Author Topic: Another one on his way....  (Read 9725 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Another one on his way....
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 02:32:37 PM »
TUTUN      12 goals in last 79 games
                1 goal in last 47 games (over three and half seasons .)

C.B.

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 03:28:53 PM »
Would certainly like George Smith back

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 07:31:31 AM »
TUTUN      12 goals in last 79 games
                1 goal in last 47 games (over three and half seasons .)
Prolific then, another Margets  l fear.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 08:03:14 AM »

Why would we need two dedicated left-backs? Think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »

Why would we need two dedicated left-backs? Think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Didn't George play a more forward role in the last home game - an indicator of where he might be preferred?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 10:02:37 AM »
Wasn't he just filling in for Nicky Walker?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for depth, but I doubt George Smith would be cheap and to be honest Boston's left flank doesn't concern me so much as to chuck that much money at it. I'd rather the budget went towards a proven goal-scorer.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 02:16:59 PM »

I think we'll probably look at getting 3 players to fill the 2 postions, plus one for the bench for versatility. Walker can play both sides, and up front if required.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »

I think we'll probably look at getting 3 players to fill the 2 postions, plus one for the bench for versatility. Walker can play both sides, and up front if required.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that Smith was on big wages at Chesterfield. Like I say, I'd rather that money was spent elsewhere. Unless, of course, he opts to take a dramatic cut.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 04:42:36 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for depth, but I doubt George Smith would be cheap and to be honest Boston's left flank doesn't concern me so much as to chuck that much money at it. I'd rather the budget went towards a proven goal-scorer.
I second that.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 06:58:13 PM »
We need most of all a proven goalscorer in the vein of any one of: Kirk, Clare, Newsham, Southwell, Suarez, Miller*, Thompson* (minus the convictions*). I get people's reservations about maybe 50% of the eight or so contracted so far, but DN did say to me 1:1 that there is obviously a limited budget (even if larger than last year) and I think we have to respect that realism, given there would simply be no club in 2019 without DN. So I am still keeping the faith that 4 really decent players can be found. And I've bought our 4 season tickets for 19/20.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 07:18:37 PM »
We need most of all a proven goalscorer in the vein of any one of: Kirk, Clare, Newsham, Southwell, Suarez, Miller*, Thompson* (minus the convictions*). I get people's reservations about maybe 50% of the eight or so contracted so far, but DN did say to me 1:1 that there is obviously a limited budget (even if larger than last year) and I think we have to respect that realism, given there would simply be no club in 2019 without DN. So I am still keeping the faith that 4 really decent players can be found. And I've bought our 4 season tickets for 19/20.
as we know, CE seems to prefer a target man. If he were available would we be happy to see our old nemesis Tom "the elbow" Denton in black and Amber?
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 08:47:04 PM »

Proven goalscorers are expensive. Southwell and Miller were far from proven. Miller was scoring goals but at 2 levels below at Stamford. Southwell had scored very few goals in his career before coming to Boston. Both were great finds that the then manager took a punt on and paid off.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 07:38:36 AM »
as we know, CE seems to prefer a target man. If he were available would we be happy to see our old nemesis Tom "the elbow" Denton in black and Amber?
He refused to come on loan to us last season,so you wouldn't put money on him coming here.
But you never know, l personally have never seen him play so can't comment on what he is like.
"I don't believe you""

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 08:25:06 AM »

Proven goalscorers are expensive. Southwell and Miller were far from proven. Miller was scoring goals but at 2 levels below at Stamford. Southwell had scored very few goals in his career before coming to Boston. Both were great finds that the then manager took a punt on and paid off.

They are indeed expensive, which is why I'm so hesitant about lobbing a chunk of the budget at George Smith! But fact is, we really do need one if we're going to turn this team into one that can make the play-offs (and end sufficiently high in them to get a bye to the second round).

Does Thewlis fit into that "proven" category? Hmm. Not sure, but Elliott clearly rates him as one, so we may end up with him and perhaps either another young player dropping down a la Southwell, or a prolific scorer from a lower level stepping up. Not sure we have the cash to prise away a solid, proven striker already at another VN club. Always happy to be proven wrong though!