Author Topic: Signing N0 1  (Read 11896 times)

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
Signing N0 1
« on: May 10, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »
Luke Shiels .
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Signing N0 1
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »
Excellent signing.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »
Quality that's for sure.
Well done Craig and Craig.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 03:57:02 PM »
I see that CE has said that he is "the leader we have been after for a while", is this hinting at a possible captaincy role for him next season?

York Street Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 04:02:09 PM »
Looks a very good signing that

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 05:20:42 PM »
I see that CE has said that he is "the leader we have been after for a while", is this hinting at a possible captaincy role for him next season?

Could well be, think George might not be automatic first choice.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 10:31:36 PM »
Shield got 7 yellow and 1 red card.this season. Another Middleton?

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 05:59:09 PM »
Excellent signing.

One of Alfreton's avid supporters who contributes to the 'onefootballforum' wholeheartedly agrees:-

Alfreton captain and Supporters Player of the season Luke Shiels has signed for Boston United.
Huge loss for us. Quality centre back at this level.

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »

Without having seen him play - but based on 2018/2019 stats and how we have all seen the way Middleton conducts himself on the pitch - I wouldn't think so.

Ken's stats shows that Ben made 22 appearances in 2018/2019 and had 6 yellow cards and 2 red cards.

Luke Shiels made 36 appearances and received, as you state, 7 yellow cards and 1 red card (do we know how this came about, was if this was two yellows or a straight red?) I don't really believe that 7 yellows in 36 games for a central defender is excessive, especially given how easily refs produce them these days.

The rate at which Ben was picking up cards, had he made 36 appearances he was 'on target' for 3 or 4 more yellows and another red. And we know that most of his are as a result of some reckless tackles, and often quite stupid decision making. 10 yellows and 3 reds in 36 appearances probably would be counted as bordering on excessive.

I suppose we'll soon see though after a few matches if Shiels is another Middleton, or simply a hard robust defender more in the Pearson / Pidge mould. If he is - or even if he's just a little below their standard - I'm sure we'll not be too concerned with getting 7 yellows over the course of the season. 

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 05:57:51 PM »

Without having seen him play - but based on 2018/2019 stats and how we have all seen the way Middleton conducts himself on the pitch - I wouldn't think so.

Ken's stats shows that Ben made 22 appearances in 2018/2019 and had 6 yellow cards and 2 red cards.

Luke Shiels made 36 appearances and received, as you state, 7 yellow cards and 1 red card (do we know how this came about, was if this was two yellows or a straight red?) I don't really believe that 7 yellows in 36 games for a central defender is excessive, especially given how easily refs produce them these days.

The rate at which Ben was picking up cards, had he made 36 appearances he was 'on target' for 3 or 4 more yellows and another red. And we know that most of his are as a result of some reckless tackles, and often quite stupid decision making. 10 yellows and 3 reds in 36 appearances probably would be counted as bordering on excessive.

I suppose we'll soon see though after a few matches if Shiels is another Middleton, or simply a hard robust defender more in the Pearson / Pidge mould. If he is - or even if he's just a little below their standard - I'm sure we'll not be too concerned with getting 7 yellows over the course of the season.
i may be wrong, but Paul Ellender once got 18 yellows in a season. that didn't make him a bad defender, nor a liability, did it? just a committed player. let's hope for another like him...
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »
 Midfielder Tom Platt joins us from Alferton.
Welcome Tom to Boston.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 07:16:12 PM »

Well said - Ellender was a god!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:54:54 PM by Burgh Boy »
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »
i may be wrong, but Paul Ellender once got 18 yellows in a season. that didn't make him a bad defender, nor a liability, did it? just a committed player. let's hope for another like him...

Very feasible. As long as defenders (or anyone) aren't consistently getting a 2nd booking during a game, it's fine. I'd expect central defenders to be suspended at least once during a season for accumulation of bookings.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 10:58:02 PM »
Not a bad summary, Scotty. As you say, as long as not a second booking each game. Am I correct (and you will know the answer to this) but Ellender only received one Red Card during his brilliant and lengthy stay with The Pilgrims?
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 09:00:45 AM »
I remember Ellender giving a very dubious penalty away at Scunthorpe.  It was the same match were Bazza saved on the line, but the goal was awarded even thou his body obstructed the view.

I remember both incidents being shown on Sky, and the studio pundits in disbelief at both decisions.

Paul was a solid but sometimes clumsy defender, but I would put him in the BUFC legend class.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late