Author Topic: Hereford  (Read 16551 times)

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Hereford
« on: April 27, 2019, 09:24:59 PM »
I must admit I feared the worst ahead of this, long away trip with a decimated squad, many of them I thought would be on the proverbial beach.

But was pleased with the attitude and application shown, we got a bit lucky with the first goal but defended well, with Willis having a good game in particular. Doubt the Hereford manager will be there next season given some of the chants in his direction.

Anyway enjoy the summer folks

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hereford
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 10:52:26 PM »
Glad we've ended season with a good away win. Just looking at the Conference table & no northern clubs in the relegation places. How will it pan out then for places in our league 4 next season?

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 11:00:39 PM »
Southern teams get transferred
Gloucester most likely for one

Good performance today. Rode our luck at times but were very clinical up top.  Bit like watching the alty away performance albeit Willis having to make 2 very good saves this afternoon.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:12:58 AM »
A good end to a poor season that promised so much and yet ended finishing in the bottom half of the table.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 08:31:41 AM »
Glad we've ended season with a good away win. Just looking at the Conference table & no northern clubs in the relegation places. How will it pan out then for places in our league 4 next season?
looking at who may get moved across to us from the south, Oxford city were deemed northern 3 or 4 seasons ago, I remember them stuffing Dennis Greens team 7-2 at York Street one night. However, geographically further north are St Albans, Hemel and Braintree, so my guess would be 2 of those moving over.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

SMELLS LIKE VICTORY

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 10:01:22 AM »
A good end to a poor season that promised so much and yet ended finishing in the bottom half of the table.
Splitting hairs, maybe; but we finished 11th- top half, just.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »

Is Maths not your strongpoint? 11th out of 22 is top half.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 01:44:20 PM »

Is tact and diplomacy not your strong point P86? Also spelling, I think you'll find strong and point are two separate words.

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 02:56:41 PM »
looking at who may get moved across to us from the south, Oxford city were deemed northern 3 or 4 seasons ago, I remember them stuffing Dennis Greens team 7-2 at York Street one night. However, geographically further north are St Albans, Hemel and Braintree, so my guess would be 2 of those moving over.

Yes that could happen. We had Bishops Stortford not that long ago & as U say Oxford City. Really fancied South Sields to win the northern Prem. I see they are in play offs. They have major investment going on & can see them in our league next season. It's ifs &  buts at mo, but re us: As much as I like CE, he has much to improve on! Personally, I believe if he was to deliver it would have been this season. Enough has been said on here re: 50 signings etc. For me his judgement on players is at best questionable. However importantly in the entire season the only performances noteworthy were on the road. Sincerely hope I'm wrong but cannot see a major points return from home games next season either. Don't entirely understand this issue, but unless he has a clear out & gets some leaders on the park, I see it being sadly similar next season.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 04:31:58 PM »

Is tact and diplomacy not your strong point P86? Also spelling, I think you'll find strong and point are two separate words.

You might want to check that!

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/strongpoint
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 07:31:25 PM »

Yes that could happen. We had Bishops Stortford not that long ago & as U say Oxford City. Really fancied South Sields to win the northern Prem. I see they are in play offs. They have major investment going on & can see them in our league next season. It's ifs &  buts at mo, but re us: As much as I like CE, he has much to improve on! Personally, I believe if he was to deliver it would have been this season. Enough has been said on here re: 50 signings etc. For me his judgement on players is at best questionable. However importantly in the entire season the only performances noteworthy were on the road. Sincerely hope I'm wrong but cannot see a major points return from home games next season either. Don't entirely understand this issue, but unless he has a clear out & gets some leaders on the park, I see it being sadly similar next season.
I share some of your fears regarding CE and his players judgement, and I've often asked myself is it because it's CE himself who's failed to make the jump from Shaw Lane's level, and as successful as he was there with many of the players we've seen him sign, some players and managers just don't ever make the next step up. Everybody has their level, and I wonder whether the issue is that Shaw Lane was his? And I too thought this season was his opportunity and time to deliver. CE talked often late in the season about it being a massive learning curve, well much as I think managers deserve time, they also need to learn.....
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »

I share some of your fears regarding CE and his players judgement, and I've often asked myself is it because it's CE himself who's failed to make the jump from Shaw Lane's level, and as successful as he was there with many of the players we've seen him sign, some players and managers just don't ever make the next step up. Everybody has their level, and I wonder whether the issue is that Shaw Lane was his? And I too thought this season was his opportunity and time to deliver. CE talked often late in the season about it being a massive learning curve, well much as I think managers deserve time, they also need to learn.....

But they also have to be given the time to learn, sometimes it takes a bit longer to learn all you need to know about any job, and nobody will ever be "Perfect".

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 10:10:27 AM »

You might want to check that!

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/strongpoint

My apologies Scotty - as usual you are correct with both my mathematical error (I had miscounted the number of teams in the League) and definately "strongpoint" is a word. Glad to set the record straight  - we are a top half-side! What would this website be without your knowledge? See you next season.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:19:22 AM by Burgh Boy »
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 12:41:55 PM »
We have finished on a positive with back to back victories and a depleted team.
Those players deserve credit if not for the whole season, but just for the last two games.
Many teams would not have bothered knowing that they are safe and having nothing to play for.
Credit to them for at least giving us something to smile about.
We will just have to wait and see what happens over the summer and also who gets shown the door.
Have a good summer everyone and stay safe, see you all again at pre season.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

brummie exile 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 01:21:49 PM »
Now that the dust has settled...we got 2 points less than last season and were 4 points further away from the play-offs. Those 2 facts show we didn't move forward. On the plus side, 31 points from our away matches is very good. Number one acquisition this summer , IMO, is a creative midfielder. As always, a reliable goalscorer would also be more than welcome. I think the defence is the least of our worries.
As for next season, welcome Farsley Celtic! I had no idea where Farsley was and so had to look it up. It is a district in the west end of Leeds. Also we renew rivalries with Kettering. The third spot for promoted teams is interesting. It could be any one of EIGHT teams ranging from South Shields in the North to Stratford-on-Avon in the South. I couldn't guess what the Conference bigwigs will do about the non-existent relegated clubs from the National Conference. Prepare to be surprised!
Time to sign off now till August. Enjoy the summer.