Author Topic: Interesting .....take two.  (Read 9243 times)

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting .....take two.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 07:36:12 AM »
Brackley are considered to have the second biggest budget in the league. I'm guessing we're not number one.

Brackley always makes the play-offs , but never get promotion ,  canny manager I reckon !
Kevin Wilkin is someone l have admired for sometime, yes a very canny manager.
Yes they always fall at the last hurdle, but he will get there in the end.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 07:24:15 PM »
Brackley are considered to have the second biggest budget in the league. I'm guessing we're not number one.

Brackley always makes the play-offs , but never get promotion ,  canny manager I reckon !
I have a sort of conspiracy theory about serial runner ups.....Chairmen obviusly love the money gained in the push for playoffs and indeed the extra revenue the playoffs themselves bring. But I bet there's some who've breathed a private sigh of relief  when an honourable defeat comes along, rather than the expense incurred going a division higher. I'm not tarring every club with the same brush by any means, but could some sides really afford to play in the higher division with their average gates and assumed much reduced revenue? I am suggesting however that possibly some chairman might well prefer to stay where they are. (And I'm not insinuating anything about ours)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 07:28:16 PM by The Third Twin »
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 07:38:08 PM »

I have a sort of conspiracy theory about serial runner ups.....Chairmen obviusly love the money gained in the push for playoffs and indeed the extra revenue the playoffs themselves bring. But I bet there's some who've breathed a private sigh of relief  when an honourable defeat comes along, rather than the expense incurred going a division higher. I'm not tarring every club with the same brush by any means, but could some sides really afford to play in the higher division with their average gates and assumed much reduced revenue? I am suggesting however that possibly some chairman might well prefer to stay where they are. (And I'm not insinuating anything about ours)

I was thinking along different lines to that TTT .     

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 08:28:32 AM »
Wasn't that the accusation chucked at the Malkinson back in the 90s, that he was perfectly content with the club being a solid Unibond side but didn't want promotion? Leading into that grand conspiracy theory that did the rounds when John Blackwell "forgot" to send the form off applying for promotion that season (1995?).

I seem to recall Boston Town were considered similarly reluctant to win their league in the mid-90s! Andy Sandall might have been able to tell us if there was any truth in that if he were still around these forums.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 12:40:16 PM »
I thought with Boston Town it was because they didn't want to spend £1000s on doing up Tatt Road in order to be eligible for promotion. Since they have improved the ground, they've not had the team to get promoted!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 02:31:13 PM »
I thought with Boston Town it was because they didn't want to spend £1000s on doing up Tatt Road in order to be eligible for promotion. Since they have improved the ground, they've not had the team to get promoted!

That might be it. Am I right in thinking they actually won the league but didn't apply for promotion then?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 07:59:40 PM »

That might be it. Am I right in thinking they actually won the league but didn't apply for promotion then?

1994/95 and 2000/01. We finished 2nd in the UniBond in 1995/96.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/