Author Topic: Money Raising  (Read 11616 times)

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Money Raising
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 12:14:43 PM »
A lot of clubs take something iconic from their old ground, to be erected at the new.  Why should we forget about our old ground with all it's memories.

I agree, move on, but lets not forget something that has been part of our Saturdays for many a year, in my case 51 years.

Perhaps the floodlights are not for moving, anyone have any ideas what could be moved to the new ground?

Arsenal moved the clock and Spurs moved the Cockerel.  What would we move?

As you know Mick (you have donated) i am still running the jam jar collection which is for the benefit of the fans at the new ground, it will also be for the fans who have chipped in to suggest and decide what it will be spent on. At present it stands just over 3000 pounds. Perhaps this thread could inspire some ideas.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 01:39:42 PM »
A lot of clubs take something iconic from their old ground, to be erected at the new.  Why should we forget about our old ground with all it's memories.

I agree, move on, but lets not forget something that has been part of our Saturdays for many a year, in my case 51 years.

Perhaps the floodlights are not for moving, anyone have any ideas what could be moved to the new ground?

As you know Mick (you have donated) i am still running the jam jar collection which is for the benefit of the fans at the new ground, it will also be for the fans who have chipped in to suggest and decide what it will be spent on. At present it stands just over 3000 pounds. Perhaps this thread could inspire some ideas.

I've said all along a clock on one of the stands, or an electronic scoreboard would really benefit what looks like a very bland new ground.

But as I've not donated Mel I don't expect you to consider my opinions!!!!!!!

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 02:22:46 PM »

Just my opinion Mel, but could we not have a secure display type cabinet.  Situate it in our new club house, and display all things concerning United and it's history.  I did notice in the board room cuttings concerning our unbeaten run, this is history that non supporters realise.  It could be a kind of miniature and concise history of our great club.  It could be nice and long and wall mounted.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 02:53:28 PM »
Perhaps fans could contribute to the cabinet.  Not worth a lot but I think I have a scarf from 1985 Wembley cup final.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 02:56:25 PM »
A picture of the old stadium and a wall of legends. This on the concourse could look spectacular. I would also like us to play the final season at YS in an old club strip, maybe the quarter one. Can’t find any pictures, over to you Ken.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 03:00:03 PM »
Perhaps fans could contribute to the cabinet.  Not worth a lot but I think I have a scarf from 1985 Wembley cup final.
Looks like they are planning something anyway.

Apologies for the delay in responding to your email. Things have been very busy….and have just escaped for a bit of a break.

It is a great idea. We were thinking of an area in the new stadium covering the history/fans of the club, and that would fit in nicely.

I’m sure Chris would be willing to help with it, and I will discuss with him when we next catch up.

Kind regards

Dave

David Newton

Managing Director
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 07:23:40 PM »
I personally don't think we have any feature of our old ground that is iconic enough other than the floodlights to take with us to the new ground.
Just a shame that we don't have an old clock or emblem to grace the new ground.
Perhaps though we could have a grassed seating area outside were we could use a section of the old turf.
Probably wouldn't get much use in the winter but certainly would in the summer.
Be nice to sit out and have a beer, with the old turf under your feet.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 07:32:34 PM »

I've said all along a clock on one of the stands, or an electronic scoreboard would really benefit what looks like a very bland new ground.

On the contrary Andy I am open to all fans suggestions all I meant was those that have supported this will choose which  suggestion is taken up.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 07:45:02 PM »

Just my opinion Mel, but could we not have a secure display type cabinet.  Situate it in our new club house, and display all things concerning United and it's history.  I did notice in the board room cuttings concerning our unbeaten run, this is history that non supporters realise.  It could be a kind of miniature and concise history of our great club.  It could be nice and long and wall mounted.

Mick I think plans are being made by  BUSA for this type of thing, certainly it would be nice for visiting school children to learn about the heritage of the club. Either as you suggest in the club house or a community heritage center.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 07:49:01 PM »

I think this is covered Mick. One player who played at Wembley has already unbelievably offered me his medal for such a display.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 01:55:33 AM »

On the contrary Andy I am open to all fans suggestions all I meant was those that have supported this will choose which  suggestion is taken up.
Perhaps though we could have a grassed seating area outside were we could use a section of the old turf.
Probably wouldn't get much use in the winter but certainly would in the summer.
Be nice to sit out and have a beer, with the old turf under your feet.
Modify message
Report to moderator
"I don't believe you""

Becky

• Upon This Ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 08:30:14 PM »

I am only speaking on behalf of myself at the moment, but I am sure we have items that we could loan to the club.  There are definitely many photos of Dad’s especially of the trip to Germany for example.  Also there is the Wembley ‘85 flag he made that flew at the ground and was on the front of the open top bus.

The Chief

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »
I think an area within the ground i.e. a room or hall area that people pass through could contain glazed cabinets showing memorabilia at the Club and anything that supporters would want on display would be a great idea. I bet there are dozens of supporters with bits and pieces that could go on display. Until the internal layout of the stadium is sorted it would be difficult to quite know where it would sit so to speak. I also think some sort of electronic clock or scoreboard as suggested would be a great idea. There will be nothing in the plans/budget for such an extra. It would be something the supporters would be able to see and know they had contributed too. Just a thought.

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 05:50:57 PM »
Have the roads names been picked yet?

Maybe, if not, they could be named after former Pilgrim legends, Same with the stands, boardrooms and suites.

Would be good to turn into Cook lane,
Park up in Hardy or Ellender car park, after all their clearances sometimes ended up in a car park,
Walk down Mc Kenna avenue to have a pint, he liked a pint, and call the club house Bastock arms.
Go Into the main Blackwell's stand to watch the match and see Kabia stand opposite.

Could obviously be many more names, Just my favourites listed in my tenure as a fan.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 10:12:10 PM »
I'd take the flags to the new ground
How many new grounds have the flags on each stand roof like we have?

I'd agree with whoever said a walk of legends. I wonder if a time capsule can be built either on the current site or the new site with memorabilia from recent times, albeit not that we've had cause to celebrate in a decade!!!

Can we take our old fashioned goals with proper stations. Very few of them left too!

The big welcome to Boston sign that's outside the YS end?

The old turnstiles at the YS end can't be left. For scrap either