Author Topic: Victory against Grimsby  (Read 6548 times)

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Victory against Grimsby
« on: July 11, 2019, 09:37:27 PM »
Won 2-1. Superb strike by trialist apparently. Anyone knows who it was??

steve m

• View Profile
Re: Victory against Grimsby
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 09:49:45 PM »
Jordan Thewlis looks like a top signing....

Batistuta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 09:58:57 PM »
Is it just me that gets the impression we have some technically proficient players all over the pitch, athleticism and that they're gonna be horrible to play against? Some of the tackles were meaty to say the least

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:05:40 PM »

Karl Byrne according to the internet.

Oops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 10:31:04 PM »
Entertaining game and the players looked hungry for the ball. Noticed that in the first eleven players 9 of them had beards, looked very similar. Just coincidence or a cunning plan of Craig to confuse the ref. Thought the ref would fit in well at our level of football, bloody ridiculous at times. They are all trained in the art of laughing and smiling instead of knowing what a foul is. I think VAR means Very Awful Ref. Had to have a go at him, starting the season as I mean to go on.
Well done to the players, well nearly all, well except one, for tonight’s performance. Looking promising.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 10:56:15 PM »

Karl Byrne according to the internet.

He tweeted about it himself, too. Nephew of footballers Alan and Stephen Quinn.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 11:23:33 PM »
Well based on this performance, clear we will win the league or at very worst be in play-offs. Funny how I say this every year. LOL. Now down to reality:

1. Crook - looks a class act and distributes ball very well with hands and feet but no meaningful save to make.
2. Middleton - looked assured and only one lash-out at an opponent
3. Jackson - some excellent wing back play and looks fit as a butcher's dog
4. Thanoj - OK
5. Ainge - looks hard as nails, competitive and knowledgeable at the back
6. Shiels - also looks solid at back
7. Platt - OK
8. Abbott - a little rusty but OK
9. Knowles - very impressive: is going to be Allott + some
10. Thewliss - picked up where he left off for Boston. A bundle of trouble for defenders, quick, hungry, changes direction on a sixpence and a superb top corner penno
11. Looked less than fully fit, then pulled up injured
12. Green - full of guile and his passing showed he has played at many levels higher
14. Wafula - lacking in confidence on the ball, just like last season
16. Whittle - OK
17. Trialist -OK but superb 30 yard goal redeemed a mediocre performance at the back
18. Trialist OK I suppose but not a clear step up in quality from last season's problems
No number trialist. -clearly overweight (Parkin +) and slow; but good positional sense as a central defender and clever interceptions and passing out - undecided
20. Willis- OK but his ball distribution by foot and hand look clearly inferior to Crook so I doubt he'll keep top slot

Would be interested in other's views (only if you were there) and there were 700 or so home fans

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 02:11:13 AM »
Couldn't get to the game due to some family problems.
Nice to hear it went well, and a victory is a bonus.
Be at Worksop on Monday night, so hopefully will see some of you there.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 07:17:08 AM »
Prof. Glad you were impressed with Knowles, considering he never played  ;D. Clare, the chap on loan from Bradford last season was our number 9.

Agree with most of your observations. Middleton - really hope he can control his temper this season. A few glimpses last night suggest not.

Really impressed with the quality of the playing surface.

TEP

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »
Prof wasn't our Number 11 Jay Rollins? how could you not mention his name when you mentioned lots of the new boys!!!   Agree with you about Crooks, he looked
really assured, and if he had still been in goal I don't think they would've scored.   All in all from last nights performance the future looks good - I hope!!!

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 11:31:05 AM »
just tired and forgot to type Jay Rollins. I agree Ernie on the first half performance + George Green, it's looking promising.

Oops

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 11:31:25 AM »
Last season Rollins was still getting over his injury but last night he looked back to his normal self. I think Middleton got  frustrated with their players, one in particular, not being penalised by the ref for their fouls. I know it’s no excuse but that’s the refs fault for not doing his job.
The big guy with no number looked as though he was in control of things, I imagine his speed would let him down though.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 11:52:00 AM »
Rollins went off with cramp.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »
All goals now on you tube.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 09:10:20 AM »
I was impressed. I try not to come back from the first pre-season game thinking we can conquer the world, but I thought we played with purpose and as a unit, and whilst world domination may be some way off, I thought we played much better than we did at many home games last season. if we could play like that at home and maintain our decent away form, then the playoffs should be a achievable. Thewlis looks a class act particularly, and I thought Crook looked very decent too, but there were many others that put in a pretty decent first showing.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684