Author Topic: Hereford  (Read 16101 times)

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hereford
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 01:38:50 PM »
Glad we've ended season with a good away win. Just looking at the Conference table & no northern clubs in the relegation places. How will it pan out then for places in our league 4 next season?
looking at who may get moved across to us from the south, Oxford city were deemed northern 3 or 4 seasons ago, I remember them stuffing Dennis Greens team 7-2 at York Street one night. However, geographically further north are St Albans, Hemel and Braintree, so my guess would be 2 of those moving over.

Yes that could happen. We had Bishops Stortford not that long ago & as U say Oxford City. Really fancied South Sields to win the northern Prem. I see they are in play offs. They have major investment going on & can see them in our league next season. It's ifs &  buts at mo, but re us: As much as I like CE, he has much to improve on! Personally, I believe if he was to deliver it would have been this season. Enough has been said on here re: 50 signings etc. For me his judgement on players is at best questionable. However importantly in the entire season the only performances noteworthy were on the road. Sincerely hope I'm wrong but cannot see a major points return from home games next season either. Don't entirely understand this issue, but unless he has a clear out & gets some leaders on the park, I see it being sadly similar next season.
I share some of your fears regarding CE and his players judgement, and I've often asked myself is it because it's CE himself who's failed to make the jump from Shaw Lane's level, and as successful as he was there with many of the players we've seen him sign, some players and managers just don't ever make the next step up. Everybody has their level, and I wonder whether the issue is that Shaw Lane was his? And I too thought this season was his opportunity and time to deliver. CE talked often late in the season about it being a massive learning curve, well much as I think managers deserve time, they also need to learn.....

But they also have to be given the time to learn, sometimes it takes a bit longer to learn all you need to know about any job, and nobody will ever be "Perfect".

That's true. Craigs honest, he's young, & he's regularly said he's learned a lot this season. It's all about next season now & I wish him all the best to get it sorted. Don't think he's one for bailing out & he wants to give us a successfull side. Have a good summer everybody.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 01:44:45 PM »
We could also be facing Kings Lynn next season if they get promotion through the playoffs, which would mean Mr Marriott could be playing against us.
Kettering and Kings Lynn in our league now wouldn't that be something to look forward too.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 02:20:52 PM »
Super play offs this year at the level below us. King's Lynn have to win their game on Wednesday night, then the final at the weekend and then play the NPL play offs winner the following weekend. Don't envy that route. Adam Marriott. His sister is officiating the women's fa cup final this year.

TEP

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 03:05:20 PM »
Super play offs this year at the level below us. King's Lynn have to win their game on Wednesday night, then the final at the weekend and then play the NPL play offs winner the following weekend. Don't envy that route. Adam Marriott. His sister is officiating the women's fa cup final this year.

TEP
Bloody hell that is a  hard task and route.
I didn't realise that was his sister, you are a wealth of knowledge  TEP.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 03:18:36 PM »

TEP
Bloody hell that is a  hard task and route.
I didn't realise that was his sister, you are a wealth of knowledge  TEP.

So is Google - other search engines are available. :D

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 04:28:17 PM »
It's all due to the introduction of an extra division at the level below us, where they had to get 6 promotions from 4 divisions.

However, next season, there will only be 2 go down from our league, as there will be 24 teams for 2020/21.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 10:54:35 PM »
King's Lynn's play off match against Stratford on Wednesday has now been postponed due to Stratford potentially having played someone they shouldn't have.

southender

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 10:56:07 PM »
Well am I glad this season is over? You bet I am. Having supported the Pilgrims for over 50 years I have never wanted the season to finish as much as this season and that includes when we were relegated from the Football League. This season has been utter garbage, I am not one who thought we would win the league nor that we have a divine right to get into the play offs. But I do expect we should be entertained at York Street and for the most part of this season we have not.

I was very much in favour of Craig's appointment last season and impressed by the entertainment we witnessed in the second half of the season. I was not disappointed that we didn't reach the play offs as I thought it may have been too soon. I was disappointed we were unable to keep the spine of that team (probably due to money?) but felt we should not overstretch ourselves financially - we have been there before. I was not carried away by the "star" signings in the close season as I questioned their recent record but fully supported them being moved on quickly as I thought they were a disruptive influence on the team.

But after that I have become increasingly annoyed by what I have seen at home matches. Such as before signing Allott and Smith hoofing the ball up to a non existent target man for a full game - and it wasn't working so for Gods sake change it.  The ball kept coming back to put pressure on a shaky defence and ultimately goals were conceded and games lost - easily. I may not have managed a team, nor won a league title, but even I could work out it wasn't working.

Turning over nearly 50 players in a season will not bring success. Craig, you may like tinkering with your team but such a large turnover of players will not bring consistency or team spirit. I doubt whether the teams who finished in the play offs fielded anything like the number we did.

What happened to Thanoj and Abbott? From being as good as any midfield pairing in the league last season both players suffered alarming dips in form this season. Why? Are the players not up to it or too big for their boots or is it down to the manager/tactics? Whichever why are they signed for next season? Because I am left thinking we will get more of the same next season.

After the defeat by Altrincham earlier in the year I left the game wondering why I had bothered coming to the game. Not because we had lost or to a late goal. But we had been soundly beaten, anything less would have been an injustice to Altrincham. The games against Telford, Stockport and Chorley did not show an improvement to me, just how far adrift we were from having a play off team. Craig said we were not good enough for the play offs in March most supporters knew that in October.

For the last 12 years I have sponsored the team to say thank you to the Chestnuts for saving my club, to do my little bit. Next season I won't and I feel very guilty about that, disloyal to them. But I will not reward a manager (and team) who have given so little this season for him to waste during the close season. I may be wrong, I hope I am. If he changes the way the team plays to produce more entertaining football (and I do not mean winning) or indeed leaves I will sponsor the team again.

