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 11:14:20 PM »
I know 2 wrongs don’t make a right but what would happen if our players coach broke down en route to Spennytoomuch. Would the useless FA be so understanding.

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 10:51:31 AM »
I know 2 wrongs don’t make a right but what would happen if our players coach broke down en route to Spennytoomuch. Would the useless FA be so understanding.

Wouldn't make a h'pennyworth of difference we would still have to play the game on a mid-week night.

brummie exile 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 09:22:08 PM »
How about this. Spennymoor will offer Craig various midweek dates that suit them. Craig says "NO thank you". In recent seasons there has always been a Saturday in Nov/Dec when we have no game because we've messed up a cup tie. Correct? If, by chance, Spennymoor have a similar gap in their fixtures, Bingo! If not, string them along to the end of the season.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 06:52:52 AM »
If postponed, I believe league rules state it has to be rearranged within six weeks. That then means midweek. That's why we'd be better off all round swapping the fixtures or playing at a neutral venue.

Spennymoor claim they asked the league to give them away fixtures only for the opening weeks and they're blaming the league for the mess. I have my doubts. This is the same Spennymoor which announced they wanted to sell cut price tickets for their play off against Chorley last season but that Chorley turned them down. Turned out, league rules prevented clubs from reducing prices in play offs, and Spennymoor were making a scapegoat out of Chorley. Chorley then issued a statement clarifying the rules. Can we believe anything Spennymoor say?

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 09:15:46 AM »
Spennymoor have confirmed their home game on Tuesday 6th August against Blyth has now been moved to a midweek fixture in September. No decision has yet been made in respect of the Boston match. Spennymoor are awaiting the advice of an agronomist :)

https://spennymoortownfc.co.uk/2019/07/27/blyth-game-gets-new-date/

TEP

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 10:35:52 AM »
I can't see how 4 days will make a difference
Suspect it'll be quite a last minute thing. We're less than 2 weeks from the date of the game now
They have to get agreement from Boston and the league
Hopefully we have the balls to say switch the fixture as opposed to going there in midweek