Author Topic: Expiring contracts  (Read 3513 times)

delbar

• View Profile
Expiring contracts
« on: April 29, 2019, 06:55:55 PM »
Who would you choose to keep out of those players who are about to be out of contract?

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Expiring contracts
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 09:39:19 PM »
Who would you choose to keep out of those players who are about to be out of contract?
Ben Davis
Ben Middleton
George Smith
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 07:02:47 AM »
Ben Davis
Ben Middleton
George Smith
only Smith for me from your three OBT. Davies for me has gone off the further the season has gone, possibly age being a factor. Middleton is a liability IMO. You never know if or when he will go pop. If you read back to posts regarding Gregg Smith and his temper, my opinion of BM is the same. The extra effort you get out there is undone my his own lack of restraint sometimes. Quality wise he's a decent player at this level, but as I say....
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 08:25:42 PM »
In spite of his age (?) he can still show the youngsters how to centre the ball to team mates in a crowded penalty area and take free kicks.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 11:01:56 PM »
In spite of his age (?) he can still show the youngsters how to centre the ball to team mates in a crowded penalty area and take free kicks.
I've no doubt he has the best set piece delivery in last season's squad. My age concern (pardon the pun) is IMO he's been often caught out of position and doesn't have any pace to get back when he's been beaten. I've felt that as the seasons gone on the oppostion left sided players have often been able to exploit space in that area and created a good many chances. Maybe I'm doing him an injustice as I genuinely believe he's one of the most capable players we watched last season. The question originally "would I give him another year? No. Sorry, I think we've seen the best of his latter playing years already. If he stays and proves my opinion wrong, I will happily admit I'm wrong and apologise. To take your point of him showing the youngsters, then maybe give him some coaching responsibilities? You're right he could teach younger players a lot.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 07:13:13 AM »
Middleton is a liability IMO. You never know if or when he will go pop. If you read back to posts regarding Gregg Smith and his temper, my opinion of BM is the same. The extra effort you get out there is undone my his own lack of restraint sometimes. Quality wise he's a decent player at this level, but as I say....

I think you have to make more of an allowance with younger players. How old was David Beckham when he kicked out petulantly at Diego Simeone in the World Cup? Would it have been right after that if Beckham had never played for England again? I think Ben Middleton still has time on his side to learn from past incidents, and there's enough ability in there to warrant another season. If he was two or three years older and still picking up red cards it'd be a different matter.