Author Topic: Pies, ham pies and chip sticks  (Read 3041 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Pies, ham pies and chip sticks
« on: July 15, 2019, 12:39:10 PM »
Having volunteered to do a set of articles in the upcoming season's match programmes on the history of York Street, I thought it would be nice to do one on the food and drink that has been sold on matchdays over the years. However, it's not the sort of thing that's mentioned in my usual sources of information, so I need your help. So are any of you regular match day consumers from the York Street Snack Bars or the Pilgrim Lounge / Vice President's Lounge / Boardroom? Any favourite delicacies? Any things you miss from past seasons? Any idea how long they've even been doing snacks? Was it just tea or bovril? How far back can I go with this?!

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pies, ham pies and chip sticks
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »
Ken. I do remember being served a cup of tea from the York St by Craig Douglas in the early 60's.
He was star turn that night at the newly re-furbed Glider and got to Boston early and went to watch
the match. He was a pretty big star in those days and ended up being recognised and went to help
out in the snack bar. Cant imagine the current so called stars doing that!!

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »
Remember when they used to have a temporary outside BBQ/grill on the Town End when it got busy with away fans? I remember the smoke drifting across the terrace!

When I first started going in the early 90s I don't even think they did hot food other than Pot Noodles in the Main Stand. I think it pretty much stayed like that until the early 2000s when we got promoted and they upgraded the snack bars.

On an unrelated note, I also remember the days when they used to have cars driving round the pitch at half-time. Can't imagine Dan Milgate would tolerate such a thing today....

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 11:42:25 AM »
For years the only hot food was pies, pasties and sausage rolls, although in the 90's they made the bold move to mushy peas and mint sauce.

In the interests of absolute fairness it should be noted it was the arrival of a fat Scottish tw@t that saw the club finally move towards burgers and hot dogs, I'm not saying any more..........

XYU

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
I remember the shock and disgust of many when we went up to the football league we were no longer to be trusted with plastic bottle tops when buying a bottle from the snack bar. Thankfully now we're back in the Non League wastelands they don't seem to mind all the disgraceful bottle-top related incidents that occur every game. 

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 01:31:19 PM »
I remember the shock and disgust of many when we went up to the football league we were no longer to be trusted with plastic bottle tops when buying a bottle from the snack bar. Thankfully now we're back in the Non League wastelands they don't seem to mind all the disgraceful bottle-top related incidents that occur every game.
Yes it's a sorry sight seeing me struggle to get the top off then showering myself in a fizzy beverage lol.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 01:51:12 PM »
Bovril was the best h-t cuppa in the 80's, especially if white with two sugars, and the sausage rolls were best avoided until at least the end of August in case they were previous season left-overs!
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

aggy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 05:00:57 PM »
 Early 80s Adam's pasties were a deliciously formative influence on my waistline.

TattershallPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 04:31:46 PM »
The chips and curry sauce we have had over last few seasons is unbelievably good.

As a kid (football league days) I always went for Pot Noodle and a Yorkie bar.
Now i go for Cheeseburger or Chips with curry sauce.