What I have said may upset some supporters but that is how I have felt this season (but pleased for our away support who have been rewarded with most of our better performances). And yes I will watch them again next season but may not attend as many games if this season's level of entertainment continues.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »
It's what you some times get when a manager goes up a level and is on a steep learning curve. You potentially get through a lot of players, experiment a fair bit and lose quite a few games. Unfortunately  many of those have been at home this season.

We all want to entertained but Clubs go through phases and we always have to hope that next year will be our year. We may win every game 1-0 and the tactics may be really boring.

It could have been worse. We could have been relegated and be looking for yet another manager.....'the one'

TEP

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 10:26:22 AM »
Well am I glad this season is over? You bet I am. Having supported the Pilgrims for over 50 years I have never wanted the season to finish as much as this season and that includes when we were relegated from the Football League. This season has been utter garbage, I am not one who thought we would win the league nor that we have a divine right to get into the play offs. But I do expect we should be entertained at York Street and for the most part of this season we have not.

I was very much in favour of Craig's appointment last season and impressed by the entertainment we witnessed in the second half of the season. I was not disappointed that we didn't reach the play offs as I thought it may have been too soon. I was disappointed we were unable to keep the spine of that team (probably due to money?) but felt we should not overstretch ourselves financially - we have been there before. I was not carried away by the "star" signings in the close season as I questioned their recent record but fully supported them being moved on quickly as I thought they were a disruptive influence on the team.

But after that I have become increasingly annoyed by what I have seen at home matches. Such as before signing Allott and Smith hoofing the ball up to a non existent target man for a full game - and it wasn't working so for Gods sake change it.  The ball kept coming back to put pressure on a shaky defence and ultimately goals were conceded and games lost - easily. I may not have managed a team, nor won a league title, but even I could work out it wasn't working.

Turning over nearly 50 players in a season will not bring success. Craig, you may like tinkering with your team but such a large turnover of players will not bring consistency or team spirit. I doubt whether the teams who finished in the play offs fielded anything like the number we did.

What happened to Thanoj and Abbott? From being as good as any midfield pairing in the league last season both players suffered alarming dips in form this season. Why? Are the players not up to it or too big for their boots or is it down to the manager/tactics? Whichever why are they signed for next season? Because I am left thinking we will get more of the same next season.

After the defeat by Altrincham earlier in the year I left the game wondering why I had bothered coming to the game. Not because we had lost or to a late goal. But we had been soundly beaten, anything less would have been an injustice to Altrincham. The games against Telford, Stockport and Chorley did not show an improvement to me, just how far adrift we were from having a play off team. Craig said we were not good enough for the play offs in March most supporters knew that in October.

For the last 12 years I have sponsored the team to say thank you to the Chestnuts for saving my club, to do my little bit. Next season I won't and I feel very guilty about that, disloyal to them. But I will not reward a manager (and team) who have given so little this season for him to waste during the close season. I may be wrong, I hope I am. If he changes the way the team plays to produce more entertaining football (and I do not mean winning) or indeed leaves I will sponsor the team again.

What I have said may upset some supporters but that is how I have felt this season (but pleased for our away support who have been rewarded with most of our better performances). And yes I will watch them again next season but may not attend as many games if this season's level of entertainment continues.

Bang on, I've renewed today but only on the basis that its the last season at the best ground outside the football league and its been my second home for 42 years. Once we move to Legoland that will almost certainly be it for me, in my mind BUFC belong in Boston, not in Wyberton at the back of a field on the edge of town. My contempt and loathing for what Evans did to this club to necessitate this move knows no end, its matched only by my anger at the 'fans' who welcomed him back like some sort of hero and then disappeared never to return after he declared 'season over' after a pitiful surrender to Lincoln.

The debt owed to DN and his company is immeasurable. Sadly subsequent manager and players have continued to let us all down to the point we're now seen as a middling club in a league below our natural level.   

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »
Nothing we can do if the landlords want to sell.

And as much as we love it, YS is no longer fit for purpose. It's an obsolete 70s design, expensive to maintain, and earns us pitiful levels of non-matchday income.

I highly doubt the York Street site is big enough to accomodate a new stadium that complies with the Green Guide even if we owned the site and had money in the bank to build it.

I agree the Wyberton site is a bit too out of town for my liking, but it's preferable to the Boardsides proposal and I can't think of any suitable sites closer to the town.

Is what it is.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2019, 01:17:44 PM »
Nothing we can do if the landlords want to sell.

And as much as we love it, YS is no longer fit for purpose. It's an obsolete 70s design, expensive to maintain, and earns us pitiful levels of non-matchday income.

I highly doubt the York Street site is big enough to accomodate a new stadium that complies with the Green Guide even if we owned the site and had money in the bank to build it.

I agree the Wyberton site is a bit too out of town for my liking, but it's preferable to the Boardsides proposal and I can't think of any suitable sites closer to the town.

Is what it is.

I would be interested to know if anyone can suggest where BUFC could have been relocated that is preferable to the chosen site.  Moving to the new stadium is not a reason to stop being a supporter.
United we stand..................

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 04:49:25 PM »
The closest clear/farming areas that would be suitable are near Toot Lane, at the back of Co Op on Eastwood Road, the other side of the Crem or Wyberton West Road...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 07:23:42 PM »
It's almost unbelievable that someone will stop going to support the Club because they are moving just outside of the town. It's not easy keeping our fans happy !

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 08:20:39 PM »
In spite of all the ups and downs this season, we ended up only 7 points off the play-offs. The phrase "if only" applies to some of those matches we should have won but didn`t.